Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
hoffbrew

Grand Canyon

Well... we are doing it!! We are taking the kids to the Grand Canyon! We made resi's at Rail Side Camp Grounds in Willams AZ. KOA was full and we have 3 other families (4 trailers all together). I havent been there since I was a toddler, so any insight to pass along would be great!
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
hoffbrew

If anyone from California has made this trip, please let me know best routes. I am going to Barns Nobles today to pick up the Mountain West Directory for some route ideas.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
dave-g

I stayed in the park- you may want to look at that. Not a fancy rv park but had full hook ups and $28 per night. But it has trolley service. This was great as it became easy for the family to split up and leave the rv in the site.

One of my favorite memories, is my 16 year old son going for a sun rise jog- at the rim of the canyon, while my wife and other kids sleep.

One of my top vacations of my life! enjoy.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffbrew View Post
If anyone from California has made this trip, please let me know best routes. I am going to Barns Nobles today to pick up the Mountain West Directory for some route ideas.
Been years since we were at the Grand Canyon. The only way I see to go is up over Tehachipi, 58E to Barstow and then I40E. Last time we went to Barstow, they were widening the road with the expected congestion and delays. Then on through Kingman. Good luck and safe travels

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
geo

Hoffbrew -

With the kids, you probably could not have picked a better campground. The Grand Canyon Railway is just right there. The steam whistle will give you a 5:30am wakeup call. Be sure to get your tickets well in advance before arrival - you WILL want to ride the train. Otherwise, you will be driving in and parking to take the shuttle around South Rim. The new Science and Resource Management Building was just dedicated on January 15. Hmm, I'll cut this short and just say, visit the NPS website: http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm and explore everything.

A couple more items though: There is a Chase Bank at South Rim next to the grocery store. Across the road from the bank and store, just a short walk back into the woods, is a cemetery. If you live at Grand Canyon, when you pass you can be buried at this cemetery. Look for the grave of John Hance. This crusty early explorer, miner, and resident of Grand Canyon actually "started" Grand Canyon tourism and mule rides. Hance was given to "tall tales". To explain the Canyon, he told visitors that he dug it himself with his shovel and pick, and see those mountains south of the Canyon, that's where he piled up the dirt! If you want to do the mule ride, get your reservations in now! (Links to Xanterra's services on the NPS website.)

Be sure to take some time to visit other areas around Williams and the Canyon. Take in Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument and Wupatki National Monument northeast of Flagstaff. http://www.nps.gov/sucr/index.htm This volcano erupted some 900 years ago, and one lava flow engulfed a Mogollon pueblo. If you get to a clearing while climbing Sunset and look west, you can see San Francisco Mountain - and if you look towards Humphreys Peak, you will realize that this volcano had the same type of eruption as Mount St. Helens, only this eruption happened some where around 100,000 to 400,000 years ago.

There is also a great presentation about the Fred Harvey Company and the Harvey Girls at South Rim. Be sure to take that in! And take some time to drive out to Desert View Tower! The view of the eastern part of the canyon is quite impressive from the top of the Tower.

Send me a PM if you would like more. As you can tell, I'm quite fond of the Canyon and this part of Arizona. Kinda goes with geology . . . And if you do enjoy yourself, consider joining the Grand Canyon Association which helps fund the projects at the Grand Canyon!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
hoffbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Hoffbrew -

With the kids, you probably could not have picked a better campground. The Grand Canyon Railway is just right there. The steam whistle will give you a 5:30am wakeup call. Be sure to get your tickets well in advance before arrival - you WILL want to ride the train. Otherwise, you will be driving in and parking to take the shuttle around South Rim. The new Science and Resource Management Building was just dedicated on January 15. Hmm, I'll cut this short and just say, visit the NPS website: http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm and explore everything.

A couple more items though: There is a Chase Bank at South Rim next to the grocery store. Across the road from the bank and store, just a short walk back into the woods, is a cemetery. If you live at Grand Canyon, when you pass you can be buried at this cemetery. Look for the grave of John Hance. This crusty early explorer, miner, and resident of Grand Canyon actually "started" Grand Canyon tourism and mule rides. Hance was given to "tall tales". To explain the Canyon, he told visitors that he dug it himself with his shovel and pick, and see those mountains south of the Canyon, that's where he piled up the dirt! If you want to do the mule ride, get your reservations in now! (Links to Xanterra's services on the NPS website.)

Be sure to take some time to visit other areas around Williams and the Canyon. Take in Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument and Wupatki National Monument northeast of Flagstaff. http://www.nps.gov/sucr/index.htm This volcano erupted some 900 years ago, and one lava flow engulfed a Mogollon pueblo. If you get to a clearing while climbing Sunset and look west, you can see San Francisco Mountain - and if you look towards Humphreys Peak, you will realize that this volcano had the same type of eruption as Mount St. Helens, only this eruption happened some where around 100,000 to 400,000 years ago.

There is also a great presentation about the Fred Harvey Company and the Harvey Girls at South Rim. Be sure to take that in! And take some time to drive out to Desert View Tower! The view of the eastern part of the canyon is quite impressive from the top of the Tower.

Send me a PM if you would like more. As you can tell, I'm quite fond of the Canyon and this part of Arizona. Kinda goes with geology . . . And if you do enjoy yourself, consider joining the Grand Canyon Association which helps fund the projects at the Grand Canyon!

Ron
Wow!! Thank you soo much for all your info. I am going to check out your links now.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
hoffbrew

What a awesome trip we had!! Duramax did fantastic, zero complaints. 1 tire blow out (brothers trailer) 45 miles into our trip. Spent first night at CW parking lot in Bakersfield for new tires. Stopped in Barstow for a stretch and noticed a bulge in one of my tires so put on spare. Arrived in Williams, AZ and noticed 2 more tires had same bulge so replaced all 7 tires, these tires were 4 year old Carlisles to the date. Hercules tires were recommended by tire shop. 1 propane tank valve was leaking after fill up.

Train ride to Grand Canyon was great!! Rail Side RV Ranch was perfect and the friendliest people ever at any RV park I have stayed. Go Alices!! lol I will post some pics in album as soon as my DW loads pics.

This was our first "long" trip and it was a great experience. Cant wait for the next!
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
dave-g

I'm jealous. Glad you had a good time.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #9
fla-gypsy

Sounds like an awesome trip. let us know when the pics are uploaded. Us easterners consider that a bucket list trip.