Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2022, 07:07 AM   #1
tech740

Wheel seals

Need to do a brake inspection on my trailer. I am not removing the inner bearing as it was just repacked this spring but I think I have a brake issue inside a drum. My question is should I replace the seal because I am removing it from the spindle or can I just put the hub back on and follow the normal steps for setting the castle nut?

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:41 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Should be able to put it back on as long as it doesn’t rip when you remove it. I’ve seen several seals get damaged when removing from the spindle. Wasn’t a big deal to replace them when they were $3 each, now the prices are getting up there. Just curious what brake issues you’re having. Have you properly adjusted the brakes? That might fix your problem without having to tear it all apart.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:01 AM   #3
tech740

I am planning to try adjusting first. They seem to have gotten weak while on the last trip. I decided to order a 4 pack of double lip seals so I will have them if needed. I just want to have everything I may need within reason before taking it all apart. Hoping its just an adjustment but they are supposed to be self adjusting.

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 07-24-2022, 08:51 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Mine were weak at the end of last season. I paid to have them inspected, repacked, and new seals at an independent shop. Stayed there the whole time with the tech while he did the work. First thing he did was jack up one wheel at a time, energized the brake, then rotated the tire before he touched it and after he put it back together. Found the rear axle was not energizing due to break in the wire.

You might want to jack one wheel of the ground at a time and test it or pull the pin on the ebrake and pull forward while someone else watches. Do this on a gravel surface if you can. If one wheel, or one axle rotates freely then you've isolated your problem.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #5
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Mine were weak at the end of last season. I paid to have them inspected, repacked, and new seals at an independent shop. Stayed there the whole time with the tech while he did the work. First thing he did was jack up one wheel at a time, energized the brake, then rotated the tire before he touched it and after he put it back together. Found the rear axle was not energizing due to break in the wire.

You might want to jack one wheel of the ground at a time and test it or pull the pin on the ebrake and pull forward while someone else watches. Do this on a gravel surface if you can. If one wheel, or one axle rotates freely then you've isolated your problem.
I am planning to start that way by raising one tire and pulling the pin. Try that on each tire and then hopefully have one that spins easier than the others. If possible I am trying to not have to move the trailer. It is a pain to back in a 43' trailer in a subdivision.

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK