Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #21
denverpilot

The best tool is a finger. Sometimes a little water on your finger helps. Sometimes a cheap disposable plastic glove.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #22
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
The best tool is a finger. Sometimes a little water on your finger helps. Sometimes a cheap disposable plastic glove.
Thanks denverpilot. I did use a rubber glove, but the gloves I had on hand are too thick of a material, the fingertip isn't flexible enough. I just threw away two boxes of really thin latex gloves because they tore too easily. Now, I wish I had them back.

I did think about water too and how that might help. I will get a thinner glove and use water next time. Thanks for the advice.
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #23
Courtland
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
OK, so I installed the first light today. Wiring it was fine. I definitely like this new fixture assembly, looks much nicer than the existing light. The only thing I am not satisfied with is my caulk job. It isn't horrible, but it isn't anywhere near as smooth as the caulk on the existing lights (which looks black and horrible by the way). I don't have much experience doing caulk work at all. Is there a tool to use to make a nice straight bead? I used my finger to try to smooth the bead out. Hopefully the following photo is big enough to see it clearly...
Try using a damp rag after you go over it with your finger to help clean it up. Remember that a small amount of caulk is all that is needed, once you start using your finger to spread it out a little goes a long way.
My buddies 08 Keystone Fuzion 362 when its just the guys.
https://www.keystonerv.org
https://www.desertriders.org/forums
Courtland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #24
denverpilot

Also frankly some caulk behaves poorly and good quality stuff spreads easier. Don't know what type you're using but something I've noticed. A couple extra bucks on the caulk usually results in it acting better.

At the end of the day, no one is going to notice it up there but you. Most import part is keeping the water out.

But I do understand the desire to make it look good and craftsmanship.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #25
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland View Post
Try using a damp rag after you go over it with your finger to help clean it up. Remember that a small amount of caulk is all that is needed, once you start using your finger to spread it out a little goes a long way.
Thanks for the tip. And I do know that I probably put the caulk on a little heavy. I was looking at the caulk of the existing lights, and while the bead looks excellent, boy it sure is thin. I found one place on one of the lights where there is a pinhole in the caulk. Because of that, I guess I sort of decided that I would apply the caulk a little heavier.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #26
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Also frankly some caulk behaves poorly and good quality stuff spreads easier. Don't know what type you're using but something I've noticed. A couple extra bucks on the caulk usually results in it acting better.

At the end of the day, no one is going to notice it up there but you. Most import part is keeping the water out.

But I do understand the desire to make it look good and craftsmanship.
I am using the ProFlex RV caulk. It seems to be a good quality product. It goes on nice and can be spread pretty easily. I just need to get "the touch" down. Glad that I started on one of the upper lights instead of one of the side lights at waist level. I did stand back from the trailer and look at the light I finished and realized that 100 people could walk by and likely no one would even notice the caulk. But, it definitely will bother me if I don't get better at it and do a better job on the remaining lights. As you said, the main thing is to keep water out. So, I certainly will err on the side of caution and maybe apply a bit heavier than it really needs to be.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #27
denverpilot

Heavy isn't really needed. Just think about where the water would run and pool and make a nice path for it to flow away...
Old 08-29-2014, 04:26 AM   #28
Carrnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
I am using the ProFlex RV caulk. It seems to be a good quality product. It goes on nice and can be spread pretty easily. I just need to get "the touch" down. Glad that I started on one of the upper lights instead of one of the side lights at waist level. I did stand back from the trailer and look at the light I finished and realized that 100 people could walk by and likely no one would even notice the caulk. But, it definitely will bother me if I don't get better at it and do a better job on the remaining lights. As you said, the main thing is to keep water out. So, I certainly will err on the side of caution and maybe apply a bit heavier than it really needs to be.

Hey Dirt,

Just a quick note to let you know I walked by your rig and noticed someone did a crappy looking caulk job.

I'm sure it will keep the water out, that is the point of it anyways

By the time you do the last one (or if you have) you'll be an expert. However you will lose some of that "touch" just in time to need it the next time.
2003 Dodge 3500 Laramie
https://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps3eggbarc.pnghttps://rs791.pbsrc.com/albums/yy200/...all-1.jpg~c100https://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...psp0c7xac6.jpg
Carrnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #29
dirt33

Right on Carrnutt. I know what you mean, the more I do the better I will get. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #30
Alpine

For caulking around the house and for the rv... use painters (blue) tape and mask off the area you are caulking, on the fixture itself and leave a quarter inch distance (less or more) for caulk on the wall of your trailer. Immediately after caulking pull of the tape and presto... a straight line!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #31
dirt33

That's a real good idea Alpine, thanks for mentioning it.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #32
billandjan

ProFlex RV (made by Geocel) is what RV factories use.

Try soapy water.... it is more slippery, and works better than just plain water.

Several marker lights also worth considering are these:

https://ledtrailerlights-com.3dcarts...m/cm-mcl32.htm

https://ledtrailerlights-com.3dcarts.../cm-1a-s68.htm
billandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:15 AM   #33
kampfitt

LED Tail & Marker Lights

These are the marker lights I used, all sealed just wires out the back.These are much brighter than stock and weather can't get in. also The taillights I used much brighter than stock also. I'll get some pics at night and post them.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...h-14-leds/587/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...h-14-leds/587/
kampfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #34
billandjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandjan View Post
These are sealed too, and a little less expensive.
billandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #35
kampfitt

LED Tail & Marker Lights

Here are some pics of my install

Old 10-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #36
dirt33

Looks good kampfitt, thanks for posting.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #37
kampfitt

Led Tail lights

The pictures really don't do the lights justice , they are much brighter than stock and the brake/turn are Great!! People actually let you move over when you have turn signal on! the marker light are great also.