Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Latviagirl

Storage door locks

Has anyone replaced their storage door locks and latches to something more secure than factory installed? Just wondering the approx. cost of this. Trying to think through security on doors and such.
Kim

Full Timers. Hail from WA state
Construction Missionaries with Hard Hats for Christ
2006 Montana 3500rl
2003 Chevy 3500 Dually
Latviagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

There have been many threads about this subject. Bottom line is, these locks just keep honest folks honest. Storage doors and for that matter any door on a RV can be opened in seconds with a simple screw driver or pry-bar. Replacement locks are available online and at RV stores in all price ranges. Google is your friend ...... search and you will find them on Amazon and other sites. Good luck with your new trailer and travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
canesfan

x2 what hankpage said. I ran across some fairly inexpensive replacement storage door locks that have a round type key instead of the standard one everyone has. They might make you feel better, but if someone wants in it's not going to make any difference.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I lock nothing. I don't want the thief to damage my door if they've simply got to have my walmart camping chair.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
hankaye

Latviagirl, Howdy;

I'll also agree with Hank, but you can also remove them and go to your local
locksmith and have them re-key them. A simple process of re-arranging the
pins and cutting you some new keys. Takes about 20 minutes and might cost
in the neighborhood of $10.00. But, if someone wants in ... they'll get in...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:53 AM   #6
karen.b.anderson

I was seriously thinking about changing locks and then I got to the dealer for service - left in a hurry - had forgotten my camper keys. No problem since I still had factory locks...just something to think about!
karen.b.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:27 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Anyone who really wants into your RV can do so with a common (or Phillips) screwdriver, or even with a "stick and a rock" to knock out the current lock. Changing locks will only make it more expensive to replace them when the thief is done....

RV locks only keep "honest people honest" and thief who wants in will get in. The brand of lock or the type of key won't make any difference to him, he probably doesn't even carry a CR751 key or a set of Fastec keys or master key with him anyway.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
audio1der

I also worried primarily about security while in our storage lot. Now we have 3 different keys on our RV keyring instead of 1 and I understand the new cam locks are no higher security, but with so many doors keyed alike, they may pass my ride up in search of an easier target.
Much like a home alarm surrounded by homes without.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:13 AM   #9
matandjen

On our last fuzion we replaced one of the locks with a combination lock made for the door. It gave us a better sense of security and did not require us to deal with another key.

http://www.amazon.com/Combi-cam-Comb.../dp/B000IGMP1S
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:26 AM   #10
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
I also worried primarily about security while in our storage lot. Now we have 3 different keys on our RV keyring instead of 1 and I understand the new cam locks are no higher security, but with so many doors keyed alike, they may pass my ride up in search of an easier target.
Much like a home alarm surrounded by homes without.
Have to agree. Changing the locks won't stop a thief and he/she/they will tear open the door, at great expense, to have what they want. But, being a student of human nature, and having had some negative experience, I changed my locks to prevent someone from 'borrowing' the 12V DeWalt drill he saw me put away before we left for the day. JMHO

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
Sicapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
... but with so many doors keyed alike, they may pass my ride up in search of an easier target...
Exactly! Any added security is better than none.
Considering it doesn't cost you an arm to do it...

2013 Passport 195RB
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3,6L
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
rosede

I realize this is an old thread, but it fits with what I am posting, so I decided; why start a new thread when there is already one here.

I view a lot of videos on youtube.com. I find there are a lot of educational videos and I've learned a lot of good tips. The one that I learned today is; almost all campers come with the same storage locks. The guy filming the video showed his key and said that almost all campers come with "CH751" key. I pulled mine out of my pocket and looked. Sure enough, it has CH751 stamped on it.

I reviewed several threads on this forum before chiming in. Most of the posts have the same words, "locks keep honest people honest, but won't prevent someone from getting in if they really want to." While I agree with that statement, I'm not to excited about have storage compartments that almost any other person in the campground or storage facility can easily access.

I'm really more concerned about the storage facility than I am about the campground. Like most of the my fellow campers at the campground, I keep my fishing poles, tackle box and other items out and visible when at the campground. I've never been worried about someone walking off with them. I usually have them up next to the camper, so their not easily visible to the average passerby, but I don't lock them up either. I'm more concerned about when my camper is in the storage facility than when at the campground.

I've had two campers, three different storage facilities, and I've been vandalized twice. Both times I had items stolen from the campers that were easily accessible, most recently my propane tanks. I've since locked them down. I know the first time that I was vandalized was when someone jumped the fence. I wasn't the only one and mine was minor to others in the storage facility. I suspect that the disappearance of the tanks was from someone else who stores their camper at my facility. My suspicion heightened when that person approached me and asked if someone stole my tanks. That was rather suspicious since I had never told anyone else at the storage facility that they disappeared over the winter.

Anyway, after seeing the video I've decided to change my storage compartment locks. The gentelman who posted the video suggested this website: http://ch751.com. The locks are about $12.50 each. Cheap. I think that I'll order up a few sets and get them changed out before winter.

Thanks

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #13
Williston324

I've dealt with http://ch751.com/ and http://www.rvlocksandmore.com

They both provide a good product and have excellent customer support. Anything is better than the 751 keys.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
rosede

Thanks for the link to rvlocksandmore.com. I've been wanting to replace my door locks as well, but just haven't gotten around to yet. I have two doors with different Baur locks and they're both keyed differently. I would like to have both doors keyed the same.

I can buy both the door locks and storage locks at one place.

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #15
msp2jxr

We switched our over to the combination locks. You can get them at most dealerships and cost about 18.00 dollars. Nice thing is you don't need keys to get in the cargo hold and it gives you a nice knob to turn. I believe Amazon carries them also and maybe cheaper if you need to buy a number of them. The only down side is at night you need a flashlight to see the numbers to open the hold.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote