Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
ellisk

Preventing theft of travel trailer?

I haven't even bought one yet but one of my concerns is how to prevent someone from hooking up a TT in my absence and driving off with it?
ellisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
Andymon

There are several types of hitch locks out there.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
GmaPaTime

First choice of many is the hitch ball lock. Many companies make these and they are not very expensive. Another option is a high quality chain and lock between the tire rims.

Just remember and keep in mind that locks keep the honest folks honest but if a crook wants it, they'll get it. It's all about discouragement. All you can hope for is that they'll go for an easier theft somewhere else.

Steve
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

You can buy one of many different hitch locks that prevents the coupler from working. Any lock can be defeated if given enough time and reason for the theft. That's my point, if you know why someone is likely to steal it. As in what use or reason they want to steal it. Wheres the RV at that it might get stolen etc. Over all TTs and 5thwheels do not get stolen from peoples homes, campgrounds, seasonal sites MUCH. Because most crooks do not want them or have the abililty to move them. Motorhomes get stolen at dealers and thru bad sales, then becomes meth labs or moblie transport of crooks out of the area. When I worked auto theft full time, I and my unit recovered about 5030 stolen vehicles in 6 years. 2 motorhomes and 1 5th wheel, I remember only 1 motorhome wheel being stolen in PDX and that was recovered by me. Worry about crooks breaking into it and stealing items. Check with the local police ask if RVs are getting stolen. I doubt they have stats to track them do to low levels of theft.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
T3/T4 Hybrid

Make sure your insurance will cover you for the loss if it would happen. A few extra $$ through the year is worth it to me.
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #6
GMcKenzie

Only one I have heard of that was stolen was my neighbours. It was in front of their house, connected to their F250 and the thieves took both. It was recovered but they were pretty badly damaged.

I'm more worried about my truck being stolen than my trailer, but do use a decent tongue lock.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
tirnanah

I put a tongue lock, and I lock the ball lock down onto that... I'm also thinking about adding a battery disconnect that I can pull the key to so the electric jack doesn't work even with the batteries hooked up... That makes it three things they have to cut/dismantle in order to hook up and take the trailer...

I figure if I make it too much trouble with a good chance of getting caught in the time it takes to bypass everything, they will just move on to the next one (sorry neighbors )....
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
racin500

Just saw a FB post today with a picture of someones TT being stolen out of a park while they were gone. Neighbor RV got a photo of the thieves truck. FB site "RV Tips".
2007 Chevy 3500 6.6L Allison, Crew Cab, Dually, Long-bed, 4x4
2007 Everest 295TS
https://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...116708&thumb=1
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Theft or maybe a repo?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Chuck brought up a excellent point. Repos happen every day thru out the USA.
I once was dispatched to take a stolen report of a in bed truck camper. In Oregon repo guys are required to phone police within 30 mins. I was there starting the report when dispatch radioed me it was a repo. I ask the guy if he was missing payments and yes he was but, figured no would repo a camper.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #11
theeyres

I really do think theft of a TT is way down on my list. It does happen but very rarely. I'll bet you can't find one, if any, of people on this huge forum that have had their TT stolen. Lock up the hitch and don't worry about it.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
Pmedic4

Travel Trailer stolen

I was just reading on a Facebook forum for all RVs, about a person who just had their TT stolen, so it does happen. Northern Illinois, looks like a Winnebago model.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #13
zenbuck

This is an interesting video to watch.. I do not have this lock but it looks like it is almost bullet proof...

https://youtu.be/-G_zz80h_Tc

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500
zenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #14
Ken / Claudia

I don't do face book but, would like to know details about the theft. If it was seen and photographed did they say they phoned the police and did they crooks get caught and did the RV get back to the owners and brought back to the park. Did the owners say anything on FB about it or was it just a person nearby who took a photograph a RV being moved, stolen or repo'ed. If nothing in the story is about police phoned, I would tend to think it was not stolen. But, I do know we have many people who witness crimes and talk and post about it but, do nothing to help, not even a call to police.

Note: I send a email to a friend at NICB, (National Insurance Crime Bureau) they have and keep data from all reported vehicle theft. If and when I get any information back I will share. None is available on the public site that I looked up. I am guessing because it is so low.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #15
summerhummer

TT theft does happen. My 32 ft 2004 terry quantum was stolen 8/27/2013 a few days before labor day. ( probably preplanned since sooo many TT are on the road then) It was never recovered. I had the battery out and a hitch lock.. My down fall was my slides were in... I usually leave them out.... The more stuff they have to do to steal your rig the better it is for you. Meaning the mor stuff they have to do in order to steal it, they may move on to someone else. My new rig has the mega hitch lock in the video above, I always leave slides out, no battery is present and I have a a wheel lock on each side of the trailer. You cant be too safe. They must have targeted me since Where my TT was, was a busy place someone was always there as it was a business with many tenants. They came in the wee hours of the morning right at sun up. When my friend told me it was gone I thought it was a joke but it was really gone as in stolen.... Always let folks know your plans he thought I pulled out early... In these cases you gotta do your own detective work. Most cities don't know how to track down TT's or much about them being stolen....

I was furious and my 5 and 3 year old are broken hearted. We were going camping that weekend. Kids shouldn't have to deal with that type of crap. I hated to see them so disappointed in humanity so young. The Police Department took a report but I was not very hopeful.

Please if you live in the South east keep an eye out. It says Terry Quantum on all 4 sides. I assume it is in Georgia or South Carolina probably at some deer or fish camp.
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #16
summerhummer

it had a pack and play door on both sides which made it sort of unique. it also had blue colored furniture inside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111zzz.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	8363   Click image for larger version

Name:	111zzz1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	8364  
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #17
denverpilot

I bought a hitch lock from a trailer dealer (cargo, not RV) thinking it was useful. 2 minutes with a pry bar and it was in bent pieces when I misplaced the trailer keys and left them at home when towing it somewhere once.

Don't go cheap of you're buying s hitch lock. And don't trust a trailer place to sell you one that'll actually deter anyone, either.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #18
dwayneb236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Chuck brought up a excellent point. Repos happen every day thru out the USA.
I once was dispatched to take a stolen report of a in bed truck camper. In Oregon repo guys are required to phone police within 30 mins. I was there starting the report when dispatch radioed me it was a repo. I ask the guy if he was missing payments and yes he was but, figured no would repo a camper.
Ha, first question I ask when taking a stolen vehicle report. "Do you own the vehicle or are you making payments. And are you behind on those payments "..
Hitch lock, tongue lock and in a "secure" storage area. So far so good. Knock on wood.
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 AM   #19
cabinfever

I would think a Pro Pride or Hensley Hitch on a TT would be a good theft deterrent.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:03 PM   #20
Timon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisk View Post
I haven't even bought one yet but one of my concerns is how to prevent someone from hooking up a TT in my absence and driving off with it?
You'll never be able to totally secure your rig so I would suggest adding a GPS tracker. I'm planing to add them to the 5er when we get it along with the TV and our Dodge Journey.

The one I like that doesn't cost much, doesn't use cellular connection is the Spot Trace. It only cost $99 plus a the waterproof cable, $49, which lets you power if from any 8 to 22V source. The yearly cost for the tracking service is $99 so it's not bad at all.

There are several modes it operates in including geo fence, motion, daily status and many more.

It's small and easy to hide although you need to make sure you don't out it where it's shielded from the satellites. If you have a fiberglass or rubber roof then someplace in the roof would be good or maybe under the AC cover. Use you imagination.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote