Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
BeagleMan

Ok, I need english or laymans terms here.

Inquired about whether AL sees a F-450 as commercial or not.

Information
Code Section: 40-12-248
Primary Tag Type(s): TK
Secondary Tag Type(s): X1 through X9
Series Began: October 2018
All residents of Alabama who are owners of the following may purchase license plates in this category:

trucks with a declared gross vehicle weight exceeding 12,000 pounds
motor homes which a declared gross vehicle weight exceeding 42,000 pounds
The plates may not be personalized.

Plates in this category are not transferable between vehicle owners.

This plate may be displayed upon the following types of vehicles:

trucks with a declared GVW exceeding 12,000 pounds
motor homes with GVWs exceeding 42,000 pounds
Tow trucks are registered based on the GVW of the tow truck only, without regard to the GVW of any motor vehicle towed.

The license plate design changes every five (5) years.

Fees
Registration fees are distributed in accordance with the provisions of Sections 40-12-269 and 40-12-270.

Registration fees associated with the purchase of this license plate range from $170.00 to $890.00 depending on the declared gross vehicle weight (GVW) of the vehicle being registered. License plate designations are X1-X9. See Code Section 40-12-248 for a breakdown of the weight categories and corresponding registration fees.
Additional fees: N/A

What am i looking at here? IS the 350 considered commercial too?
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Inquired about whether AL sees a F-450 as comAdditional fees: N/A

What am i looking at here? IS the 350 considered commercial too?
I'll answer part. A 350/3500 tags just like a "regular" vehicle. My Ram 3500 just a regular tag but does have disabled veteran just like my Miata. Never wanted the 450/4500++ so not sure. My motorhome tag was based on weight so I used the lightest UVW I could find at the county. When I traded up from a gas to a DP I transferred the plates with the same weight rating. Right?? probably not but I did it. No one asked or checked. I think you are over thinking this. If you choose a 450 it will be a personal vehicle not a commercial vehicle unless you plan to to use for hire.

Suggestion why not look at the Ram 3500 DRW with the HO Cummins. FCA continued to make them when the other two shut down apparently. All the big 3 make great trucks.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
bsmith0404

That’s a question for the DMV and depending on who you talk to, you may get a different answer there. When I read through what you wrote I see the word “may” purchase plates in this category, not must. I suspect there’s more in the book than what you’re referencing right now. Most states will have something referencing GCVWR in excess of 26,000 lbs as well. You will be in that category also.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I'll answer part. A 350/3500 tags just like a "regular" vehicle. My Ram 3500 just a regular tag but does have disabled veteran just like my Miata. Never wanted the 450/4500++ so not sure. My motorhome tag was based on weight so I used the lightest UVW I could find at the county. When I traded up from a gas to a DP I transferred the plates with the same weight rating. Right?? probably not but I did it. No one asked or checked. I think you are over thinking this. If you choose a 450 it will be a personal vehicle not a commercial vehicle unless you plan to to use for hire.

Suggestion why not look at the Ram 3500 DRW with the HO Cummins. FCA continued to make them when the other two shut down apparently. All the big 3 make great trucks.
Cool! Thanks. Perhaps I am overthinking this, I know I have time to decide, I just cannot seriously make up my mind now. Theres only $2500 price difference in the 350 and 450 in the Lariat pkg. But, I am leaning towards the 350. But, what is FCA?? Something to do with Ford, I'm sure. But, I will go and build a RAM and see where it stands. Have not done that in a while. Let you know. What Trim you like?

AC
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
Javi

Texas says pretty much the same thing just less words

Trucks registered for more than 12,000 GVWR are considered trucks and not passenger cars. So they're registered for a fee based on GVWR instead of a flat fee.
Dealerships here in Texas are very bad about registering pickup trucks as passenger cars because of the increased cost.

Several people including me and others on this forum have had to preregister and pay the difference to be legal when towing our trailers.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
That’s a question for the DMV and depending on who you talk to, you may get a different answer there. When I read through what you wrote I see the word “may” purchase plates in this category, not must. I suspect there’s more in the book than what you’re referencing right now. Most states will have something referencing GCVWR in excess of 26,000 lbs as well. You will be in that category also.
I thought the same thing when I read that. It kind of incomplete to me. But, thats Gov't for you. I'll do some more inquiries tomorrow when I talk to my insurance gal.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
chunker

Quote:
Cool! Thanks. Perhaps I am overthinking this, I know I have time to decide, I just cannot seriously make up my mind now. Theres only $2500 price difference in the 350 and 450 in the Lariat pkg. But, I am leaning towards the 350. But, what is FCA?? Something to do with Ford, I'm sure. But, I will go and build a RAM and see where it stands. Have not done that in a while. Let you know. What Trim you like?

AC
FCA, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. The corporate head for Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ram, plus a bunch of others.

After you do the build and price, go to the inventory search and specify the options/packages you want or need. Based on the ZIP you put in you can search for inventory out to 250 miles for exact or close matches. Don't get crazy with too may specifics such as color or interior level packages. I searched "requirements" for me and left some stuff such as Laramie level 1 or 2 not selected. Google, or you favorite search engine, Ram "build and price" to get started. I did the same with GM and Ford but very little inventory of what I wanted and I'm not driving to Oregon or California to look at a truck. Tomorrow I'm buying the fruit of my searches. I searched Laramie which is comparable to the Lariat.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #8
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
FCA, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. The corporate head for Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ram, plus a bunch of others.

After you do the build and price, go to the inventory search and specify the options/packages you want or need. Based on the ZIP you put in you can search for inventory out to 250 miles for exact or close matches. Don't get crazy with too may specifics such as color or interior level packages. I searched "requirements" for me and left some stuff such as Laramie level 1 or 2 not selected. Google, or you favorite search engine, Ram "build and price" to get started. I did the same with GM and Ford but very little inventory of what I wanted and I'm not driving to Oregon or California to look at a truck. Tomorrow I'm buying the fruit of my searches. I searched Laramie which is comparable to the Lariat.
Well, I did that with the Laramie. With the similar options of the 350/450, I am at $77,290

With the 350, I am at $73,800
450 at $76,400

Getting to be a no brainer here. I'm leaning to the 450.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
chunker

Quote:
Well, I did that with the Laramie. With the similar options of the 350/450, I am at $77,290

450 at $76,400

Last week went to a Ford dealer to see what a 2021 350 Lariat would run and there wasn't a hill of beans to $$$ difference. It can get confusing when comparing packages because equipment standard with one build is optional on another. Last spring I bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie that has as standard equipment things Ford wanted extra $$$ for in a 150 Lariat. That and the ride is better in the Ram. The 1500 is my "car".

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever make and model you get.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:02 AM   #10
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Texas says pretty much the same thing just less words

Trucks registered for more than 12,000 GVWR are considered trucks and not passenger cars. So they're registered for a fee based on GVWR instead of a flat fee.
Dealerships here in Texas are very bad about registering pickup trucks as passenger cars because of the increased cost.

Several people including me and others on this forum have had to preregister and pay the difference to be legal when towing our trailers.
My small town dealer said he was doing me a favor...truck weighed 8,000 and it was a 1 ton so they registered it for 10,000GVW. I re-registered it at my county clerks office. I think they charged me $1 fee. The next years registration went from $70 to $140 I think. Probably would never made any difference if I was just hauling hay or cattle to auction. But in a wreck in Illinois....
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:10 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

BeagleMan I'm just being curious. You have asked a lot of questions, posted a lot of follow up questions, and have spoken in very vague terms when it comes to a timeline for this purchase. It's great to "plan ahead" but if your future purchase is a say a year or so off into the future than just how valid will all of this information be?

If you're just "window shopping" or even just "dreaming" about what your "ideal rig" might be that's fine. If you are serious about this major purchase of big new truck and big new trailer then there are a lot of variables that can seriously effect that proposition a year or more from now. Just saying, it would be a shame to go thru all this brain strain just to do it all over again when you are ready to "pull the trigger" because the equation has radically changed.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:16 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:

450 at $76,400

Take a look at this.. and they will deal.. https://www.covertfordhutto.com/new-...8W3DT2LEE76331
Old 10-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #13
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Take a look at this.. and they will deal.. https://www.covertfordhutto.com/new-...8W3DT2LEE76331
Thank you, Javi. I'm looking at it now. Very nice!
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #14
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
BeagleMan I'm just being curious. You have asked a lot of questions, posted a lot of follow up questions, and have spoken in very vague terms when it comes to a timeline for this purchase. It's great to "plan ahead" but if your future purchase is a say a year or so off into the future than just how valid will all of this information be?

If you're just "window shopping" or even just "dreaming" about what your "ideal rig" might be that's fine. If you are serious about this major purchase of big new truck and big new trailer then there are a lot of variables that can seriously effect that proposition a year or more from now. Just saying, it would be a shame to go thru all this brain strain just to do it all over again when you are ready to "pull the trigger" because the equation has radically changed.
I understand your concern and curiosity. I am just a type of person where if I am new to something, and it is something I want to do, I will barrage peoples brain pans for information. I just have to know way ahead of time before dutifully charging into it headfirst.
I have been doing this for a long time. I am very familiar with these types of Forums. I did the same thing before buying my first bass boat, before I cast my first $150-$200 rod and $200 reel. I zoomed questions to people who are already in the know. When I watched a fishing show, I didn't care 2 wits if the host catches fish, that's his job, I watched his hands, how he manipulated the rod/bait, how many times he turn the reel, what was the gear ratio of said reel. When boat shopping, I did not care how fast it was, I cared about how stable it was. How much does it weigh? Is the boat weight in sync with the weight of the motor, so that the motor runs efficiently?
When I fished tournaments on a national level as a Co-Boater, I cared less to catch fish, I mean, I did a little bit, but, the main thing was to watch and observe the Pro and how he carried out his day, his routine, he strategies, et al. So, I am just the type that likes all of his ducks in a row before diving in.

And I know your concern as a Mod here, I used to be one on a Bass Forum for years, and even owned my own Fishing Forum for 6 years, so I know the concern of a new member coming in, deluging the membership with questions and vague remarks and it does make you curious and suspicious even. I get that, but there is no ill will here. I plan on being a more productive and active member here as much as I can. No harm done here or taking any kind of offenses....

With that said, I am pleased to announced that we just signed the papers on a 2021 Montana 3763BP at 10:15am. today. Pics will be up when I get back to the campsite. Now, we need to do is to work towards the purchase of our new TV. We are in the process of getting together the added options we want, i.e. Generator, they will have to order one as they are out of stock right now. We are getting the Protective paint overlay done, probably a clear coat application. Figuring out the Winegard for good internet reception, a second 1000 watt Inverter, Dog Protector screen, and a few other knick knacks.

DW is very happy and we told the Ex we are reneging on the House purchase and changing our minds. DW and I have come to the conclusion...We like where we are, the cities we are close by, love the area, being close to water, the Tennessee River, 2 lakes 5 miles away, the campsite is awesome here and we just looked at the cost/benefit analysis of owning the house now, in our mid-50s, and decided it is not worth the hassle of trying to spruce the place up with thousands of our own dollars and gamble that we MIGHT get that return back, THEN start living this RV life. We decided that we want the RV life now. We have the means, the resources, and we can live in a nice 5th wheel and do just fine. She just got on with Publix working in Pharmacy, she is Med Tech certified nationally, and I have already got remote work going. so we are already on our way to procuring the truck we will need. We will be stationary for a few months but we are not worried, we made our decision, we are good with it and our minds are clear......well, maybe not. But, we are happy with our decisions and its time to live this life as full as possible. BUT, I do appreciate your concern. I understand.
Roll Tide Roll