Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Stereo Upgrade Update

Bought a new 2020 Montana HC 331RL. Never dreamed the "sound system" could be so poor. Unlike any trailer we had before (with a sound system) this one only had 2 speakers in the wall under the TV with a Furrion "head" powering the system. The speakers under inspection were the cheapest things I've ever seen; replaced with JBL speakers - a great upgrade for what it was.

The speakers helped but due to placement, power etc. they just could not put out enough for me to hear when I am cooking.....10' away. Just terrible. Fretted, fussed, studied and carried on (DW hates that). Found a Polk sound bar with sub at Best Buy a couple of days ago...great reviews. Hard to fit in our configuration but figured I would make it work....so I bought it and picked it up in Tallahassee yesterday....put it in this evening.

Having suffered through such poor sound systems in RVs (as most have) and replaced speakers etc. to improve, I was super impressed with this unit. It was way cheap (199). So easy to install you could do it in your sleep. Is it an audiophiles dream? Not hardly. Is it a 1000% improvement on the RV system? Yes.

I've always had ceiling speakers or sound systems I installed "up high" - never had or used a sound bar; I never liked the sounds coming straight at me from "up front". Well, that's what I had with the factory setup and it failed dismally. But!!! I'm happy with this thing. Got to figure out how to secure the TV with the bar behind that but doesn't look like a big deal.

Anyway, just an fyi for those looking for "something" as I have been doing to improve that abysmal sound from OEM systems.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
Ruko

I have a Polk sound bar and sub woofer in my house as well. It sounds great for the size and fills our living room very well. Technology has come a long way from the giant tower speakers of old.

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Ruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

I couldn't hear our TV from 10' away when the A/C is running so installed a sound bar in our camper. Huge difference. I have an appx. 40" entertainment center hole and put it under the TV. I had mounted a sheet of plywood inside the opening (and stained it to looked like the cabinet) and mounted an articulating TV mount so the TV can pivot towards the couch as we don't sit across from the TV. Mounted the sound bar to the lower frame of the opening. Wouldn't take much for RV manufacturers to figure out their TV placement and poor sound are easy fixes.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stereo, upgrade