Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
hdrolling

bass pro shop rv resort trial in Shenandoah valley

Has anyone tried the bass pro shop rv resort trial in Shenandoah valley Va?

It's not actually bass pro but the booth is in there, the company is Blue Green Vacations

We were at the Raleigh/Cary Bass pro today and they had a trial that sounds like time shares do.

We paid $129 for 5 days 4 nights and can check in anytime during the first day of our reservation. We also got a $25 Bass pro gift card to use today and if we reserve withing a month we get another $25 gift card.

The catch is we will have to sit in a 2 hr deal were they try to sell us a time share type deal.

After watching the 2 hr deal we get a $50 prepaid visa.

It's only 4 hrs from us so we decided to give it a shot. Has anyone tried going here and any input.

Figured we would only be out the gas to get there and back and we are getting $100 back in gift cards so 4 nights for less than $30 doesn't sound to bad.

We are not buying anything else and have used time share trials at the hotels before and had a great time except having to sit through their 2hr deal, but it was worth it.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #2
spade117

I don't have any experience with the one you mention, but I do get phone calls and mail from a few of those types of places up here in NY. We really don't have any interest in sitting through the 2+ hr. presentations, so we have not visited any so far.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #3
Rber1234

Sounds like you’re getting ready to buy a timeshare RV site.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #4
66joej

We sat through one of these 2 hr ordeals to get our free weekend and BBQ. Told the DW to not ask any questions. The salesman was noticing this and at the end I flatly told him we are not interested and just give us our BBQ and voucher. Well this guy got so irate he said just because of our attitude he was going to take our names out of their system and we would never get another invitation to attend a promotion.
Now that scarred us for life.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:02 AM   #5
roadglide

I stayed at Cabelas in Sydney Nebraska excellent camping it was 10 $ nightly nobody checking on campers, folks where coming in late and leaving early . I spent 4 nights at Cabelas and paid in side .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rber1234 View Post
Sounds like you’re getting ready to buy a timeshare RV site.
That's not happening, we have done a Daytona beach time share trial and a Myrtle beach. The 2 hr wasn't that bad and we stayed four days at the beach for almost nothing.

I've been doing some searching and this place has pretty good reviews, so at least we can add another trip that we haven't had planned.

She also gave us a 6 month extension so we can wait until next summer to use it if we want.

Glad to see so far there are no horror stories

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #7
Logan X

We stayed at a place like that after we first bought our trailer. The salesman was camping in the site next to us and he was super friendly. We sat through the presentation and told him we weren’t going to buy. After that, not only did he stop talking to us , he and the rest of the staff stopped making eye contact with us. I feel bad for anyone who is trying to make a living working at those places.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like you have the right plan in mind. We have sat thru LOTS (and I mean lots) of timeshare presentations since about 1980 or so. I've not stayed at a Bass Pro RV park but I've seen some and they looked nice. I have sat thru presentations by Bluegreen. Don't be swayed by what they tell you - to utilize anything they have and be happy (if it's anything like their condo timeshare plan - which I'm sure it is) you will have to spend a small fortune. If not, what you buy won't let you do much of anything (<$40+k or so - condo sales).

We've received bbq grills, tvs, gift cards, free weekends, cruises (which I don't/won't do) etc. Even got a week free in a 2 bedroom condo in Hilton Head after proving to the corporate office (not Bluegreen) that the sales dept. tried to scam me.

When you accept the offer you have agreed to some set timeframe for their presentation. 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. generally. Let the sales guy give you his pitch - DON'T ask a lot of questions. At about the 30-45 minute mark, when the opportunity presents itself in the conversation, tell the salesperson that you aren't interested - you were a bit curious but just not interested; primarily came for the "free" whatever it is they offer. Sales folks react in various ways to that; from getting angry, one told us we were trying to "game" them (I pointed out THEY called ME and insisted I needed to come), some will get the manager/closer and begin the pressure sale.... Just stay on point, don't ask questions and let them redirect the conversation - which they will try to do.

I own LOTS of timeshare which I acquired many decades ago and it has been worth a lot to us (condo type). It's not for everyone and not for anyone that isn't retired IMO. Good luck on the visit and let us know what the game is.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
KCSA75

I did something similar and it was a great experience. Three or four years ago, DW was laid up after knee surgery. It was January and I needed to get out of the house, so decided to go walk around Bass Pro.

Like the OP I was approached by a sales guy about Big Cedar Lodge south of Branson, MO. After chatting with him for a while, I got to thinking it might be a good and cheap getaway for us after DW was back on her feet. I managed to work the program for a couple of gift cards at the store and promise of another after listening to the pitch.

Big Cedar Lodge is first class, comparable to Disney, so I think it safe to assume an RV resort will be equally nice.

Anyway we went for the pitch. It started out with a group presentation followed by a tour of the place then the sell. Naturally, the started off with the big money, but every time I said no, he came back with with a lower-priced package. I'd note here that there was no "hard sell." It was reasonably pleasant experience.

Finally, I wore him down and he took us to another room to get our free gift card. Then they made one final offer. For $700, I believe, I could buy enough "points" to come back a couple more times with no obligation to buy anything or sit through another presentation. So we did it.

But wait, there's more.

We booked another weekend a few months later and on the drive to Branson, we got a phone call offering another free weekend if we would sit through another presentation. By this time we had bought the camper so the salesman and us spent 30 or 40 minutes talking about fishing and camping. We played along when his manager came over and that was it.

So to make a long story just a little longer, in the end we had four great weekends at a super resort for less than $1,000. I thought it was a great deal and would do it again.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #10
ADQ K9

Cant remember the name of the place but it was in NW Washington close to where we bought our trailer. We had a certificate for 2 free nights and 6 months to use it. It was during the stay that we had to sit through the presentation. So they structured it to get you there to the park settle in and then hit you with the sale. If the trailer was not promptly shipped here to Alaska we probably would have checked it out at least but not purchased since we are nowhere close.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #11
Rber1234

I only did one of the sales pitch presentations and I have avoided all others after that. For some reason they don't know the word NO..
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote