Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
jaxglide

35’ limits at state &national parks

I keep hear about the size limit. Do these parks actually measure ? Is 2feet over really an issue ?
jaxglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
Javi

It isn't because they hate long trailers, it's because anything longer won't fit.
In fact many times the roads are too tight for more.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
Gegrad

Never heard anything about that at State parks... often times the max site length is 30-35', so tough to park a trailer and TV in that distance.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
Javi

https://www.us-parks.com/tips/rv-and-trailer-length.html#:~:text=Maximum%20lengths%20for%20trai lers%2C%20campers,to%2040%20feet%20in%20length.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Never heard anything about that at State parks... often times the max site length is 30-35', so tough to park a trailer and TV in that distance.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
Fishsizzle

I can’t see where that link is headed? I’ve been curious too as we are trying to go a little smaller (32-34) just for NP as I’ve heard the same

Oregon State parks are pretty good at listing park space lengths with a picture.

Just had the Alpine at the Coast, all 39’ of it

Now National Forest campgrounds, forget about it. At least here in or, small is better. And then go smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35B99A3C-97F1-4C4A-8EEF-CED296B15A25.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	30948  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I can’t see where that link is headed? I’ve been curious too as we are trying to go a little smaller (32-34) just for NP as I’ve heard the same

Oregon State parks are pretty good at listing park space lengths with a picture.

Just had the Alpine at the Coast, all 39’ of it

Now National Forest campgrounds, forget about it. At least here in or, small is better. And then go smaller.
Just Google is there a maximum trailer length for national parks
Old 11-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #7
roadglide

My impact is 35 it takes a little more effort and driving skills to get into national parks. The sites are there they need to be reserved early. I use COE parks are basically the same price as national parks but a lot more room and easier to get around all the COE parks I have used are near big lakes. Toy haulers are heavy and tough mine requires a lot of maintenance. I suppose that’s because the heavy loads being advertise. I always take it places probably shouldn’t.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxglide View Post
I keep hear about the size limit. Do these parks actually measure ? Is 2feet over really an issue ?

A lot of the national park campgrounds are pretty old, trailers were short when they were built. You have to be able to get your tow vehicle completely into your space. For the most part if you can make it fit they don't care how long it actually is.

The longer spaces are usually booked a year out in the national parks. So if you need one of the few 30'+ spaces in Madison campground in Yellowstone its too late for 2021.

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:47 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
National Parks are older and have smaller sites, call and check.
In Oregon it also depends on the park, we host at one that max is 40', and that is a squeeze, water and 30 amp only. Currently at a newer park opened in 2007, all sites 50'+, full hookup and 50 amp service.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:50 AM   #10
Northofu1

https://www.us-parks.com/tips/rv-and...er-length.html

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:46 AM   #11
RCW

We prefer to stay in state and national parks. I don't know of one that has a hard limit on length. But we have found that the longer the RV, the more limited your choices and availability will be. 30ft seems to be the real tipping point. This was one of the reasons we moved to a shorter RV this year.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:36 AM   #12
jaxglide

Thanks for the feedback. I am I the process of shopping for an rv and wanted to make sure I consider everything to make the best choice possible. Seems like I should just go big and find a campground close to these parks.
jaxglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #13
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
………….. Currently at a newer park opened in 2007, all sites 50'+, full hookup and 50 amp service.
What park is this?
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #14
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
……………………………..

Just had the Alpine at the Coast, all 39’ of it ……………..
where did you go?
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I am I the process of shopping for an rv and wanted to make sure I consider everything to make the best choice possible. Seems like I should just go big and find a campground close to these parks.
"Going big" requires much more than finding a campground near where you want to travel. You'll find that getting into refueling locations, parking for lunch, maneuvering on the highway or even in rest areas is much more difficult with a "big one". Then there's the expense of storing a large RV, the upkeep (it takes twice as long to wash/wax a trailer 40' long vs one 20' long) not to mention jacking it to rotate tires or to repack wheel bearings.

Then there's that "pesky topic" of having an adequate tow vehicle. You're not going to find a 35' travel trailer that's going to fit well behind a half ton or an SUV and you're not going to find a 35' fifth wheel that doesn't overwhelm a 3/4 ton diesel.

When you add children to the passenger list, a larger trailer seems "a better fit for rainy days" but you've also got to consider the purpose of the RV and the trip. If the majority of the "travel and camping" will be inside the RV sitting with a computer or tablet on their lap, larger spaces (so parents can crawl over or get around the kids) might be necessary. On the other hand, if "travel and camping" are a means to get the children to exciting locations so they can spend every waking minute outside, hiking, exploring, learning, then the trailer becomes "not an extension of home" but rather, a place to crash and eat before the next adventure starts.

So, "just going big" is not only about finding large campsites. It's also about having to deal with that big box behind a big truck for the entire trip as well as paying for it while it's sitting in storage...... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #16
ewbldavis

It largely depends on the park. A full-time youtuber I follow has a 28ft. Airstream and did a video on this. Seems if you are under the 30ft. mark (overall trailer length w/ hitch), you can generally fit in ANY national park.

We've driven thru a few NP campgrounds and we were looking at booking a trip to Grand Canyon. I must agree - depending on where you are going, your selections may be limited if over the 30ft mark. Obviously there are exceptions, but access, maneuverability, and site lengths are what limits it - so you really can't be over by a couple of feet. Better to be UNDER - I always put 37ft as our length (we're only 36ft) just to be sure.

Jon brings up a good point too - you have to get gas and drag the thing around, plus store it or park it when at home - so "go big or go home" is a terrible philosophy when shopping for an RV. I really wanted shorter, but the outdoor kitchen was a must and we loved this layout.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #17
jsb5717

We have yet to travel extensively but have found no problems at all finding parks in Oregon and Washington that can handle 35'. We also see many rigs much larger than ours in the same parks. There are some parks that don't have any sites large enough and many parks where not all sites are large enough. But Fishsizzle is right, Oregon SP's are good about listing site length so planning ahead is fairly easy. We like state parks and county parks. Have also had good luck in many private parks. I think the bigger issue these days isn't so much about finding larger sites but finding sites available with the increase in RVers.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #18
travelin texans

Regardless of length many of the state parks we checked in across the country stated that they had "big rig" sites & I'll have agree they did, but due to narrow roads, low tree limbs &/or giant boulders lining the roadway you couldn't get a big rig to those sites.
We were full-timers with a big rig & found it much easier to stay at a park with more room, usually with better facilities, close by than to take their word about their "big rig" sites. Their idea of "big" & our "big" weren't the same.
We reserved a "big" site, we pulled up to check in & the 1st words out of the guys mouth was "geez that's a big'un, I think we have 1 site it might fit in!", fortunately we did fit without much issue.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
What park is this?
LL Stub Stewart located about 25 miles west of Portland north of Hwy 26, on Hwy 47 towards Vernonia.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Regardless of length many of the state parks we checked in across the country stated that they had "big rig" sites & I'll have agree they did, but due to narrow roads, low tree limbs &/or giant boulders lining the roadway you couldn't get a big rig to those sites.
We were full-timers with a big rig & found it much easier to stay at a park with more room, usually with better facilities, close by than to take their word about their "big rig" sites. Their idea of "big" & our "big" weren't the same.
We reserved a "big" site, we pulled up to check in & the 1st words out of the guys mouth was "geez that's a big'un, I think we have 1 site it might fit in!", fortunately we did fit without much issue.
Our last rig wasn't all that big at 38 feet but even then we often had trouble in Texas State Parks where a 40 foot site meant exactly that 40 feet of site.

The other side of that coin is the width of the site, many were laid out before slides and 100 inch wide trailers.

I now call ahead and ask/tell them not only the length of the entire rig including the dually but also the height and width with the slides out.

My rig with the 35 foot 5th wheel requires a minimum of 55 feet length and 16 feet width from ground to sky.