Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
far733

RV Stabilizer Positioning

I own a 30 foot travel trailer with quad bunks in the back and the master bedroom in the front. I snug up each of the scissor jacks and I use two Bal X-Chocks between each set of tires. However, there is still quite a bit of movement within the trailer.

I am interested in getting a set of RV stabilizers (either Bal Lock-Arm or Steadyfast). I was considering installing one stabilizer on each scissor jack going from side to side. This should stop most side to side motion. I figure that the X-Chocks are stopping most of the the fore/aft movement so there shouldn't be a need to mount any of the stabilzers front to back.

What are your thoughts/opinions on this?
far733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
MIKEPATC

Steadyfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by far733 View Post
I own a 30 foot travel trailer with quad bunks in the back and the master bedroom in the front. I snug up each of the scissor jacks and I use two Bal X-Chocks between each set of tires. However, there is still quite a bit of movement within the trailer.

I am interested in getting a set of RV stabilizers (either Bal Lock-Arm or Steadyfast). I was considering installing one stabilizer on each scissor jack going from side to side. This should stop most side to side motion. I figure that the X-Chocks are stopping most of the the fore/aft movement so there shouldn't be a need to mount any of the stabilzers front to back.

What are your thoughts/opinions on this?
Love my Steadyfast. Takes out 90-95% of the movement. Great customer service as well.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
far733

Thanks for the response! I have not decided which set I am going to go with yet.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to install the stabilizers to minimize the movement (i.e. one pair in the front for side to side and then another pair on the back for side to side; one pair for side to side and the other pair for front to rear; one pair for side to side and the other pair for front to rear with both placed in either the front or back; or one pair installed on one corner for both side to side and front to rear and then another set on the opposite corner, same relation). Even with my scissor jacks fully extended and with two X-chocks, my TT has a considerable amount of movement.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Kristi

We have 2 sets of Bal. One bar mounted front to back on each jack. Cut down the wiggle tremendously.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
far733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
We have 2 sets of Bal. One bar mounted front to back on each jack. Cut down the wiggle tremendously.
Do you use any between the wheel chocks with your set up (or did you prior to the install of your Bals)?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
therink

Side to side will probably be all you need if your wheels are positively chocked. I would start with side to side lock arms on front and rear stabilizers and see how that works.
Keep in mind that with a longer trailer, you will almost always experience frame flex and suspension bounce from movement in the trailer. If I am staying at a site for more than a couple of days, I sometimes place bottle jacks under the frame at the leaf spring equalizer, which reduces the flexing and suspension movement.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
GaryWT

We use the Valterra stabilizers. We know we will always have movement but we also go out of level when we open the slides so we are trying to limit that as well.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
Courtland
Site Team | Emeritus

I'll second the Steadyfast system, worked great on my 5th wheel and it got rid of at least 90% of the motion and 100% of the wife's complaints. I had a question about the install and Paul the owner of the company called me directly, found out I ordered the wrong version and he overnighted me the correct pieces at no charge. The customer service he provides is exceptional, its a great product and I highly recommend the Steadyfast system.
My buddies 08 Keystone Fuzion 362 when its just the guys.
https://www.keystonerv.org
https://www.desertriders.org/forums
Courtland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
far733

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Side to side will probably be all you need if your wheels are positively chocked. I would start with side to side lock arms on front and rear stabilizers and see how that works.
Keep in mind that with a longer trailer, you will almost always experience frame flex and suspension bounce from movement in the trailer. If I am staying at a site for more than a couple of days, I sometimes place bottle jacks under the frame at the leaf spring equalizer, which reduces the flexing and suspension movement.
They are positively chocked (I used X-Chocks btwn both sets of wheels and I re-tighten them after the tires cool).

I'm still torn on the best way to install them. I'm pretty sure that I will purchase two sets (4 stabilizers). I have considered installing all 4 going side to side. However, I'm wondering how it would work if I installed them on opposite corners with one pair installed on one rear corner for both side to side and front to rear and then another set on the front opposite corner, same relation. It seems that this way would support the triangulation theories.

Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

BAL stabilizers are sold in a set of 2 rods for each jack position. In their literature, tBAL recommends installing all 4 rods on the front landing gear (for fifth wheels) and state that should eliminate most of the movement. They go on to say that if additional stability is desired, to install one set on a single jack position on the rear of the RV.

We installed on our front landing gear (I'd say that's similar to the two front jacks on a travel trailer) in both the lateral and longitudinal planes and with the x-chocks, we haven't noticed enough movement to warrant doing anything further. Of course we don't have kids jumping from beds and we don't square dance in the trailer either.... So, with that kind of movement, I can't comment, but with regular walking, sitting, standing activity, we're satisfied with all 4 rods on the front landing gear.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
far733

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
BAL stabilizers are sold in a set of 2 rods for each jack position. In their literature, tBAL recommends installing all 4 rods on the front landing gear (for fifth wheels) and state that should eliminate most of the movement. They go on to say that if additional stability is desired, to install one set on a single jack position on the rear of the RV.

We installed on our front landing gear (I'd say that's similar to the two front jacks on a travel trailer) in both the lateral and longitudinal planes and with the x-chocks, we haven't noticed enough movement to warrant doing anything further. Of course we don't have kids jumping from beds and we don't square dance in the trailer either.... So, with that kind of movement, I can't comment, but with regular walking, sitting, standing activity, we're satisfied with all 4 rods on the front landing gear.
LOL! We definately have kids running around!

That is interesting that you mentioned installing them on the front jacks of the TT as opposed to the rear. I can see why one would do this with a FW b/c there is not a lot of support up front and it sits higher. However, TT's have the A-Frame on the front with the tongue jack which you think would provide extra support up front.