Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #21
ROLIN JOSEPH

Back to item #5,
If you would like to fill the black water tank, say half full, before you flush it again, you can 'very carefully' jam the toilet bowl flapper valve in the open position. (no, not with someone else's toothbrush!). The idea is not to build up air pressure in the tank.
Also turn on your exhaust fan in the washroom.

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

In response to blocking open the toilet flush ball and turning on the exhaust fan to fill the black tank, in many RV's that's not a "real good idea"....

Here's why: The rubber seal around the toilet opening is designed to "pop off" to be replaced, the ball valve closes against that rubber seal to hold water in the toilet, but more important, to prevent sewer gasses from coming up into the toilet. Using an object (even a toothbrush) to block open the ball valve so water can run into the black tank from the toilet bowl, could deform or damage the rubber seal. That would lead to not being able to keep water in the bowl, allowing the gas (stench) to enter the bathroom. It can be easily replaced, but it's not a pleasant task. It's best to not damage the seal by not using anything to block open the toilet.

Additionally, there is a 1.5" vent stack that usually runs inside the wall from the black tank to the roof (sometimes it's not inside the wall, but there is always a vent stack somewhere). This vent stack relieves any gas pressure that may build up in the black tank and prevents the toilet from bubbling and splashing when flushed. This vent stack is attached to the top of the black tank, so it is very unlikely that it would ever clog and stop venting (unless one should overfill the black tank and start pushing solids up the vent stack). Using the black tank flush to "partially fill the black tank to help remove solids" is something that many of us do on a regular basis. The only "catch" or "pitfall" is walking away and forgetting to open the dump valve before the black tank fills completely with water. Theoretically, it won't rupture the black tank because the vent stack will prevent that from happening, but it's not a "pretty sight" to have black tank contents rolling off your RV roof when it starts flowing out the top of the vent stack.

Also, turning on the exhaust fan when flushing the toilet (if the RV windows are closed), will draw air down the black tank vent stack, through the "wonderfully aromatic" black tank air, and into the toilet opening. This will efficiently help fill the bathroom with that uniquely familiar aroma most of us seek to avoid. If one should block open the toilet ball valve, turn on the exhaust fan (with the RV windows closed) it won't be too long before watering eyes prevail as the exhaust fan pulls air from the black tank and into the bathroom.

So, to address item #5, Many of us do use the black tank flush to partially fill the black tank as a way of helping remove any remaining solids. The key point to remember about doing that is to stay focused on what you're doing so you aren't tempted to walk away and forget that you're filling your black tank at the rate of about 3 gallons per minute. After about 15 minutes, you'll be in for a rude awakening, either by the sound of a "boom" as the black tank ruptures or when your DW asks you, "Where is that brown water coming from that's dripping off the awning?" It will likely be the latter, from an unhappy DW.

We make it a habit of using the exhaust fan when the toilet room is in use, but always turn it off before flushing to prevent drawing tank odors into the bathroom through the toilet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #23
ROLIN JOSEPH

Ok, John, I fully agree, that what I suggested was totally stupid, silly, and technically incorrect.
What the heck was I thinking!??? (or drinking?)
Thanks.

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Hmmm I'm not sure, but whatever you were drinking musta been some good stuff, eh? But remember, nothing is "totally stupid and silly" if learning and understanding occur.

Hey, if it makes the black tank smells good enough to keep inside, maybe I need a bottle of your "drinking stuff" for the next time I put my rubber gloves on to dump my tanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #25
murphysranch

Staying in touch with this thread. They were great questions for us newbies.
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote