Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
Cpap

Equalizer hitch setup question

Basic question up front...should I add washers or move the load bar brackets up to get more weight transfer? I know proper setup for hitches with chains; chain length is used to keep bars level, washers increase/decrease weight transfer. Does bracket height equate to chain length on other hitches?

Back story...I just got this hitch, the Equalizer 4 point sway hitch. They installed it at the dealership when I took delivery of my new camper and they weren't going to measure anything on my truck they just set it up to level the camper. I did the measuring as they set it up so I knew the hitch would need some further adjusting...I just wanted to get out of there so I chose to deal with it later.
Cpap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

It depends exactly where you are with your measurements and where things are adjusted with the various components to me. Here is the link to the manual; https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manua...-owners-manual

In my experience the L brackets nor the washers should do the entire job.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Retired Copper

Congrads on your new hitch, set up right and you will know it. Yes read the direction Danny has sent you. I have read, watched and even called Equalizer for a question once and received the information I asked about. Moving the bracket up or down amounts to adding or substracting a washer, if I remember right. I try to keep the bars level with the trailer frame and want the bars to set flat on the L brackets as possible for the most contact. So I used the washers as the to level keeping the arms as straight as I could running with the frame. Of course this should be set up as you intend to tow the unit camping. for a quick change in load you can move the brackets. This works for me and trailer tows every bit as good as the fifthwheel I pulled. Good luck and remember to check and torque the head and bracket bolts and grease the recommended points in the manual Danny sent you.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch