Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
mapleman3

Converter not working?

So we slept in the new trailer last night....I sit here in it now warming up after having to put a battery charger on the house battery to get the furnace going. The tt is plugged in to a 20 amp circuit and there is power in here....at the outlets....but the battery drained down .we ran lights last night and the radio and the furnace. Why wouldn't the converter run all that and not use the battery? When everything was off it was very slowly charging....I didn't check the voltage on the battery but only had one light on the system check. Shouldn't that show all four

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
f6bits

While plugged in:

1) Disconnect your battery
2) Measure voltage on battery
3) Measure voltage on disconnected cables to the battery (you should see some voltage coming from the converter)
4) Turn on a light or two to see if your converter is powering your 12V accessories

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Hunter757

I would start by checking the breaker inside the trailer? We picked ours up from the dealership and they had turned it off, not really sure why and we had 12V lights till the battery went dead.

If by chance you have disconnected the battery did you cross the terminals and blow the fuses?

Hope its something simple let us know what you find.

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
ktmracer

In most cases they wire the converter to the same breaker as all the non GFI outlets. Check and make sure the breaker is turned on. Second, with the batteries drawn down, IF the converter REALLY goes into boost mode (seldom does with the WFCO unit, but that's another story), you will draw about 12A on a 15A breaker, so you do risk popping the breaker when a portable heater or something else is plugged in.

And finally, the WFCO is not known for outstanding reliability. It may be toast, in which case a PD drop in replacement is a very good choice. You'll then have a real 3 stage charger that actually will go into boost mode when it should.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
mapleman3

All things point towards the converter being shot already...I checked the output to the battery with the battery disconected and nothing.....I also checked the voltage at the converter....120v in nothing out on the 12v side

I'm sure they will replace with the same unit. I called them and they told me to look at pretty much what I already looked at....so looks like a trip to the dealer for repair.....crap!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleman3 View Post
All things point towards the converter being shot already...I checked the output to the battery with the battery disconected and nothing.....I also checked the voltage at the converter....120v in nothing out on the 12v side

I'm sure they will replace with the same unit. I called them and they told me to look at pretty much what I already looked at....so looks like a trip to the dealer for repair.....crap!

These guys have the best selection of drop-in replacements on the net. If you're up for a straight-forward DIY, this is the place to find one that will really meet your needs.

http://www.bestconverter.com

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with these folks, but a close friend of mine has purchased from them several times with great results. YMMV)

They also have a lot of information and how-to available just for the reading.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
mapleman3

If it wasn't brand new and wanting the dealer to make good on what they sold me I would get one...maybe in the future though

Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
mapleman3

Dealer is replacing the converter today....maybe we will get it back tonight.
I think I will plan an away camping weekend so we can play with it more...we should be safe to dewinterize it soon and try out all the plumbing!