Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #21
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
I don't attach the discharge line to the city water port, I put it in the gravity fill hole. Works great, been doing this for years.
Thanks for that update. I guess that wasn't clear in your original post. I don't have a gravity fill, hence the trying to find a way to fill.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #22
Desert185

I just spent a couple weeks dry camping in the boonies. A friend brought along a ~40 gal bladder with an AC pump from HF. Fill and pump out was via a white hose. Pump was powered by a generator. Would that work for you?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #23
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I just spent a couple weeks dry camping in the boonies. A friend brought along a ~40 gal bladder with an AC pump from HF. Fill and pump out was via a white hose. Pump was powered by a generator. Would that work for you?
It should. Either an AC or DC pump should work (there is a cigarette lighter outlet in the basement), assuming it provides enough water pressure to open the city water inlet check valve. I just don't want to spend a small fortune for something I only use a few times a year. Do you know the model of pump from HF? Thanks.

I just remembered, I found one of these in the garage recently, wondering if it has enough UMPF to work. One reviewer says it puts out about 3PSI.

http://www.amazon.com/Rule-24-Marine.../dp/B000O8D8QG
Old 05-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #24
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
It should. Either an AC or DC pump should work (there is a cigarette lighter outlet in the basement), assuming it provides enough water pressure to open the city water inlet check valve. I just don't want to spend a small fortune for something I only use a few times a year. Do you know the model of pump from HF? Thanks.

I just remembered, I found one of these in the garage recently, wondering if it has enough UMPF to work. One reviewer says it puts out about 3PSI.

http://www.amazon.com/Rule-24-Marine.../dp/B000O8D8QG
I don't, but I Googled "Harbor Freight AC water pump" and found this (not the one my buddy has, but they may not have that model anymore). My buddy mounted his on a board and mounted a switch to it. He had a DC pump in the past but he said it was too slow. We plugged his into my 2000W generator and it worked well for the purpose. I'll probably do an Amazon search, too, for a comparison pump that may be of better quality than HF.

http://t.harborfreight.com/portable-....google.com%2F
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:26 AM   #25
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I don't, but I Googled "Harbor Freight AC water pump" and found this (not the one my buddy has, but they may not have that model anymore). My buddy mounted his on a board and mounted a switch to it. He had a DC pump in the past but he said it was too slow. We plugged his into my 2000W generator and it worked well for the purpose. I'll probably do an Amazon search, too, for a comparison pump that may be of better quality than HF.

http://t.harborfreight.com/portable-....google.com%2F
Great, thanks!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #26
gearhead

For those of you saying that you don't have a gravity fill: are you saying you don't have a vent for the fresh water tank to stick a water hose or can spout in?
I have a pressure full switch/valve that I can use when hooked up to city water; or I can remove the cover off the tank vent and put a water hose or a spout in.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #27
Lawdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
For those of you saying that you don't have a gravity fill: are you saying you don't have a vent for the fresh water tank to stick a water hose or can spout in?
I have a pressure full switch/valve that I can use when hooked up to city water; or I can remove the cover off the tank vent and put a water hose or a spout in.
Precisely. The tank air vent is not the same as the old style gravity fill.

There's another long thread here--with pictures that shows the setup.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15715

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:12 AM   #28
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
No, I do have a tank vent. The tank vent isn't made for filling the water tank, although it can be done. If you read back in this thread (it's not this thread, sorry, it's the thread Lawdog linked to a few posts above ^) someone blew the connection off and flooded the inside of their trailer doing this. You must fill it V.E.R.Y. slowly in order to let air come back out the same vent you are putting water in. I don't want to have my tank burst so it also requires monitoring as opposed to going off and doing other things. With a 100 gallon tank this can take a couple beers or so. Sometimes that doesn't matter, sometimes I have places to go and things to do. So just trying to find a simple, safe and cheap way to get around this. Seems a pump and the city water connection is the only alternative. Was just looking for others in the same situation who might have had an option I hadn't considered.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #29
gearhead

Thor needs to be introduced to "Management of Change".
Or as we joked about it, accept it or....."Change of Management".
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #30
Elk4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
I tried this yesterday. It didn't work. Apparently my pump doesn't have enough pressure to open the check valve in the city water inlet. And when seeing the stream that comes out of the shower hose I can see why. Does anyone know just how much pressure is needed to open that check valve? I pushed it in with my finger and it took a good deal of pressure. More than I had expected. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
I was successfull in tranferring water with the same setup that you have in your previous picture. I don't know if you may have a different issue with the check valve on your city water connection or not. My only issue was that I did not have an airtight connection on the suction side and it stopped pumping and was drawing air. I completely drained the water tank and left the drain open so I could make sure whether or not the water was indeed getting to the tank.

1) I connected the suction line to the winterizing port.

2) I turned the lever to the winterize position. Make sure the water heater bypass is turned on.

3) I connected the outside blue shower hose to the city water connection and turned the lever to the tank fill position.

4) I turned the cold water on at the shower valve.

5) I turned on the water pump switch. Water started running out the tank drain so that told me that it was working.

I was able to transfer about two gallons before it was evident that the suction hose needed to be hooked up better because it started sucking air.
Note: The picture doesn't show my transfer setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Fill (Small).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	10483  
2011 Open Range Roamer 281FL
2013 Chev Silverado 6.6 Duramax
Elk4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:58 AM   #31
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk4me View Post
I was successfull in tranferring water with the same setup that you have in your previous picture. I don't know if you may have a different issue with the check valve on your city water connection or not. My only issue was that I did not have an airtight connection on the suction side and it stopped pumping and was drawing air. I completely drained the water tank and left the drain open so I could make sure whether or not the water was indeed getting to the tank.

1) I connected the suction line to the winterizing port.

2) I turned the lever to the winterize position. Make sure the water heater bypass is turned on.

3) I connected the outside blue shower hose to the city water connection and turned the lever to the tank fill position.

4) I turned the cold water on at the shower valve.

5) I turned on the water pump switch. Water started running out the tank drain so that told me that it was working.

I was able to transfer about two gallons before it was evident that the suction hose needed to be hooked up better because it started sucking air.
Note: The picture doesn't show my transfer setup.
I'm not sure how it could work. Earlier in this thread I posted the following.

Quote:
I tried this and it didn't work, sadly. To follow up it had nothing to do with the city water check valve. I investigated it further. The way the plumbing is in my rig this can never work. I won't make this horribly long, but there are two things preventing it from happening. First, a tee, where water meets itself head on and would have to pass itself (go both directions at once), and if it were able to do that it would then meet the winterize valve, which it would not be able to get past because it is in the winterize position. This valve would need to be in the non winterize position for the water to be able to continue on and flow into the tank. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
So I would guess your plumbing is different than mine, although the winterize valve would still prevent water from getting to the tank it would seem.

FYI, put another washer in your winterize port, that should solve your sucking air problem. I had the same problem last Fall when trying to winterize. Someone on the forum pointed out the fix.