Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You can do the test yourself.
Take a tire and wipe it down with motor oil You can speed up the test if you cut the oil with gasoline. or put it in a metal trash can and pour in the gas/oil mixture. Cover and let sit a few weeksini sunlight then check on the condition of the now scrap tire.
May be best to try and get a piece of a failed or worn out tire rather than a complete tire.
We will all look forward to seeing the results of your test.

Sorry for the sarcasm
I said I would like to see the supporting data, a response of an unrealistic, non comparative, ridiculously unscientific test? Sarcasm I can take, but when someone's trying to blow smoke I can still see.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #22
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I said I would like to see the supporting data, a response of an unrealistic, non comparative, ridiculously unscientific test? Sarcasm I can take, but when someone's trying to blow smoke I can still see.
GY does not does not recommend tire storage on asphalt. I'm sure other major tire manufacturers will agree.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx

Our trailer storage area was paved with asphalt. I always provided a protective barrier between the asphalt and tires. Here are a couple of pictures. One side required about two inches more height than the other because I had to park side to side on the drain slope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0472.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	27530 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0473.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	27531
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
GY does not does not recommend tire storage on asphalt. I'm sure other major tire manufacturers will agree.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx

Our trailer storage area was paved with asphalt. I always provided a protective barrier between the asphalt and tires. Here are a couple of pictures. One side required about two inches more height than the other because I had to park side to side on the drain slope.

Attachment 27530 Attachment 27531
Thanks Calvin. That link states not to store in greasy oily conditions which I interpret as a any surface where grease and mild has saturated the surface. The specific black top reference is in reference to heat absorption which I understand is a problem in hot climates but don't see that as an issue during the winter months. in all my reading I've yet to see a reference for how long in days, months, or years "storage" refers to.

I still haven't found the correlation between the black top and petroleum products. I know fully the composition of asphalt and I'm not talking about freshly laid blacktop, nor storing for years or during summer heat. I'm no tire engineer but "good old horse sense" tells me that parking on asphalt, over the winter, isn't going to inflict detrimental harm that will shorten the life or accelerate failure of the "aging out" life of an ST tire.

I'm not looking for an argument, just an understanding. Not trying to be thick headed but speaking information. So many times information can get misunderstood and even giant, worldwide companies will purport urban myth. Next time you fuel up look at the blacker on the pump about not using your cell phone while fueling. Then go try to find one confirmed case where a cell phone caused a fuel pump fire in the billions of refuelings that's occurred.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #24
CWtheMan

The fact that road asphalt has crude oil in its mixture should be an indicator that it’s not good to let tires linger on it in a storage condition.

The weight of the tire footprint will compress the asphalt. In the long term, that allows the crude oil to migrate (leach) into the pours tread of tires.

Read “long term storage” on page 2.

https://www.tireindustry.org/sites/d...orage-1113.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The fact that road asphalt has crude oil in its mixture should be an indicator that it’s not good to let tires linger on it in a storage condition.

The weight of the tire footprint will compress the asphalt. In the long term, that allows the crude oil to migrate (leach) into the pours tread of tires.

Read “long term storage” on page 2.

https://www.tireindustry.org/sites/d...orage-1113.pdf
"long term storage" page 2 states the same heat reference "Do not store tires in contact with black asphalt or other heat absorbent surfaces ". I'm not contending that asphalt isn't made with petroleum but rather my contention is that if there was THAT much oil "leaching out" that it would be too slick to drive on (especially in the rain), and the EPA would not allow the run off.

Tags
tires