Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
LABSRUS

Question Stabilizing a travel trailer?

Hi, what is everyone using to stabilize their travel trailers or 5th wheels?
We will be parking ours permanently soon on a seasonal site.
Only jacks and wheel chocks?

We have heard of this product:
BAL 28012 X-Chock Tire Locking Chock
They make a wider version as well for a greater width in between the tires.
BAL 28014 X-tended Fit X-Chock

If we buy a set of those, we are not sure which size we would need.

Thanks everyone!

Julie & Scott and our 2 Chocolate labs - Hailey & Harley
2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost crew cab short box with cap
2014 Springdale 311REGL - Seasonal campers
2008 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide
LABSRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
hankaye

LABSRUS, Howdy;

When I lived in a TT I used 2 pairs of these

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-set-of-2/4204

spaced evenly just either side of the axels. I made some pads for them from some scrap 2X4's and plywood. Felt like I was walking on solid flooring.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
LABSRUS

Thank you, I'll look into that.

Julie & Scott and our 2 Chocolate labs - Hailey & Harley
2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost crew cab short box with cap
2014 Springdale 311REGL - Seasonal campers
2008 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide
LABSRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

X2 with Hankaye's suggestion. Simply get the trailer into position and level side to side and front to back (with no jacks being used). Lower the tongue slightly, slip the jacks under the aft end frame rails halfway between the axle and the bumper, then raise the front slightly higher than level and slip the forward jacks in, about the same halfway toward the tongue and lower the front onto the jacks. Then use your existing stabilizer jacks to firm up the front and rear of your trailer. Make any minor adjustments using the jack screws and you'll be set.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
spappy

I have stabilizing jacks and a set of those. I've struggled to figure out where they add the most value. This is really helping me. I have a double axle trailer. So are you guys saying to put a set between tires and front jacks and then a set between tires and rear jacks? Closer to tires or half way in between? Thanks so much for the help!
Spap
Old 02-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

When we had our Holiday Rambler 34CBFK, it was 35.5' long. When we stored it at home, we used it as an apartment for guests when the house was full. I used the aluminum screwpost jacks to help stabilize the trailer. I placed them about halfway between the front jacks and the front axle and also about halfway between the rear jacks and the rear axle. That gave me the best stability inside with people walking and moving around inside. Keep in mind that the screwpost jacks will sink in sand, dirt or gravel so you'll need to use pads that will keep them from sinking. I used 12'x12' concrete pads. The same ones used to make a patio or walkway.

Others may have different experiences and I'd suppose that depending on the actual model and how it's arranged on the frame, there may be some slight differences in exactly where positioning the screwpost jacks will give the best stability. Our bathroom was about the spot of the rear screwpost jack and it really stabilized the tub/shower when in use. The kitchen was in the front, putting the living room right over the front screwpost jacks. Depending on your floorplan, you may find that the most movement occurs in a different place along the frame rails. Try to get the jacks in the area of most movement.

I'd suggest you start as above, and if it doesn't satisfy you, move the jacks slightly toward the axles and try again. Through trial and error, you'll find the best place that works for you and your trailer. Keep in mind that you are supporting the trailer on the screwpost jacks and the tires, using the scissors jacks only for stability at the ends. Don't extend your scissors jacks so much that you lift the frame off the screwpost jacks or you will completely take them out of the picture. The screwpost jacks are your main stabilizing position.

There will be some minimal bouncing caused by the tires and suspension. It never seemed to be objectionable to us and was really something that we had to focus on to even notice. The only way to get all of that out is to completely lift the trailer off the suspension by jacking and stabilizing the entire frame. I never found that to be necessary and unless you're going to leave your RV in one spot for the entire year, I wouldn't recommend jacking and setting it on a "makeshift" foundation. Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
hankaye

spappy, Howdy;

Shooter's choice ... Be sure to place them under the
main fore-n-aft I-beams and not under the lateral (side to side),
cross-members.
You'll find a place where they work best for you.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:22 AM   #8
davidcyndi

We have a pretty long trailer and all we use are the x-chock. Its my wife and I and two kids (9 and 11) and the trailer does not move much at all. You know kids run around like crazy so you would think the trailer would be like a amusement park ride. Nope they do just fine. FWIW

"AUTISM IS NOT A TRAGEDY. IGNORANCE IS THE TRAGEDY."

https://i.imgur.com/3IyXHzt.png
davidcyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:28 AM   #9
vetorio

I used the same Jacks on my old StarCraft 271 BH. I put them on both sides of the frame behind the steps ,cause I would get a lot of movement whenever some one would climb in the trailer.
They Made a tremendous difference.

Tom vetorio
vetorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
spappy

Thanks to everyone for the ideas! Looks like I need to buy another set. At least now I know a good position to try first. Thanks again!
Spap
Old 02-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #11
GaryWT

When we were seasonal the campground would set the trailers up on blocks. The 4 corners and just in front of the wheels. They used wood shingles as needed to wedge between the trailer and bricks, worked great.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote