Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
dsttexas

Heavy highway rain comes up through slideout

New High County 293RK. After traveling in some real heavy rain, with lots of splash and blowing water, we had wet carpet in the kitchen slideout. This carpet is very close to the edge of the floor, only about 6 inches inside the trailer wall, and just sticks out a little past the slide out floor when it is extended. Looking underneath the slideout there appears to be a shelf type affair likely intended to help stop this type of blow by getting past the slide out floor and into the RV. The splashing rain would have to swirling pretty good to get past it, but it did so twice. Photo attached.

Anyone else seen this and have any suggestions?

I'm thinking of adding a little lip to that shelf like device to close if off some more. Very little clearance at all between edge of shelf and outside slide out wall when closed, so hard to see how water got through, but it did. Slowing to under 35 mph or so might be the only preventative, if even that would work. My speed was about 50 at most during the storm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20150519130138617[1].jpg
Views:	183
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	8629  
Old 05-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

My thought is because of only a 1 year warranty, get it to the dealer to start finding a fix. Maybe the slide is not closing correctly. If not under warranty any longer, be sure where the water is getting into the trailer. It may not be where you think. Remember normally water flows down of course road spray would be forced up before it starts running down again. Get everything dry and spray water in where and how you think it's coming in and be sure you found the spot and only spot. I drive in road spray and rain on many trips. So, far 2 RVs with slides have not leaked at or around the slide.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
jaitken0016

I have been through several heavy down pours over the years. I have never had any type of water leak. Due to the potential of water damage in the future and rottting wood, I would try and get it to the dealer soon.
jaitken0016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
Harleyhop

I too have had many different TT and 5vers with slide outs and have been through many a rain storm towing. I have never had one slide out leak from driv ing in rain. I would definitely get it back to the dealer to have it checked out IMO.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
dsttexas

Latest update. Dealer service agreed there is a design issue with this slide, and got agreement from Keystone to perform a custom repair. They installed a rubber wiper type of fix such that it remains in contact with the slide floor going in or out, and when closed provides a much more complete seal against such blowing rain underneath getting past the slide bottom.

Will have to wait until driving in next major rainstorm to test it.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

So, I assume keystone is notifing and correcting the units that share the same slide design, right? :-)

In the mean time, can you share photos of the fix??
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I'm glad the they found to a way to hopefully stop the water leak.

I've had 3 custom repairs on my trailer that I believe were due to design errors. Keystone agreed to modify the trailer to my satisfaction but don't know that they agreed that it was a design error and I'm certain they didn't notify all of the owners of said model - nor would I expect them to.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I was out messing with the trailer today and looked under my slides with this post in mind. My slides have rubber "strips" that don't particularly stick to the bottom of my slides but definitely are designed to seal up with the slide when closed to close off moisture....maybe yours were forgotten? At least yours were fixed...hopefully
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote