Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
EVMIII

2014 Alpine Converter/charger

How can I determine what converter/charger came in my Alpine (single phase, 3 phase)? I am planning on dry camping for extended periods and will need to charge my batteries several times during the stay. I have already swapped my single 27 series battery for to Trojan 6Vs and swapped all lights to LED. I have a Honda 2K inverter generator to do the charging.

My question is do I just plug this into the RV (with a couple adapters) and use the on board charger or am I better off with a dedicated charger plugged into the Honda? Assuming minimal draw (a few LEDs, occasional water pump, fridge running on propane and maybe the fan with the heater), how long and how often would you estimate I'll need to run the generator?

Also considering a portable 120K solar system of some kind. If I ran this everyday while away from rv, would I even need to run the generator?

Thanks for all of your help so far, looking forward to getting out on the road.

Bud
Old 03-02-2017, 04:31 AM   #2
bsmith0404

The easiest way to determine what type of converter you have is to look at it. It's most likely located somewhere behind the basement wall in the underbelly of your main living area near your power panel.

As for the solar system, depends on how much power the system is capable of providing, how much sun you have, and how much power you're using. It's possible it would provide enough power that you will not need to use the generator.

As for using the generator, yes just plugging it in to your main power cord will charge your batteries. You don't really need to use a dedicated charger. With what you're describing for use with 2- 6 volt batteries, you should be good for a few days, I'd guess around 3, on battery power. Personal opinion, if you started the generator for an hour or so each day your batteries would probably get enough charge to the point that it never becomes an issue. When we dry camp, we would run the generator for an hour during breakfast so we could run the toaster, hair dryer ect.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
ChuckS

This is the converter in your Alpine... same as in my 3010RE

http://www.trekwood.com/products/289...ck-Mount-Cheng

I have never seen it go into mode 3 which is "buck boost".

You would do fine with those two 6 volt batteries and charging directly with your generator...

The two big battery juice drawers are the furnace fan and the fridge fans...

We dry dock camp,several times a year. After switching out the stock 12 volt batteries and going to two 6'volt we can go maybe three days without running generator...

But I run the generator every morning to make coffee, watch a little news in satellite tv, etc...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
How can I determine what converter/charger came in my Alpine (single phase, 3 phase)? I am planning on dry camping for extended periods and will need to charge my batteries several times during the stay. I have already swapped my single 27 series battery for to Trojan 6Vs and swapped all lights to LED. I have a Honda 2K inverter generator to do the charging.

My question is do I just plug this into the RV (with a couple adapters) and use the on board charger or am I better off with a dedicated charger plugged into the Honda? Assuming minimal draw (a few LEDs, occasional water pump, fridge running on propane and maybe the fan with the heater), how long and how often would you estimate I'll need to run the generator?

Also considering a portable 120K solar system of some kind. If I ran this everyday while away from rv, would I even need to run the generator?

Thanks for all of your help so far, looking forward to getting out on the road.

Bud
The furnace fan is, IMO, more than "minimal" draw. From what you are describing, that would be your "maximum" draw. Depending on the temperature and usage, it can suck a normal 12V battery down overnight. So figure that into your plans.

Tags
alpine, converter