Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Keywestparrothead

Tow Vehicle Backup light reflections

Does anyone else have issue with the TV backup light reflecting off of the front storage area of the 5er (or any camper, but specifically the 5er because it is so close to the rear of the TV) when backing up in the dark? I find that it is close to impossible to see beyond the reflection while backing into spots in the dark making it difficult to lineup for proper placement.

I have thought about large magnet sheets to cover the lights, using one of the Upfitter switches in the truck (wired to the backup bulb socket) to temporarily turn the lights off and even switching to smoked lens in the rear to reduce the amount of light output. I even thought about mounting area lights on the upper corners, of the 5er, to point down onto the surrounding ground when I am backing up. Guess I could always stop washing that section of the camper and eventually it would just stop reflecting the light

Has anyone else made this mod or come up with a good solution? Thanks for taking the time for your suggestions.

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU
Keywestparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:19 AM   #2
jsmith948

Good topic. Yes, we have the same issue. One of the members (Trucker Lou?) posted about adding back-up lights near his landing gear to illuminate the trailer wheels while backing. I plan on doing this. The rear bumper mounted lights I installed work ok but, would like better lighting along the side of the trailer.
As for the truck's back-up lights, I like the idea of a switch. For now, if it is really bothersome, a square of Gorilla tape over the lens works.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:38 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Your truck and trailer are too clean ... a little mud on the lens and you got it made. ....Seriously, I have never had that problem, but now that you brought it to my attention I know it will drive me nuts. I have found that after about 25' backup lights on the rear of trailers don't do much but help the DW see what she is screaming about. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Your truck and trailer are too clean ... a little mud on the lens and you got it made. ....Seriously, I have never had that problem, but now that you brought it to my attention I know it will drive me nuts. I have found that after about 25' backup lights on the rear of trailers don't do much but help the DW see what she is screaming about. JM2¢, Hank
Too funny. I'll guess your DW doesn't read your posts?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywestparrothead View Post
Does anyone else have issue with the TV backup light reflecting off of the front storage area of the 5er (or any camper, but specifically the 5er because it is so close to the rear of the TV) when backing up in the dark? I find that it is close to impossible to see beyond the reflection while backing into spots in the dark making it difficult to lineup for proper placement.

I have thought about large magnet sheets to cover the lights, using one of the Upfitter switches in the truck (wired to the backup bulb socket) to temporarily turn the lights off and even switching to smoked lens in the rear to reduce the amount of light output. I even thought about mounting area lights on the upper corners, of the 5er, to point down onto the surrounding ground when I am backing up. Guess I could always stop washing that section of the camper and eventually it would just stop reflecting the light

Has anyone else made this mod or come up with a good solution? Thanks for taking the time for your suggestions.
Parrot

I installed a (wired) camera and a set of 15 watt Led lamps on back bumper.
The wires feed under the trailer attached to the frame. I use a connector called "Power Pole" ( used a lot in ham radio) to transfer power for camera, video, and 12 volts for LED lights. Works great for backing up at night or day.

Cheers
Bill
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...hrDRoCxqLw_wcB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140905006242...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Rick

I don't think I'd disable them with a switch. It's something you'll forget to turn back on, or the wiring/switch will go bad and maybe cause problems (perhaps legal) later. Found this on the CA DMV site about backup lamps. I don't know what all the exact laws are regarding backup lights...there's probably both Fed and State rules.

Backup Lamps

24606. (a) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, of a type subject to registration and manufactured on and after January 1, 1969, shall be equipped with one or more backup lamps either separately or in combination with another lamp. Any vehicle may be equipped with backup lamps.

(b) Backup lamps shall be so directed as to project a white light illuminating the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance not to exceed 75 feet. A backup lamp may project incidental red, amber, or white light through reflectors or lenses that are adjacent or close to, or a part of, the lamp assembly.

(c) Backup lamps shall not be lighted except when the vehicle is about to be or is backing or except in conjunction with a lighting system which activates the lights for a temporary period after the ignition system is turned off.

(d) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with a lamp emitting white light on each side near or on the rear of the vehicle which is designed to provide supplemental illumination in an area to the side and rear not lighted by the backup lamps. These lamps shall be lighted only with the backup lamps.

And this-
The purpose of backup lights is to: (a) help avoid collisions while you are backing up at night by improving visibility, and (b) alert others to the fact that you are backing up or about to back up.

Section b (in bold, done by me) is what concerns me, personally. As an avid walker, I've found that drivers generally don't see walkers. For some reason we become invisible. I use the backup lights as one way to determine what a driver is doing. If they've been electrically overridden and I'm injured (either walking or driving), there's going to be a problem.

The smoked lens might also give you a legal problem. You'll have to check your own state laws. In CA, they have to be white. I'd go the route of the magnetic sheets, with some type of reminder that wouldn't allow you to forget to remove them.

I didn't notice anything about how dim they could be. You might try getting bulbs that are less wattage. Or LED's bulbs and cover most of the individual LED's with paint or such to lower the bulbs brightness. Again, you'd have to check your state laws.

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I would put a piece of tape over them when you know that your going to be connected and backing at night. Pull the tape off when not and clean the glue off the lens. What would that take several minutes and cost nearly nothing.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #8
Pull Toy

Don't over-engineer it. Blue Painters Masking Tape, or even Post it notes, No muss no fuss, easy on, easy off! Take it off when done.

Another thought... If you arrive in time for "Happy Hour" you won't need back ups! LOL

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
Keywestparrothead

Thanks all for the replies. I was most concerned with the inability to see beyond the front of the 5er as light was reflecting off of the camper. This was most notable when backing and turning in the dark. I agree with the KISS approach that Ken and Pulltoy had made, painters tape could be the trick

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU
Keywestparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
carwheel_09

Watched a Carriage brand fiver back in next to one night and he didn't have the glare coming of his rig. The next morning I noticed the lower front was black. Guy said it came from the factory that way. He really liked it, no glare and hid the road grime.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote