Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 AM   #21
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
I didnt do the side wall as well, I thought it was too close also. The back side they are fine and they dont even really feel warm when cooking.
Thanks, Greg. You've been very helpful
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #22
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
I

Regarding the Smart Tiles, this too was something I was excited about. However, I received them today and found a warning that makes me wonder if I can use them behind the stove. While the Smart Tiles website states the following:

Q : Can they be installed behind the range or stove ?
A : You can use them behind the range without any worries. The Smart Tiles are resistant to heat as well as cooking splashes.

it follows this answer with:

For gas ranges without a back control panel or metal lid, keep a safety zone of 15 inches (vertically) on the back wall to prevent any direct exposure to an open flame (see illustration A & B). We recommend the use of a stainless steel panel to fill that area.

15" is the height from the counter to the bottom of the vent hood - the entire wall behind the stove

How are your tiles doing? Have you had any problems with the flame issue? I really don't want to try these if there is any chance of a problem and I don't want to have to worry about them when I am cooking. They were too expensive.
I'm a little concerned about the heat- but it not like the existing wall paper is fire retardant. Next time I'm doing major cooking I'm going to take some wall temps.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #23
suza

dave-g: I have the same thoughts on the wall covering. Our stove sits just inches from the side of the fridge which is faced with woodgrain paneling. Building codes would not permit this type of installation Perhaps the paneling is treated for flame resistance? The left rear burner is less than 6" from this wall. This might be the reason for the high-BTU burner being in the front, furthest from the walls.

While I was cooking this weekend, I put my hand on the side wall (not too scientific) and it was warm, but not hot. I'm sure there must be some fire safety standard here, no doubt the bare minimum. The rear wall is a bit further from the stove, but there are two burners to heat it up.

I think the issue with the Smart Tiles has more to do with their susceptibility to damage from open flame. And, the S T manufacturer may have a stricter precautionary limit than in RVs.

Precautionary measures I take when using the stovetop:

Cook at the lowest flame possible for the job
Rarely leave stove unattended while the burners are on; never if cooking at high settings
Always open nearby windows (more for ventilation, but this also keeps the area cooler)
Turn on the ventilator fan

Please let us know the findings of your "wall temp test" and thanks for your input.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote