Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
Royalwapiti

Dometic Frig cool down time

I have a Dometic DM2652LBX frig in my 2011 Sprinter 255.

It seems like it takes a long time to cool down once we get to the campground and turn it on, I mean like 12 hours...to get it to normal frig temps of say 36-40 degrees F. The freezer cools down first then the frig.

The first time I used it the frig part froze some stuff. I adjusted the rinky dink thermocoupler thingy that adjusts the temp. It went to normal range. ( I shouldn't say rinky dink, it works!)

Is it normal to get a 10-12 hour time to get to normal temps after it has been off?

Thanks

2011 Sprinter 255RKS
Royalwapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
Carrottop

Yes, perfectly normal. If you have the ability to turn the fridge on before departing a good rule of thumb is start the fridge 24hours prior to departure and leave it running while traveling on gas. Some do not like to drive with the propane turned on but I and I think quite a few campers have been doing it for years.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
Yes, perfectly normal. If you have the ability to turn the fridge on before departing a good rule of thumb is start the fridge 24hours prior to departure and leave it running while traveling on gas. Some do not like to drive with the propane turned on but I and I think quite a few campers have been doing it for years.
Ditto!
That's the way it was designed to be used. Also if traveling in cold weather run the furnace. Have been doing both for 40+ years of rving & haven't blown anything up so far. If you're concerned while fueling turn them til you pull away then start them up again.
If possible fire it up 24-48 hours before loading it & should be good to go.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
Royalwapiti

Ok, glad it is normal.

For us, we leave our camper at the campground, they put it in storage after we leave. When we go camp again they get it out of the storage yard and put it on a spot for us.

Thus when we arrive we have to level it and hook up everything and turn on the frig, water heater, etc.

I may just plan to leave the food in a cooler until later that evening when the frig is cooled down.

Thanks

A side note, the first time I used the camper, it was April and we woke up to snow and 38 degrees outside. I took one of the LP tanks and had it filled. We shut "everything" off and left that morning. When I arrived a couple weeks later to use it again my propane was almost empty. Poof $25 gone. I am not sure which appliance but something used it up. I suspect it was the frig. I now shut the gas off after we are finished camping. I think the campground requests that too, for when in storage.

2011 Sprinter 255RKS
Royalwapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Cbrez

Agree with Carrottop and Travelin Texans. Turn on the frig the day before you plan to leave. Then you can load up the frig when you hit the road the next day. Cold cuts and iced tea for lunch, and I can’t imagine setting up without a cold beer at the campsite

Make sure your batteries are topped off so the frig will operate on propane.

We often pass through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to get out of the Tidewater area. When we stop for inspection we turn off the propane. Once though the tunnel we pull over and turn the propane back on. No problem.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic