Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
Plumbtrician

Another newbie sway bar question...

Tow vehicle: 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4L
TT: Hideout 175LHS
3600 lbs dry, 21’ long

I’ve only pulled this home from the dealer on a standard hitch (50 miles). I had no issues with sway, but I never got over 55, wasn’t windy, and of course trailer was empty. Should I wait and see how this handles before spending $600 more dollars? Or should I just go ahead and do it? I don’t plan on any interstate driving if that matters. Thank you all in advance.

ETA: I pull a v nose cargo trailer 6X14 probably around 3,000-3,500lbs daily for my job. I’ve never had any sway whatsoever with this vehicle...

-Chris
Plumbtrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Get the WDH/sway control.

The Expedition is not a true towing vehicle. It CAN tow but it was/is primarily designed as a conveyance for lots of people with some storage in the back. The suspension is like a light truck.

Your trailer will probably be at least 5000 lbs. loaded (did not look up specs). That's a lot of free wheeling weight flopping around behind that SUV. Once the waggle starts it's hard to control with sway control on the vehicle, without it....you just ride it out or lose control. Sway happens on any kind of road; it doesn't have to be the interstate. Do yourself, and you family, a BIG favor and get the wdh/sway control - your, and their, safety should be your number one priority.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
tech740

My opinion, and it is just that, is I would get the hitch. I started off with a undersized truck, thought it would be okay because we don't go far. Then decided that we wanted to go half way across the country. Moral of the story is that, my guess you will decide to go further and to places you haven't thought of yet when you start enjoying the new toy. A hitch is just part of the setup and it will make it way better. Like I said just my opinion though.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Plumbtrician

Yep, that’s the plan. I’ve been reading here a bit before joining and I appreciate your knowledge Sourdough. Are you in agreeance to go with the Equalizer E4?
Old 05-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
Plumbtrician

Thanks Tech!
Old 05-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
Plumbtrician

6,000? 10,000? Expo’s got a soft rear end if it matters...
Old 05-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbtrician View Post
Yep, that’s the plan. I’ve been reading here a bit before joining and I appreciate your knowledge Sourdough. Are you in agreeance to go with the Equalizer E4?
I, and many others, use the Equalizer 4 point and couldn't be happier. It is a very effective wdh/sway control device - especially considering what it costs. Follow the instructions on the setup and lubrication and you will have a top notch hitch.

Edit: Didn't see the 2nd post. I think I would go with the 6k - maybe. If you think you may upgrade trailers some day in the future you may want to look at the heavier hitch with lighter bars. I believe the Equalizer makes a break in the shank size at 10k. At that point all the shanks are rated at 14k. Some believe that the bar weights make their ride more rough. I used 10k, 12k and 14k bars on this trailer (10k gvw). There was no discernible difference to me. I ended up with the 12k bars. In that case, in my experience, you could run 10k bars with the 14k shank and be prepared for a trailer upgrade in the future. Or, run the heavy shank and lighter 6k bars and upgrade the bars in the future (if the 6k bars will fit the heavier shank).

Another note: if the Expedition has a "soft" rear end....fix it. That will exacerbate any kind of towing issue. The vehicle is 15 years old....new shocks, LT tires and possibly a sway bar (if it doesn't have one - upgraded if it does). I know it sounds like a lot but jumping into RVs and "getting on the road" can get expensive to do it right and be safe.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
Plumbtrician

Great, thank you guys again for all the knowledge. This is very exciting for all of us!

Tags