Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
RescueRam3

Winter Boondocking

Just purchased a Bullet 308BHS with the Thermal Package for what that's worth. We know we will be traveling in the PA/NJ area in the winter months for kids travel hockey. This will be Fri-Sun so three days, 2 nights. I know most campgrounds are closed so we may need to do some winter boondocking.

I am overwhelmed about what I will need in order to be safe, keeping pipes from freezing, what to do while we are away from the camper, what kind of power I will need aside from the one 12V battery we have now, how long can I go on that one battery in the winter, etc... Any good resources out there for this newbie.
RescueRam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I wouldn't rely on the Bullet's "Thermal Package" to keep your RV "safe" during north eastern winters - especially if you are without hookups. The "heated" underbelly and perhaps the tanks are dependent upon the operation of the furnace producing enough heat to keep water lines and tanks from freezing. Without 110vAC and the charge produced by the converter, your present single battery will be tested to keep the furnace operating during extended periods of cold temperatures. I can't see a single battery lasting a weekend if you have the furnace on for long periods over a 3 day stretch.

Your best bet is to find a place that has hookups - especially electrical. Some hockey rinks in our area have an outside 110VAC outlet which is available for a visiting,single RV to plug in during a tournament. There might be some arenas in your area that could provide you with a similar hookup. That way, at least you could plug in a heater but that won't do much to provide heat for water lines and tanks.

It's very difficult to make your RV "winter proof" if you are boon docking. Skirting is out of the question and unless you drain all of your lines and take water with you, there is always the danger of pipe freeze. These units are not constructed to withstand long periods of freezing temperatures unless you undertake some serious modifications - mostly suited for hookups - not boon docking.

You could improve things by adding another battery or going to two 6 volts but I really don't think you will gain all that much.

In the long run, you might be better off in a motel if you are left to boon docking with your RV in the middle of winter in the NE USA.

Tags
boondocking, winter