Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
MJB

Cougar 25RLS

I have a Cougar 24 RKS which I am considering replacing with a Cougar 25RLS which will add quite a lot of room.
I tow the 24ft with a Chevrolet Silverado 4 x 4 with a 5.3 ltr engine & 4.1 differential without problems other than on windy days .
Does anyone have input on towing the 25RLS with a similar truck?
MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

MJB,

to the forum. You're sure to get lots of different opinions about your tow vehicle and trailer choices.

Essentially, between those two RV's, I think it boils down to what you like and can afford. Basically both the RV's you mention have the same GVW, tongue weights are within 100 lbs (dry) and although the floorplans will lead to a different loading configuration, if you are careful in how you load, you can keep tongue weights nearly the same with either RV.

If you're happy with your current rig's performance, you should be just about the same weight and tow configuration with the new one. The biggest difference, I believe, will be the overall length. You may (then maybe not) have a bit more sway with the longer RV, and might need to address that problem with hitch modifications ???

Overall, I think you'll find either RV will tow about the same behind your truck.

Good luck with your decision, look around the forum and I think you'll find tons of good information about RVing in general and more specifically about Keystone, Cougars and even the model you have as well as the one you want...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
rtltspd

WE just recived our 2014 25ft cougar rls.It replaced a 24ft springdale. We made the change for the added room and the captain chairs. I towed both trailers with a 2013 Dodge Ram with the 5.7 395 hp and 8 speed transmission and have had no problems at all. It has plenty of power and I use a sway control and levelers when I tow. We are very happy with the 25ft cougar. The only complaint is that the cougar TV is a little small we plan to change the tv but if you have been in the cougar it has a very small area to work with. We ordered the cougar and it took 7 weeks to get it. GOOD LUCK if you have any questios please ask. Tim
rtltspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Murphsmom

25rls

We tow our 2013 25RLS with a 2005 Dodge 1500 with the hemi. It tows very well with this truck.

My only suggestion is that you really take your time looking over the kitchen. It is definitely NOT as user friendly as the one in the 24RK. We do love the extra floor space, though.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphsmom View Post
We tow our 2013 25RLS with a 2005 Dodge 1500 with the hemi. It tows very well with this truck.

My only suggestion is that you really take your time looking over the kitchen. It is definitely NOT as user friendly as the one in the 24RK. We do love the extra floor space, though.
Thanks for the input.
I took the TV table from the bedroom in our 24RK & mounted it at the end of the existing counter which made a noticable difference.
I am sure my wife will be reviewing the kitchen with great interest before we decide to purchase a 25rls.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Sn0wthost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I have a Cougar 24 RKS which I am considering replacing with a Cougar 25RLS which will add quite a lot of room.
I tow the 24ft with a Chevrolet Silverado 4 x 4 with a 5.3 ltr engine & 4.1 differential without problems other than on windy days .
Does anyone have input on towing the 25RLS with a similar truck?
I pull a 31RKS with my Ford Expedition (5.4L V8) and it does just fine at 60 and slower. I'm going to have to upgrade to a diesel next year, as I want to start hauling my Gold Wing behind the TT (another 1500 lbs, including the MC trailer).

If you've been happy with the Silverado and the 24RLS, the 25RLS change should be unnoticable.

Jim & Donna <><
2013 Cougar X-Lite 31RKS
Middle Tennessee Area
Sn0wthost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphsmom View Post

I agree with your observation.
If we go ahead with the purchase I have decided to replace the counter extension with a longer one.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtltspd View Post
WE just recived our 2014 25ft cougar rls.It replaced a 24ft springdale. We made the change for the added room and the captain chairs. I towed both trailers with a 2013 Dodge Ram with the 5.7 395 hp and 8 speed transmission and have had no problems at all. It has plenty of power and I use a sway control and levelers when I tow. We are very happy with the 25ft cougar. The only complaint is that the cougar TV is a little small we plan to change the tv but if you have been in the cougar it has a very small area to work with. We ordered the cougar and it took 7 weeks to get it. GOOD LUCK if you have any questios please ask. Tim
How do you find the captains chairs for comfort?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
rtltspd

Captain Chairs

Our chairs are leather and I am very happy with them I am not a small person but I belive for the inside of a trailer the size is fine. You will want to have something to put ypur feet on, it helps a lot.They beat the heck out oif the table or couch.The fact that they are free standing is also nice when you want to turn around and look out that big window.
rtltspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
hckyplyr72

Small TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtltspd View Post
We told Camping World we would make the deal only if they put a bigger TV in it. They switched it to a 32" LG though a 39" will fit. I also added a 28" VIZIO sound bar and a subwoofer under the dinette. I had to raise the TV about 3.5" up and it sounds great!
hckyplyr72 is offline   Reply With Quote