Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Global Driver

Big Bend, TX Campin

Mighty wise ones.....

Looking out to after our Saviors birthday thru New Years out in the Big Bend area. Anyone been through there and have any suggestions?
Wanting to take the kids out for some exploring and history learnification

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2018, 10:49 PM   #2
B-O-B'03

One of our favorite areas to go, our first trip out was in 1982, on a motorcycle.

Not sure how old your kids are, think ours were 6 or so when we first took them.

Lots to see and do, great hiking, might be a little chilly that time of year though.

We usually go in the spring or fall.

I have a few pictures in this album.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Brian
Old 11-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with Brian. If you want to go between Christmas and New Year just be prepared for cold weather. Although it gets very warm in the summer, it gets pretty cold in the winter too. We've found we like the March and Oct/Nov time frames the best. Summer is just dang hot and December was colder than we wanted.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Global Driver

Thanks...we are planning something last minute and and have Big Bend on our family list
Old 11-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

The campgrounds out in and around the Big Bend are much like the area in general and most are kind of spartan. The campground in Lajitas is called a resort and shares the Chihuahuan desert features but the resort has an OK restaurant and if you play golf and are rich, the course is pretty nice. There are other options in Terlingua. Go to campgroundreviews.com for an idea: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/texas/terlingua

I would suggest coming down to the area from Alpine to avoid the River Road which on a motorcycle is fantastic for all the whoops and bends but with an RV, not so much.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Javi

Personally, I'd stay in Davis Mountains SP... at FT. Davis, TX and day trip everything...
Old 11-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
gearhead

I'm trying to wedge a trip to Big Bend into my schedule. Maybe mid January. I looked at Accuweathers web site to look at historical averages and 2018 actual temps. It'll be a bit cool. I'll go in the Bigfoot and stay inside the park.
I'm telling the DW this is a "scouting trip". Going alone.
I'm not much on that part of Texas' terrain. But everyone says it's awesome. I'll go see.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'm trying to wedge a trip to Big Bend into my schedule. Maybe mid January. I looked at Accuweathers web site to look at historical averages and 2018 actual temps. It'll be a bit cool. I'll go in the Bigfoot and stay inside the park.
I'm telling the DW this is a "scouting trip". Going alone.
I'm not much on that part of Texas' terrain. But everyone says it's awesome. I'll go see.

Brent, the beauty of the terrain is all in what you like I suppose; I like most everything, and most weirdly, I absolutely love the sandhill/scrub brush country in SE NM around Carlsbad/Hobbs/Artesia; guess because of the thousands of miles I've walked in them hunting various game, all the great meals from dove and quail and some of my greatest memories....but....back to Big Bend.

I hope you like it. I like taking the back trails; quite a few old 4x4 trails with a lot of historical stuff but don't know if you want to do that with the camper. Check out the history at the park office. Be sure and check out Terlingua and if you have time cruise over to Lajitas (short drive). Depending on where you stay there might be a place to eat.....or not. If you stay anywhere near Terlingua try the La Kiva. Not a mega dollar restaurant but good food and a unique place. We've always enjoyed it. Haven't been since the long time owner died but I think it's still pretty good from what I've read (trying to schedule a trip back).
Old 11-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
gearhead

I did a hunting trip with my now ex-brother in law northeast of Candelaria, near Capote Falls. Basically go to Candelaria, turn right, put it in 4 wheel drive, and drive several hours on sand and rock roads. Only game I saw was a flight of teal that must have been very lost.
It was just weird terrain..purple rocks.
Lot's of folks oooh and aaah over Big Bend so I guess I'll go see. Planning an over night stop, or 2, at Seminole Canyon.
I may pass on my annual trip to Tulsa in mid January for the Chili Bowl midget races. I've come home with a bad sinus infection the last 2 years. Can't imagine why...hours of watching midgets burning methanol in an indoor arena.
That opens my schedule up a bit. So Big Bend and maybe a Woodcock hunt in east Texas.
I'll take the Bigfoot so I'm thinking Chisos Basin and Cottonwood NPS campgrounds. Take my bicycle, hiking boots, and a 1911.
Yeah I'll check out the history. I'm staying on as Vice Chair of the County Historical Commission after promising myself I wouldn't. Yep I'm a history nut.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

x2 on the 1911 You might visit Santa Elena canyon if you get a chance. Have a safe and fun trip.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
Steve/

We love big bend NP, near by is Seminole Canyon SP take the tour down into the canyon,
Old 11-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
mfifield01

I went in October 2016. We stayed in 3 different areas. We stayed at BJ's RV park in Terlingua, then Rio Grande Village RV resort, and finally Government Springs. It's a large NP, so we explored areas near the 3 different campsites. Let me know if have any questions about each.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:45 PM   #13
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I hope you like it. I like taking the back trails; quite a few old 4x4 trails with a lot of historical stuff but don't know if you want to do that with the camper. Check out the history at the park office. Be sure and check out Terlingua and if you have time cruise over to Lajitas (short drive). Depending on where you stay there might be a place to eat.....or not. If you stay anywhere near Terlingua try the La Kiva. Not a mega dollar restaurant but good food and a unique place. We've always enjoyed it. Haven't been since the long time owner died but I think it's still pretty good from what I've read (trying to schedule a trip back).
We have been camping in the La Kiva campground since the 80s.

When Gil Felts, the guy that built the original oasis, died, his nephew Glen took over and he was over his head... he could barely manage keeping the bar/restaurant going so the campground suffered, but he let us stay in the dilapidated campground, for free, as long as we frequented the La Kiva... we did not mind, the food was good, the drinks were cheap, Glen was a great guy, there was usually live music and lots of locals that made it interesting.

Glen was murdered 4 years ago and the new owners, John Holroyd & his wife Jossie, spent a ton of money fixing up the La Kiva. Since it had changed owners it needed to be brought up to current code standards.

By The time John came into the picture Glen had bulldozed the RV campground, which used to have full hookups and stately cottonwood trees and there was very little left of the tent campground, but John would let us camp there, as long as we frequented the La Kiva :-)

They are truly awesome people and the improvements they have made will allow the La Kiva to endure for a long time.

Check it out, it is a really unique and quirky place, the food is good, they usually have live music, the drinks are great and the people are fantastic.

I read somewhere that it is was one of 50 bars in the US that you need to visit, before you die.

As for camping in the area, most of the campgrounds have little to offer, other than hookups, which are a good thing to have, so pick one that is close to what you want to do.

I think the next time we go, we will just stay in the one in Study Butte, by the store and hotel, since it is centrally located and there is only one campground in the NP with hookups that it is, literally, 100 miles from anywhere.

The Big Bend Ranch SP is worth seeing too, 4WD is a plus, everywhere, if you go.

The motto down there is "we are all here, because we are not all there", it is definitely as different state of mind and for us, the year is not complete unless we have been.

-Brian