Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #41
markjamestx

Gas pumps at truck islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Must be a Canadian thing as we've traveled across this country top to bottom end to end & have never seen gas pumps in the truck lanes.
One advantage of having a heavy rv which required a diesel was being able to use the truck lanes. Never once in 10+ years did I ever get dirty looks or off color remarks from truckers when using the truck lanes, just fill up & move forward, which for my 30+/- gallons didn't take but about 5 minutes with the truck pumps.
Our experience as well, no gas at the truck islands. I have even posted on Love's and Pilot's websites for future designs to include room for gas powered TV with TT. Why in the world would any designer not include gas pumps in the truck stop islands for RV owners? Flying J's usually have RV islands with gas and diesel both sides of TV, but not always. I do not go to Pilot or Loves because there entrances are at the center of the gas pumps and you have to swing and avoid going in the ditch and then get an end pump. Then you have to back up, and make sure your trailer does not clip the pump (it did happen once). Next TV will be a diesel because of this.
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #42
Crackerjack

I usually purchase the Rand McNally Atlas at Walmart which has the locations of Walmart and Sams Club fueling stations near Interstate Exits in the front of the book, and show if they have diesel also.
Crackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #43
CaptnJohn

2019 f350 dually diesel. 48gallon tank plus sux tank in the bed. I have a range of 800 miles. If fuel is needed on the road I use truck stops.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #44
notanlines

Mark, if you give this some thought, all that would happen is that cars and pickups would tie up the lane and you couldn't use it anyway. The last thing that truckers need is numbnuts driving their minivans through their area. Half the time they pack the RV lanes already.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #45
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Flying J at Fortuna RD Foothills Yuma AZ 108000 North Frontage Road, Yuma, AZ 85365
Mel
We fueled our truck with 39' 5th wheel in tow at Fry's in that area. Looked at the layout on Google Earth the night before to figure my way in and out, and used the outside pump in the South end.

I have used GE many times to study a route to fuel. Now Chula Vista, drop the trailer first at the RV park!!!! traffic in that part of California is not for the faint of heart towing a trailer. When we headed North of Chula Vista we took I-15 North rather than going through LA. We went North to 138 and over to Palm Dale and then 58 to Bakersfield, on North on 99.

I always look for the outside pump and yes I have blocked traffic waiting in line and fueling. My fuel is more important to "me" than them having to drive around me or use another entrance or exit to get to and from "their" pump.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #46
E Rod

I try to always look for gas stations with accessible pumps as i drive a new 2018 F350 long bed and a 40ft 5er. Then again i like that they now have a 48 gal. fuel tank and i also have a combo fuel/toolbox with an extra 60 gal. So pretty much i get to my destination unhook and refuel before heading out again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck 2018.jpeg1.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	22138  

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:09 AM   #47
Dparrent

I have solved my fuel stop problem

I try to follow all of the advice listed in these posts. However I am towing a 40 foot fifth wheel and an F350 and do find fuel stops difficult on occasion.

When I feel that a particular stop is going to be too dicey, I resort to my back up plan.

I carry two empty 5 gallon gas cans in the back of the truck and have them secured to the side so they don’t bounce around.

In a sticky situation I will park near the gas station, fill my cans and place them on the bed rail the truck. I have a $10 jiggler siphon hose which makes short work of topping up a tank.

Problem solved!
Dparrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:55 AM   #48
gtstang462002

If the fuel stations are too tight to get my 45' trailer into, I have no problem dropping the trailer in a nearby large parking lot and going and filling up. The short amount of time spent hooking and unhooking the trailer quite often is less than that of driving around to find a pump that I "fit" into. Also don't have to worry about ripping my AC units off from the canopy this way. If I know I can fit and am just going to block traffic, then I am blocking traffic. The law of size wins here, generally I am bigger (at close to 70') and I am not there to make friends with any of the people that are giving me the dirty looks.
gtstang462002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:28 AM   #49
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstang462002 View Post
If the fuel stations are too tight to get my 45' trailer into, I have no problem dropping the trailer in a nearby large parking lot and going and filling up. The short amount of time spent hooking and unhooking the trailer quite often is less than that of driving around to find a pump that I "fit" into. Also don't have to worry about ripping my AC units off from the canopy this way. If I know I can fit and am just going to block traffic, then I am blocking traffic. The law of size wins here, generally I am bigger (at close to 70') and I am not there to make friends with any of the people that are giving me the dirty looks.
Tell us a little about your rig that brings it to about 70'. Sounds like quite a setup.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #50
KSH

I use the truck stops when possible or any outside lane with a good exit route. Practice.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180815_134406~2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	22137
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 AM   #51
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
We've been to a hand full of FJ/Pilots that their "RV freindly" lanes were only friendly to a rv about 15' long with the lane exit a hard right or left across the front of the building which made it almost impossible for long rvs. ...
Same observation ^^^ for some, but other stations seem to be much better designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Use the outside lane when possible. Gives better escape routes.
Same observation as above ^^^, but even then I have to be on the lookout for pinch points exiting the island. Some stations allow parking perpendicular to the islands (away from the building) that can make for interesting maneuvering on exit or entrance.

I try to scope out the exit path before I enter the station; I try to position myself to make for an easy exit. Unfortunately sometimes this leaves me sticking my "rear" where I'd rather not.

Unfortunately many non-RV users of these fueling stations have little idea about the space required to maneuver our rigs; they park in odd places or dart around like gnats making it difficult to drive in/out.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #52
Lariatbob

When needed there is always the option of parking down the street, unhitching and taking the tow vehicle to the pumps by itself. I know with my fiver it is really not too time consuming.
Lariatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #53
Blackrock

I just wheel it in like a Boss making wide swings and picking a lane that will let me pull on out onto the main street or highway easily.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #54
AZWANDERERS

I have a 42" Montana and I had to learn to maneuver early on with much trepidation. I almost got myself into a pickel at a Tucson stop - almost too big and had to wait for numerous inconsiderate folks pumping gas. One unmentionable had to audacity to suggest I back up so he could cut in. Then I pulled into a Quartzsite stop and pulled forward to the front diesel pumps only to discover they were bagged. Truck pulled in behind me and the exit was to my right but it was to severe a turn and I was in the trucker exit path. They leaned on their horns and had fun with me until a guy helped me out. Truck behind me backed up as did I somehow and got out of there. Parked that one in the mountains of AZ and that is now our cabin.

Just finished a 9 week 9200 mile trip with our 35' Genesis toy hauler and 3500 Ram. The train is 55' long. 6200 miles were pulling the rig, other 3k were side trips. Definitely used a bit of diesel. Fueling up will get easier over time. You'll know what to look for and sometimes it's head to the next stop. There are great stops among all the well known truck stops but there are many that are older and not laid out for well for maneuvering. I look for outside pumps with adequate room to exit. I have been blocked in and there are times where it's a zoo and not worth the hassle, so go down the road. I did learn about biodiesel - it'll reduce you fuel mileage 2-3 miles per gallon and I avoided it where I could. Another reply mentions cetane rating and I'm now using a cetane booster/injector cleaner additive. Results seem positive for my first tank of fuel in the mountains. There seems to be no standard cetane value state to state.

Most people are accommodating if you get yourself boxed in. No embarrassment if you need their assistance. You will get better at it over time.
AZWANDERERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #55
shermris

https://www.gasbuddy.com/go/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

I've been in a bind a couple times but the problem is typically the travel route. In city gas stations are usually very tight and crowded, I carry an empty 5 gallon gas can in my truck bed in case I get too desperate, (even then you need a place to park and need to keep looking for a station with elbow room). Things have improved because retailers are realizing that gas hungry haulers need gas and they are loosing sales by not providing adequate service. I try to fill up using stations before or after metro areas. Worst case scenario; find a side street or park, drop your rig and go fill up.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #56
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermris View Post
https://www.gasbuddy.com/go/rv-friendly-gas-stations/

I've been in a bind a couple times but the problem is typically the travel route. In city gas stations are usually very tight and crowded, I carry an empty 5 gallon gas can in my truck bed in case I get too desperate, (even then you need a place to park and need to keep looking for a station with elbow room). Things have improved because retailers are realizing that gas hungry haulers need gas and they are loosing sales by not providing adequate service. I try to fill up using stations before or after metro areas. Worst case scenario; find a side street or park, drop your rig and go fill up.
Worst side street city experience we have had was in Santa Rosa, Ca North of San Francisco on 101. And that was with our reg cab Ram and 29' Cardinal.

Finally got into a crowded Safeway parking lot, and had to go walk around to plan my exit while DW shopped. Chris
Old 06-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #57
linux3

Heading East in Southern Illinois the gas station was a little tight.
I decided to stop at the next one.
Southern Illinois is flat and nothing but giant factory farms. By the time I got to the NEXT gas station I put 32 gal. in a 34 gal tank.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #58
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Heading East in Southern Illinois the gas station was a little tight.
I decided to stop at the next one.
Southern Illinois is flat and nothing but giant factory farms. By the time I got to the NEXT gas station I put 32 gal. in a 34 gal tank.
You had LOTS to spare..... When you really get worried is when the "1 mile to empty" warning is flashing (it doesn't change color on Fords, it just flashes and the "dinger goes crazy") and when you do roll into the station, put it in park and the engine dies BEFORE you turn off the ignition... Then, as you see the 27 gallon mark on the pump and your tank is 26 gallons and the pump is still flowing.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel