Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
theasphaltrv'er

26sab Bedroom Steps Mod (redone)

So far we have been very pleased with our 26sab. Only complaint is with the 2 steps up to the bedroom. They're each bout 9 1/2" high. DW decided that they needed to be rebuilt into 3 steps so each wouldn't be so high. So I designed a three step set that would be 6 1/2" high. They had to be designed so the pantry door could still open. I made the frame out of 1/2" birth plywood and stained it a dark cherry to match the cabinets. Also made the step landings out of the same plywood and glued cherry laminate to the top of em. (laminate was leftover from a S&B flooring job I did). Both landings are removable (small storage spaces also). Top step cuz need to open lower pantry door and lower step so slide would close all the way. Steps turned out perty good alright and most of all...DW loves em.

Picture #1 ... original frame (but slide would not close)
Picture #2 ... modified frame so slide would close
Picture #3 ... bottom step partly done
Pictures #4 & 5 ... Finished product
(frame is secured to back of original steps)

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0018.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	7268

Name:	KIMG0023.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	7269

Name:	KIMG0024.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	7270

Name:	KIMG0028.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	7271

Name:	KIMG0031.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	7272

Addition mods so far include all interior lights replaced w/ LEDS, added sliding drawers in the lower pantry (why step needs to be removable, to open door), electrical mouse hole replaced w/ a 30amp inlet receptacle and removable 30 amp cord, reinstalled PMS management system from former TT, added a shelf under the sink, modified the lower part drawer unit in the bedroom to allow storage under the 2 drawers and added a 12v plug in the front storage bay. More mods to come.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Maybe it's me but I can't see the attachments.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I can't see any of the attachments either. All the links are "invalid".

Your pix are now visible, thanks for editing your post. Nice job, and it's too bad there wasn't a way to add the step without having to make it removable for the slide/pantry door. Good workaround on your part.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
ncgrl1

Very good job!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

pics show up now

And I agree, very nice job!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
mobile42

Yes, excellent simple common sense design!
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
Fishhawk

Very nice job!!

Thanks for sharing!
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
trueweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
Looks awesome, great work!

Seeing that I just had to pull out my furnace to figure out why it wasn't working AND it was below the fridge behind those louvers. This picture made me a bit nervous. Is it easy to remove the bottom step so you can gain access to that area if necessary? Maybe you should pull off the cover to make sure nothing is under there that you might need to get out one day.

Just a thought that might save you some frustration one day since you will at least be aware and prepared.

-Andrew
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
theasphaltrv'er

26sab Bedroom Steps Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueweb View Post
Looks awesome, great work!

Seeing that I just had to pull out my furnace to figure out why it wasn't working AND it was below the fridge behind those louvers. This picture made me a bit nervous. Is it easy to remove the bottom step so you can gain access to that area if necessary? Maybe you should pull off the cover to make sure nothing is under there that you might need to get out one day.

Just a thought that might save you some frustration one day since you will at least be aware and prepared.

-Andrew
Thanks .... Andrew, yes I took the panel off and checked inside around the furnace (opened it up when first bought to clean in there) before I built the steps. Also pulled the panel out that's inside the storage bay behind the steps to see what, if anything, was routed under the existing steps. Some wiring and the heating duct to the bathroom are routed under there but will not interfere with my project. If I need to get to the furnace I can get the louver door off by lifting the platform off (can take louver door off w/ platform off ... made sure) . Also by unscrewing 2 screws, the whole step assembly can be removed if need be.
The whole project cost me a little under 50 bucks. Had to buy the plywood. Already had the polyurethane finish, cherry stain, glue & laminate flooring segments and the 2 L brackets holding the frame in place.

Milo
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
trueweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
Thanks .... Andrew, yes I took the panel off and checked inside around the furnace (opened it up when first bought to clean in there) before I built the steps. Also pulled the panel out that's inside the storage bay behind the steps to see what, if anything, was routed under the existing steps. Some wiring and the heating duct to the bathroom are routed under there but will not interfere with my project. If I need to get to the furnace I can get the louver door off by lifting the platform off (can take louver door off w/ platform off ... made sure) . Also by unscrewing 2 screws, the whole step assembly can be removed if need be.
The whole project cost me a little under 50 bucks. Had to buy the plywood. Already had the polyurethane finish, cherry stain, glue & laminate flooring segments and the 2 L brackets holding the frame in place.

Milo
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote