Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2020, 04:47 AM   #1
62Musicman

Cabinet Door 27RES

The day after we purchased our 2021Cougar we noticed that the right-side door of the cabinet under the rear window had been sloppily repaired with a LOT of wood putty. The next day we went back to the dealer and they told us that the cabinet door got caught in the slide-out during transit and was torn off the hinges. The dealer told us they noted this on the DAF, but I am extremely upset that they didn't point this out to us. I know we should have inspected more closely, but it was still dishonest on their part. Not surprisingly the door has since came off again (see photo attached).

We are working with a dealer to have Keystone replace the door and the stile. However, I think the panel to the right of the right-hand door was also damaged because it has a couple of screws in it, as well as some plastic trim around it. Maybe this is some sort of access panel but I can't be sure. If anyone has this same configuration and could post a close-up photo of it, I would sure appreciate it.

I am new to the forum and am not certain this is correct place to post this. So please let me know if there is a more appropriate place for posting.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9028 2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	29326  
62Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:57 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

All I can say is that if I found a dealer had tried to cover that up then sell it to me new there would be heck to pay. If you haven't voice your displeasure, and expectations, to the top "guy" at that dealership and don't back down.

If damaged in transit Keystone should repair it. But after the shady way the dealer tried to cover the door damage I wouldn't trust them further than I cold throw them. That panel next to the door hinges looks crooked as well. Have you pulled those screws to see what's what? If not, I would. I suspect they've tried to cover something else up. If they have it, have them remove it with you standing there. Now is the time to go over it with a magnifying glass...personally. I wouldn't trust one word they told me after your experience.

Edit: You might ask them exactly how the cabinet door got hung up in a slide "in transit"? Was the transporter sleeping/cooking in it??
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:29 AM   #3
B-O-B'03

Wow, very shady indeed.

The panel to the right might be an access panel, perhaps to the water heater?

Have to removed it?

-Brian
Old 08-20-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I have no idea where you bought your trailer, so I'm definitely NOT defending anything the dealership might have done. That said, there are probably 8 or 10 people involved in the "reporting process for incoming damage"... First, the delivery driver, then the tech who accepted the trailer from the delivery driver, the warranty processor, the service manager, the sales manager (who put it on the lot for sale without repairs) the salesman, the service tech who did the PDI, the person who walked you through the trailer, the finance person who had access to all the paperwork that he and you went through before signing the loan paperwork and trailer registration.....

The "breakdown in repair/disclosure/warranty" could have "burped at any one of those"....

To suggest that "the dealership must be shady and dishonest" is a far stretch.....

I'd suspect that the dealership manager/owner doesn't have a clue this damage even exists, so to somehow come to the conclusion that "they" (the dealership) is trying to sell a broken trailer without disclosure "INTENTIONALLY" is just (IMHO) a way out there claim.....

What probably happened is that the damage was reported, the warranty manager filed the claim, that claim was "in process" when you bought the trailer. ANY dealership would no hold up a sale because of a loose/broken cabinet door hinge. They would/should have told you about it, said that parts were on order and when they come in, they will give you a call to bring it in for repair.

Had that happened, none of this would be "in far fetched speculating mode"... Chances are that someone simply failed to disclose the damage to you. Was it the finance guy? The person doing your "walkthrough"? was it the tech that you never saw who did the PDI? was it the salesman? was it the service writer when you were introduced to the service team? was it the sales manager who shook your hand when you put down your deposit???

Did one of them "intentionally lie to you or omit the damage"??? Or was it just a simple mistake that should not have been made, but was ?????

I wouldn't "lite your hair on fire" because one of 10 people failed to disclose damage to you... Remember, the other 9 are not even involved.....

Just CALMLY discuss this with someone at the dealership and I'd suspect they will "bend over backwards to help you" probably with some sincere apologies that it even happened.....

But, in the big picture, it's not the end of the world, just a broken cabinet stile that got caught in a slide.... Trust me when I say that if you own travel trailers for any length of time, you'll "catch a cabinet door in a slide" yourself.... Things happen, don't let it destroy your relationship with the dealer or with Keystone. Get it fixed and move on.

ADDED: The panel to the right of the door is an access panel. It's there to give you access to the shore power connection and wiring behind it. It is held in place with two screws, one at the top and one at the bottom of the panel. If it weren't like that, you'd be "tearing the cabinet apart" if you develop any loose connections on the shore power plug. You will probably find other components or connections behind that panel. It's there for a reason and isn't a part of the "damaged door/stile".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I would agree John except for this:

"had been sloppily repaired with a LOT of wood putty."

If damaged and turned in for warranty repairs this would/should not take place IMO because in theory it's going to be repaired properly. I've been in lots of trailers that were damaged but no one was trying to cover it up like that. That to me requires an explanation - particularly since it was never mentioned to the OP.

For the OP, I don't know what a DAF is but I'm assuming it's some sort of deliver inspection form. You might want to do as I do and ask for a copy of the forms they filled out for repairs before it was sold. My dealer uses a pink sheet with various items checkmarked and then explanations of the repairs done. That way I have a reference for places to check that might be the culprit if something goes wrong.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Several years ago, I was watching a "RV show" on a rainy Sunday afternoon. The show was about people buying $500K motorhomes and how the buyers want "something changed or added" before delivery.

One of the incidents in that "RV show" was a lady that didn't like the cabinet door at the end of the kitchen slide. She wanted that door removed "because it was ugly"... The motorhome was scheduled for delivery in a couple of days, so the techs working to "fix that cabinet door" elected to remove the door, install a panel and finish it to match the cabinets.... As they were finishing the job, as they were closing the slide, a toolbox was in the way and, YOU GUESSED IT... They punched a hole in their new panel. With no time to fix it properly before delivery, they "devised a scheme" to install a "pretty medallion" over the hole.... They even pointed it out to the new owner upon delivery and the lady was "overjoyed to no longer have an ugly cabinet door there".....

Imagine their surprise or dismay when, in a few months, they find the damage behind that medallion....

Trust me when I say that if this kind of thing happens on "million dollar motorhomes" it'll happen on $15,000 trailers.....

I'd suspect that the tech doing the PDI "fixed it up as best he could for delivery"... Whether he told the service manager what he did and that person "forgot to relay the message to the sales department" or if they "attempted to cover up the whole mess and screw the customer" ????

I'd suspect it wasn't a conspiracy to steal anything from the new owner, but rather a "miscommunication or lack of communication" on delivery.... Rather it was an attempt to "put lipstick on the pig" until the parts come in to fix it right".

Unlike the motorhome event that was "obviously a coverup".... People just don't usually go around "trying to screw the public" especially if they want to stay in business....

I'd still look for the "best in this situation, not the worst".... (although sometimes the worst can happen, don't go looking for it in every situation)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #7
62Musicman

Thank you for enlightening me! Yes it was actually an access panel. I feel so much better knowing that and I feel I might have overreacted a little. I actually reinstalled the access panel better than it was - it looks straight now. And I was able to reattach the door so I can use it temporarily until Keystone replaces it.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
62Musicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have no idea where you bought your trailer, so I'm definitely NOT defending anything the dealership might have done. That said, there are probably 8 or 10 people involved in the "reporting process for incoming damage"... First, the delivery driver, then the tech who accepted the trailer from the delivery driver, the warranty processor, the service manager, the sales manager (who put it on the lot for sale without repairs) the salesman, the service tech who did the PDI, the person who walked you through the trailer, the finance person who had access to all the paperwork that he and you went through before signing the loan paperwork and trailer registration.....

The "breakdown in repair/disclosure/warranty" could have "burped at any one of those"....

To suggest that "the dealership must be shady and dishonest" is a far stretch.....

The more I've learned (thanks to this forum, the less bad I feel about the dealership - but do wish they would have handled it better.

I'd suspect that the dealership manager/owner doesn't have a clue this damage even exists, so to somehow come to the conclusion that "they" (the dealership) is trying to sell a broken trailer without disclosure "INTENTIONALLY" is just (IMHO) a way out there claim.....

What probably happened is that the damage was reported, the warranty manager filed the claim, that claim was "in process" when you bought the trailer. ANY dealership would no hold up a sale because of a loose/broken cabinet door hinge. They would/should have told you about it, said that parts were on order and when they come in, they will give you a call to bring it in for repair.

They did know about it because it was reported on the DAF (Dealer Acceptance Form). The problem is a) they didn't report it to us and b) they only told us about it because we noticed and asked about it. I did get the impression that the warranty processor didn't pass the information along to sales. Okay - I suppose. Just wished it would have been handled differently. I'm sure if I could/would bring it to them they would take care of it. But I can't because it's too far of a drive. My decision to buy out of town - so I have to deal with the consequences.

Had that happened, none of this would be "in far fetched speculating mode"... Chances are that someone simply failed to disclose the damage to you. Was it the finance guy? The person doing your "walkthrough"? was it the tech that you never saw who did the PDI? was it the salesman? was it the service writer when you were introduced to the service team? was it the sales manager who shook your hand when you put down your deposit???

Did one of them "intentionally lie to you or omit the damage"??? Or was it just a simple mistake that should not have been made, but was ?????

I may never now

I wouldn't "lite your hair on fire" because one of 10 people failed to disclose damage to you... Remember, the other 9 are not even involved.....

Just CALMLY discuss this with someone at the dealership and I'd suspect they will "bend over backwards to help you" probably with some sincere apologies that it even happened.....

Wish I could but I have to bother my local dealer with it now.

But, in the big picture, it's not the end of the world, just a broken cabinet stile that got caught in a slide.... Trust me when I say that if you own travel trailers for any length of time, you'll "catch a cabinet door in a slide" yourself.... Things happen, don't let it destroy your relationship with the dealer or with Keystone. Get it fixed and move on.

That's kind of where I'm at - your posting and others has really helped me calm down and I really appreciate it because I am still really excited to own this nice trailer!

ADDED: The panel to the right of the door is an access panel. It's there to give you access to the shore power connection and wiring behind it. It is held in place with two screws, one at the top and one at the bottom of the panel. If it weren't like that, you'd be "tearing the cabinet apart" if you develop any loose connections on the shore power plug. You will probably find other components or connections behind that panel. It's there for a reason and isn't a part of the "damaged door/stile".....
Yes, it was an access panel, that made me very happy because I was so afraid that was something I missed and would have to add to the request. And actually when I reinstalled the panel I was able to install it straight and it looks better than it did!

Thank you for all of your helpful comments. I'm a much happier camper now.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

DAF
Dealer
Acceptance
Form

When a unit arrives, an employee of the dealership inspects it for any damage, missing parts and keys. Some have better “eyes” than others. Any discrepancies are noted on the DAF, that document is signed by the transportation driver and the employee that did the check in. A copy is sent to the factory And any claims for repair have to be submitted within time limits.

Depending on what the issues are, the factory may take some time sending replacement parts. If the dealership “did what they could” to get it delivered, and said they were dealing with the factory, I would at least give them time to make good on it. BTDT a few times. I don’t know if they would, but I would be asking for a look at the DAF to verify it’s a delivery issue and not a dealership “oops”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote