Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
Mothra

No recall service except at dealer where purchased

We bought a new Bullet Premier 22RBPS in June. We wanted to purchase one here in the houston area but they did not have the one we were looking for so we bought it in Hammond La at Dixie RV. A few weeks ago I received a recall notice to replace a few screws on the slide mechanism. When I call Holiday World RV in the Houston area, they act as though we are from another planet and keep stalling on doing the work (in the recent past, we have also purchased and serviced a new motorhome from these folks). They told me that I had to bring the camper in first so that they could look at it! I had already given them the model and VIN, etc and the fix is just getting some screws from Keystone and replacing the self-tapping scores with the new ones. Why the hell would they need to "see" my trailer? We called another Keystone dealer here in the Houston area and they also are playing hardball. Both dealerships asked if we purchased the trailer from them and when I said no, my stink factor increased exponentially. Anyone else having this type of problem? The folks at Dixie RV in Hammond advised that all service work could be done at our local dealers. Apparently they meant "if they want to" (and they don't). Is this common?
Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
Javi

Yes it is very common, in fact it is so common as to be the norm. I suggest that if you can't wait you tow it to Hammond and it'll sit on their lot for several weeks.. Or you can do as I do... I take mine to a local independent RV service guy and just pay him to do the work. Normally it's less expensive and much quicker than towing it to a dealer's lot and letting it sit for three months.

I'm gonna pm you a name and number of a fellow I know down that way that may can get you going...
Old 07-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
dankent

short answer is yes ... it happens alot. But not everywhere.

from what i see when i go to my local dealership for supplies, its busy ... new sales / pdi's / repair ... from what i hear, Keystone doesn't pay very well to the shops doing the work, so if you didn't buy from a dealer ... your last in line.

Thats mostly why if i can do it .. i will.

Current:
2014 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

Sold:
2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS
dankent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
gearhead

I am disappointed that HW won't do a recall. One would think that could leave them wide open for legal issues if the recall is a safety item.
But....I and others have posted a lot about HW. Just curious, which location, Katy, League City, or Willis?
My 5th is at HW League City. Already 2 weeks overdue the target completion date.
If the reference Javi PM'ed you doesn't work, try Channelview RV on I-10 east...just outside Beltway 8. Good people. They did what HW couldn't do in 3 visits. Family owned and operated. No RV sales, just parts and service. Been there forever.
http://www.channelviewsupply.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
Barbell

I understand not everyone has had the same experience, but we have never been asked "did you buy it here?" at any Camping World. We have been in several from Arizona to South Carolina. Haven't had all that much in the way of problems but when we did, they were helpful.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:05 AM   #6
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yes it is very common, in fact it is so common as to be the norm. I suggest that if you can't wait you tow it to Hammond and it'll sit on their lot for several weeks.. Or you can do as I do... I take mine to a local independent RV service guy and just pay him to do the work. Normally it's less expensive and much quicker than towing it to a dealer's lot and letting it sit for three months.

I'm gonna pm you a name and number of a fellow I know down that way that may can get you going...

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try them.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:15 AM   #7
carwheel_09

No recall service except at dealer where purchased

I had the step recall done at HW Katy. While I was there for a doctor appointment in Houston. Spent the night in their campground and in the morning they took the fiver back for service. Did the recall and took care of several smaller issues. Spent the night again in their campground and then drove back to Baton Rouge. The family owned dealer close to me wasn't interested in doing the recall either. Their take on servicing anything not bought from this is blunt, YOU choose not to be OUR customer. What I have learned from my out of town dealer experience is expect this attitude. On a side note HW in Katy has greatly improved their service department. A one day while you what repair would have been unheard of a year ago.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:24 AM   #8
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I am disappointed that HW won't do a recall. One would think that could leave them wide open for legal issues if the recall is a safety item.
But....I and others have posted a lot about HW. Just curious, which location, Katy, League City, or Willis?
My 5th is at HW League City. Already 2 weeks overdue the target completion date.
If the reference Javi PM'ed you doesn't work, try Channelview RV on I-10 east...just outside Beltway 8. Good people. They did what HW couldn't do in 3 visits. Family owned and operated. No RV sales, just parts and service. Been there forever.
http://www.channelviewsupply.com/

It is the Katy Holiday World. They always took good care of us when see had the motorhome that we purchased from them. The attitude changed dramatically when we showed up with a trailer purchased from another dealer. One of the reasons that we bought the Keystone is that we were advised that any Keystone dealer will do service and recall work. Apparently not enough money in it for them to be interested. They have also been schooled in what to say and not say in order for it to appear that they are working with you. The problem is that they make it so difficult, untimely and unreasonable that they know you won't bring it in. Also, try to get a returned phone call. I do have a "campaign methodology" that will make them wish they had just fixed it the first time that I called. I have successfully, legally, and rightfully blitzed other businesses for unfair business practices and will do it again. When I am done, they will have lost a more in sales than what it would have cost to just fix the damn thing (and I'll feel better). They are accustomed to dealing with timid people who just roll over. I am so sick of the public being the victims of these businesses that have no loyalty to their customers or manufacturer commitments.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #9
dcg9381

Anyone know what the actual (approximate) reimbursement rate is for dealers on warranty items (Keystone)?

Quote:
..any Keystone dealer will do service and recall work.
That's actually a true statement, but should be followed by ".... when they get around to it."

I'd just like to know what's going on. I'd even be willing to pay up front in some scenarios if that takes the "approval" wait time out of the process.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwheel_09 View Post
I had the step recall done at HW Katy. While I was there for a doctor appointment in Houston. Spent the night in their campground and in the morning they took the fiver back for service. Did the recall and took care of several smaller issues. Spent the night again in their campground and then drove back to Baton Rouge. The family owned dealer close to me wasn't interested in doing the recall either. Their take on servicing anything not bought from this is blunt, YOU choose not to be OUR customer. What I have learned from my out of town dealer experience is expect this attitude. On a side note HW in Katy has greatly improved their service department. A one day while you what repair would have been unheard of a year ago.
Hmmm...maybe all the dummies at Katy moved to League City.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
mark1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
It is the Katy Holiday World. They always took good care of us when see had the motorhome that we purchased from them. The attitude changed dramatically when we showed up with a trailer purchased from another dealer. One of the reasons that we bought the Keystone is that we were advised that any Keystone dealer will do service and recall work. Apparently not enough money in it for them to be interested. They have also been schooled in what to say and not say in order for it to appear that they are working with you. The problem is that they make it so difficult, untimely and unreasonable that they know you won't bring it in. Also, try to get a returned phone call. I do have a "campaign methodology" that will make them wish they had just fixed it the first time that I called. I have successfully, legally, and rightfully blitzed other businesses for unfair business practices and will do it again. When I am done, they will have lost a more in sales than what it would have cost to just fix the damn thing (and I'll feel better). They are accustomed to dealing with timid people who just roll over. I am so sick of the public being the victims of these businesses that have no loyalty to their customers or manufacturer commitments.
So you bought your trailer somewhere else and you are "sick of the public being the victims of these businesses that have no loyalty to their customers or manufacturer commitments"? Where is your loyalty to the dealer? And please tell me how you know what the dealer commitment is to the manufacturer?
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
gearhead

I often wonder/worry what will happen if I ever have a serious issue while on the road 1,000 miles from the "dealer I bought it from".
One of these days they will kill the goose that laid the golden egg.
In my case it may be sooner rather than later.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS