Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
levic900rr

Power Distribution Mod / Upgrade

Hey Team, I'm planning out a change to the way my 12V power is configured on the tongue of my trailer. Its a 2020 Passport 239ML (which we LOVE) but my OCD won't let me leave this alone...

My plan is to install a better power distribution block inside the passthrough with a main battery shut off switch. This way everything is protected from the weather, and I can actually shut off my battery without pulling the box apart.

My question is, has anyone messed with pulling the underbelly down so you can get to the stuff inside? If so, whats my best bet to get those weird nails out?

As you can see right now all this wiring is hanging off the front frame rail out in the weather and then everything runs into the underbelly. I want to follow it back cut the wires back and just have a single power and ground running into the trailer.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	27787  
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
Sarge2

Your TT and my 2020 Passport 2600BH wiring look the same... my OCD won't allow me to keep it this way after the basic warranty runs out... I don't like crimp connectors, no shrink wrap or any shielding from the weather... I was looking at simply putting it all inside a weather resistant box and doing the connections "properly" i.e. soldered and shrink wrapped... I'd rather not put anything in the pass thru storage area. Just my thoughts...
Sarge
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
levic900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Your TT and my 2020 Passport 2600BH wiring look the same... my OCD won't allow me to keep it this way after the basic warranty runs out... I don't like crimp connectors, no shrink wrap or any shielding from the weather... I was looking at simply putting it all inside a weather resistant box and doing the connections "properly" i.e. soldered and shrink wrapped... I'd rather not put anything in the pass thru storage area. Just my thoughts...
Sarge
Good idea. As much as I'd love to have it all inside a water proof box might be the easiest way to skin that cat.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #4
Steveo57

I took the rats nest of wires and auto reset breakers on the tongue and moved it all into a box that's sealed up. It's all of protected from the weather now and much neater. I also traced out the wiring as I redid it all so I now have a nice wiring diagram of the trailer for future reference.

Here's some before and after pictures.

And pulling the underbelly down is not that bad. They used power nails and screws on mine. The power nails can sometimes be pulled out using an impact driver with the appropriate socket jammed on the head of the nail. Otherwise I used a prybar, catsclaw, hammer, vice grips, grinder combo to get them off. I replaced them all with screws when I closed it back up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00002IMG_00002_BURST20180328112100_COVER.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	27797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190508_150643.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	27798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181017_163006.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	27799  
Old 06-03-2020, 05:14 AM   #5
levic900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
I took the rats nest of wires and auto reset breakers on the tongue and moved it all into a box that's sealed up. It's all of protected from the weather now and much neater. I also traced out the wiring as I redid it all so I now have a nice wiring diagram of the trailer for future reference.

Here's some before and after pictures.

And pulling the underbelly down is not that bad. They used power nails and screws on mine. The power nails can sometimes be pulled out using an impact driver with the appropriate socket jammed on the head of the nail. Otherwise I used a prybar, catsclaw, hammer, vice grips, grinder combo to get them off. I replaced them all with screws when I closed it back up.

This is awesome! Thank you so much for the photo's. Where did you get that box?

Thanks again!
Old 06-03-2020, 05:21 AM   #6
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by levic900rr View Post
This is awesome! Thank you so much for the photo's. Where did you get that box?

Thanks again!
Home Depot, Lowe's, it's just PVC electrical box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200127_143136.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	27802  
Old 06-03-2020, 05:41 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Steve,

Check that box occasionally. I've had several PVC boxes leak over the years in RV use. They are designed to be "stationary, mounted vertically on the side of a building" sometimes (not always, but sometimes) when mounted on the cross member bulkhead of an RV, they are subjected to vibrations, road hazards and spray/splashing while towing. You might find everything "high and dry" but you might also find that if/when water gets inside that box, there's nowhere for it to go but to stay inside the box "corroding the contents".

Check it occasionally, hopefully it'll keep working for you, but finding a "box full of water" before everything is corroded is much better than finding it after things stop working.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #8
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Steve,

Check that box occasionally. I've had several PVC boxes leak over the years in RV use. They are designed to be "stationary, mounted vertically on the side of a building" sometimes (not always, but sometimes) when mounted on the cross member bulkhead of an RV, they are subjected to vibrations, road hazards and spray/splashing while towing. You might find everything "high and dry" but you might also find that if/when water gets inside that box, there's nowhere for it to go but to stay inside the box "corroding the contents".

Check it occasionally, hopefully it'll keep working for you, but finding a "box full of water" before everything is corroded is much better than finding it after things stop working.... YMMV
I'll pull the cover off occasionally and check. It doesn't get towed much in the rain and it has a sealed gasket around the cover so hopefully it doesn't get water in it. I did drill a few small weep holes in the bottom just in case.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I'll pull the cover off occasionally and check. It doesn't get towed much in the rain and it has a sealed gasket around the cover so hopefully it doesn't get water in it. I did drill a few small weep holes in the bottom just in case.

Thanks
Walk outside, take a look at that "sealed gasket" on any of the outlets or switches or the main "power in conduit boxes" on your home. I'd suspect that every one of those "sealed gaskets" (if they're more than a year old) will show significant signs of cracks, UV deterioration and/or obvious damage where they've been "squeezed in installing the box cover"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by levic900rr View Post
Hey Team, I'm planning out a change to the way my 12V power is configured on the tongue of my trailer. Its a 2020 Passport 239ML (which we LOVE) but my OCD won't let me leave this alone...

My plan is to install a better power distribution block inside the passthrough with a main battery shut off switch. This way everything is protected from the weather, and I can actually shut off my battery without pulling the box apart.

My question is, has anyone messed with pulling the underbelly down so you can get to the stuff inside? If so, whats my best bet to get those weird nails out?

As you can see right now all this wiring is hanging off the front frame rail out in the weather and then everything runs into the underbelly. I want to follow it back cut the wires back and just have a single power and ground running into the trailer.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
You and I have the same MY camper -
Be sure to tug on each of those crimped wires. Two of the positive wires pulled out of their terminals while I was tying up the sloppy loops of excess wires the second week I had it (barely crimped). I crimped on new properly sized ring lugs and proceeded to tighten down the rest of the nuts on the circuit breakers as well. Since we both have the same TT, it's likely the same team of assemblers (or team member) at Keystone crimped your wires just as he/she did on mine. Poor connections equal big trouble later.

I like the ideas here on the PVC box. A Jayco I had came with a metal junction box on the front and a basic metal cover keeping most of the breakers out of the driving rain, but it allowed any water penetration to simply drain out as well. I've often thought of doing the same on the Passport, but I'll wait until the warranty is up to get that far into the rewiring.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #11
Sarge2

Quote:
I like the set up but I was looking into a waterproof dust proof(if there is such a thing) Case... was looking on Amazon and they have quite a few but certainly the HD PVC box looks promising... wonder if you could just make a rubber flat gasket to replace the ones that come with the box... interesting ideas though...
Old 06-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #12
Customer1

I considered putting those circuit breakers in a box but since they open due to heat changed my mind. They will probably open at a lower rating due to inadequate airflow.

Instead I treated the connections with Deoxit D5 and then covered the studs with dielectric grease before putting the covers on. Based on past experience I figure I'm good for ten years without issues.

In addition to my Cougar I also have a 2006 sob with the original circuit breakers exposed and haven't had any trouble with them.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
I like the set up but I was looking into a waterproof dust proof(if there is such a thing) Case... was looking on Amazon and they have quite a few but certainly the HD PVC box looks promising... wonder if you could just make a rubber flat gasket to replace the ones that come with the box... interesting ideas though...
I have in the past had good luck with these, but they may be small for this application.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #14
levic900rr

My original plan was to pull everything into the passthrough and install a fused power distribution block. Nice and clean and out of the weather. Then just have one big set of cables running out to the battery box.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #15
WoodGeek

Added fuse box to pass-through

I added a fuse box and additional lighting to my Hideout pass-through area. Off of the fuse box I also added USB outlets in the bedroom. Plan to add additional outlets in the back once I decide where to route the wires.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200516_203039.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	27969   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200516_202923.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	27970   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200516_202802.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	27971  
WoodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:11 AM   #16
precab

Please keep us posted what you buy for materials since I have the exact same set up and it drives me crazy the quality is not there
precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:19 AM   #17
levic900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by precab View Post
Please keep us posted what you buy for materials since I have the exact same set up and it drives me crazy the quality is not there
I will... I hadn't thought about the warrantee aspect of things so I think at this point I'm going to wait until next year, but I will be sure to report back what I do.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #18
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I have in the past had good luck with these, but they may be small for this application.
Never thought of that type of case... I'll look closer at those... Thanks Sarg

Tags
mod, power, upgrade