Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
Steve S

Can I run these direct?

I took these 120 volt puck lights with a converter that steps them down to 12 volt from my house and I want to install them into my TT. There's 10 puck lights and my question is; can I snip the converter and run the puck lights directly from a 12 volt line? Also there's a dimmer somewhere and can this still be used?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170221_141357.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	11882   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170221_141352(1).jpg
Views:	313
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	11883  
Old 02-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I took these 120 volt puck lights with a converter that steps them down to 12 volt from my house and I want to install them into my TT. There's 10 puck lights and my question is; can I snip the converter and run the puck lights directly from a 12 volt line? Also there's a dimmer somewhere and can this still be used?

Can not see why not. You can view that white box as a 12V DC battery with a maximum capacity of 5 amps. Since you said there were ten and I assume daisy chained maybe a halogen bulb in each drawing less than half an amp. As far as that dimmer goes not sure it was reducing the 120V AC input or the 12V DC output to cause the lights to dim. If daisy chained now do you plan on continuing to use them that way or wire each separately?

ADDED: If dimmer worked on the 12V DC side would be able to use
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Can not see why not. You can view that white box as a 12V DC battery with a maximum capacity of 5 amps. Since you said there were ten and I assume daisy chained maybe a halogen bulb in each drawing less than half an amp. As far as that dimmer goes not sure it was reducing the 120V AC input or the 12V DC output to cause the lights to dim. If daisy chained now do you plan on continuing to use them that way or wire each separately?

ADDED: If dimmer worked on the 12V DC side would be able to use
Thanks for the reply It looks like this will be a simple install. Unfortunately the dimmer was on the 120 side but I've noticed a few on Amazon that are 12 volt so I'll order one of those.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Thanks for the reply It looks like this will be a simple install. Unfortunately the dimmer was on the 120 side but I've noticed a few on Amazon that are 12 volt so I'll order one of those.
Steve, keep in mind that these units probably have halogen bulbs in them and will add to your trailer battery/converter load . I guess if not dry camping maybe who cares. However dimming conventional halogen bulbs is definetly less of an issue than Leds.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Steve, keep in mind that these units probably have halogen bulbs in them and will add to your trailer battery/converter load . I guess if not dry camping maybe who cares. However dimming conventional halogen bulbs is definetly less of an issue than Leds.
I'm going to check tomorrow and if they're not LED I'm thinking that I'll scrap the idea as they'll draw too much power while dry camping.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Steve, if you decide you do not want halogen bulbs in those housings you can switch out those halogens for Led equivalents . Again if want to dim these need led that can be dimmed and pick a dimmer and wire accordingly. There are documented issues with led dimmers/wiring