Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
B Boom

Rock Protection for front cap

I bought a new Bullet Premier travel trailer. Does anyone have a solution on how to avoid rock chips to the front cap of the trailer? Is there some type of product that I can put on the trailer to protect the paint? I called Keystone but they don't have anything for a Bullet.. Thanks
B Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Most anyplace that does spray in bed lining can color match and spray on a layer f it. My BIL lives 7 miles up a dirt road in Divide CO. He had the front of theirs sprayed about 18 inches high from the bottom. Didn't look bad to me and has been working well for years.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
Just chillin

I have the same problem with mine and I thought the same thing when it starts to look too bad I’ll spray some bedliner on it .
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #4
Jfreek65

I feel your pain. Some 2018 Cougars cane with the lower half of the cap covered with a bedliner like spray but not ours. Instead I chose to just get rock tamers for the truck to prevent the rocks from getting to the caps in the first place.
1965 International Scout 80
Jfreek65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Some Keystone lines use a plastic "diamond plate". It's similar to the steel or aluminum "diamond plate" but much lighter.

If your luck is like mine, if you install 24" diamond plate, the next rock chip will happen at 26" above the bottom of the trailer. In other words, rock chips are going to happen no matter how much you try to protect your trailer. So, is the added weight and time to install going to be "worth the expense and effort" ???

For some/most, it might be just as easy to install good mud flaps/splash guards on the tow vehicle and keep on towing..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote