Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
nanbert

Question generator inverter

We have a 25' Keystone 2020 Passport and are wanting to do some boondocking. We are looking to buy a Briggs and Stratton invertor 2200 watt generator. Is this gonna be big enough to run our A/C and small fridge?Thanks in advance for the help!
nanbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

It depends on the BTU rating of your AC and if it’s one of the “new generation” units that come with a “soft start” capacitor.

If your boondocking, run the refer and water heater on LP and it will reduce your load. General accepted rule is 3500 watts or better for AC. If your adding the outside kitchen refer, then I would definitely go with at least 3500W.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

That unit only has 2 120vac outlets on the front which tells me it isn't meant to carry the load of your AC and electrics. The B&S 3000 looks like it is the smallest in that line that has a 30A plug on it. That is about as small as I would go or go with the 2200 and the companion unit that attaches to it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
Canonman

Our 3000w Dometic generator starts and runs our 13.5k Coleman Mach A/C really well.
I agree it would be best to run the fridge on LP as long as the A/C is on as the 3kw gensets don't leave much headroom for other 110v accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9637-2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	27538  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Amps X Volts = Watts. so for a full 30 Amp service @ 120 vac would require 3,600 watts.
That said, there are basically 2 sizes and 2 types of air conditioners. 13,500 btu or 15,000 btu. Among those there "High efficiency" units that use less amperage during compressor start up.

Generators also have 2 ratings. Continuous wattage and surge wattage. Reducing the load can help by as was stated running the available appliances on LP gas. Bear in mind that the converter will also be drawing power depending on it's size as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
nanbert

thanks Everyone for the great advice! Will look into the 3000.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #7
travelin texans

Check out the Harbor Freight generators, any of them should be MUCH quieter, which everyone you camp next to will appreciate, than any brand with a Briggs & Stratton engine.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Check out the Harbor Freight generators, any of them should be MUCH quieter, which everyone you camp next to will appreciate, than any brand with a Briggs & Stratton engine.

That's exactly what I thought (used to own one) but pulled up their website and the 3000 unit was only 58db as I recall so not like the plain old generators of yore.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Harbor Freight generators have "Chinese knockoff Honda motors". I've heard that many of Honda's motors are now also made in China rather than Japan. So, the "design features of the "more quiet Honda" are actually incorporated in the HF generator power plants. That's not true with many of the B&S motors used in many competitor brands.

Which is "really quietest" ??? Hard to tell just from engine brand or design, because the frame design, sound baffling, engine speed control circuits, size of the inverter and many other factors will all affect the perception of noise and how far it travels before it's at an acceptable level. Heck, just the frequency of the noise is a factor in how "irritating" it is to some people while other people (who worked on the flightline around jet engines) can't even hear that frequency range....

So, as much as the specifications for sound (58dB) might "sound good" <pun intended> the true test of any generator is to actually stand beside one in operation and compare it to what you heard yesterday at "the other big box store"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
(snip)
Which is "really quietest" ??? Hard to tell just from engine brand or design, because the frame design, sound baffling, engine speed control circuits, size of the inverter and many other factors will all affect the perception of noise and how far it travels before it's at an acceptable level. Heck, just the frequency of the noise is a factor in how "irritating" it is to some people while other people (who worked on the flightline around jet engines) can't even hear that frequency range....

So, as much as the specifications for sound (58dB) might "sound good" <pun intended> the true test of any generator is to actually stand beside one in operation and compare it to what you heard yesterday at "the other big box store"....
John that is a very good description. The dBa rating may have nothing to do with ASTM standards. Heck, claims about dBa may not take into consideration whether it is at full load and how far away from the muffler outlet it is. You almost need to do the DW test, but nothing will be quiet enough for her (mine) so good luck! LOL
Old 06-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
John that is a very good description. The dBa rating may have nothing to do with ASTM standards. Heck, claims about dBa may not take into consideration whether it is at full load and how far away from the muffler outlet it is. You almost need to do the DW test, but nothing will be quiet enough for her (mine) so good luck! LOL
Frequency, direction, distance, load, preventative maintenance, previous abuse/misuse, early shutdown (when the windings are hot), direction the exhaust is pointed, operating in the truck bed with the tailgate open (think metal megaphone), humidity, ambient noise.... Just a few of the things that come to mind when trying to determine how loud a generator might be.

Then there's the way the generator box is built and insulated, what materials are used, how "well it's secured inside that box", the proximity of bearings to openings in the box, (ie: good engineering or poor engineering)… And while most of the physical quality can be related to generator price, that alone is not an indicator of what any generator is going to "sound like when you start it up behind the trailer or in the bed of your truck.....

Honestly, I don't have a tremendous amount of "generator time in campgrounds" but I can attest that on some days my generator seems to blend into the background and other days, it's as annoying as hell, as it intrudes on everything we're trying to escape by being as far from everyone as possible... So, among everything else that must be considered, I suppose we'd need to include "attitude, fatigue, alcohol, population of friends that relax us vs friends that make us tense" No doubt, depending on the situation, even the best generator might be a "pain in the neck" on any given evening.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
DW test--- right!

Skids... Florissant Colorado or Missouri? I've been through the CO Florissant on the way to Eleven Mile canyon to get many a fly wet.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:20 AM   #13
Lee

Nanbert: You are following the path I just completed ;-) Needing to run the A/C while Boon-docking, I recently bought and installed a "soft-start" for my A/C,... then I caught a 3100W Inverter/Gen set on sale at HD..... even has remote start!!!!!

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #14
nanbert

thanks everyone....very helpful!
Old 05-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #15
Cometman

I bought an Atima 3000- it wasn't enough to run the AC. I upgraded to a Predator 3500. Everything runs great now, and its cheaper too.
Cometman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #16
majbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometman View Post
I bought an Atima 3000- it wasn't enough to run the AC. I upgraded to a Predator 3500. Everything runs great now, and its cheaper too.
3500 starting watts 3000 running watts? I have a 2013 Keystone Hornet Hideout and have been looking at inverter generators. Someone mentioned the Predator 3500 and said it was quiet. Just wondering if that would be enough generator for my camper? From what you wrote seems like it may be.
majbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
Cometman

I think the 3500 would be fine for your RV.
Cometman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:29 PM   #18
kayakjim

Not every generator is created equal, even though they state the same Watts. I have a Micro Air Easy start that I added to my 15000BTU AC unit. I can run it with one Honda 2200i at 6,000 foot elevation. Sea level I can also run the fridge with the A/C on. I will admit that at 6,000 feet elev. everything is on propane and I have solar hooked to the batteries to minimize the need of charging. I also have a Honda companion I bring to the high elev. trips, so we can run the TV etc. with the AC on.

Good article on generators:
http://www.micro-air.com/knowledgeba...rter-generator
kayakjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #19
JSisemoreTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by majbill View Post
3500 starting watts 3000 running watts? I have a 2013 Keystone Hornet Hideout and have been looking at inverter generators. Someone mentioned the Predator 3500 and said it was quiet. Just wondering if that would be enough generator for my camper? From what you wrote seems like it may be.
Love my predator 3500! It is good to 25 amps and comes with a 30 amp converter. So my trailer is a 50 Amp...I simply use the adapter (50/30) and only run 1 AC of using generator. Predator will run entire unit as long as you don't use 2 ac at same time. You can also buy 2 and run in parallel. Quiet, dependable, raving fan....far cheaper than a Honda. Also, you can see digital Guage on hours of usage, amount of used power in Amps and Watts.
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #20
Bill-2020

Read the service intervals of those Harbor Fright generators... then read the service intervals of the Hondas and do that math. I put my $ on the Honda.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter