Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2022, 09:23 AM   #41
bgrhrdt

You should be OK with watching what you run at the same time, particularly one AC unit and/or microwave.

Plug your power cord in the back of the trailer, then use the dogbone to connect from 50A to 30A to the generator.

I think you'll be fine. But you'll definitely have to get that slide in before you go to the shop.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:42 AM   #42
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsgirl View Post
Do you have an affordable recommendation for a generator for this size RV? I found this on Amazon for $600 but completely in the dark as to whether it is sufficient, good price? WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off and Electric Start https://a.co/g16bPnP
I have a larger Wen inverter generator: https://wenproducts.com/collections/...carb-compliant

It does have an RV 30A plug. If are thinking about a Wen product, I suggest you buy directly from their website as they have better prices than anywhere else selling their products and free shipping (pretty quick too). I got a wheel kit with my generator and a full tool kit and oil filler funnel with hose to make filling with oil easier. My Wen has proves much easier to start than the Champion Dual Fuel I owned previously. The Wen is a recoil pull start and the Champion an electric start but you had to keep the battery charged and it was a pain to keep it on a float charger all the time. Keep an eye on weights as the bigger the heavier. See all Wen generators at wenproducts.com
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #43
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrhrdt View Post
You should be OK with watching what you run at the same time, particularly one AC unit and/or microwave.

Plug your power cord in the back of the trailer, then use the dogbone to connect from 50A to 30A to the generator.

I think you'll be fine. But you'll definitely have to get that slide in before you go to the shop.
For real?? So I need the mobile guy anyway?? Oy vey.
bearsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:02 AM   #44
jasin1

Quote:
For real?? So I need the mobile guy anyway?? Oy vey.
does the slide make any noise at all when you try to operate it?
Old 07-14-2022, 10:13 AM   #45
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
does the slide make any noise at all when you try to operate it?
No. No sound. No movement.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #46
jasin1

Quote:
No. No sound. No movement.
it sounds like you have a blown fuse or inline circuit breaker for the motor tripped…chuckster57 may be able to walk you thru it …might be beyond what your comfortable working on but possibly the slide got misaligned and binded up blowing the fuse
Old 07-14-2022, 10:24 AM   #47
bearsgirl

Quote:
it sounds like you have a blown fuse or inline circuit breaker for the motor tripped…chuckster57 may be able to walk you thru it …might be beyond what your comfortable working on but possibly the slide got misaligned and binded up blowing the fuse
It is def misaligned. If it's a blown fuse, when I replace the fuse, and it starts running again, can it align itself by running it all the way it again? Or will I still need to take it in for service
Old 07-14-2022, 10:25 AM   #48
jasin1

also dropping below 12 volts can cause issues..this video explains how to manually override
Old 07-14-2022, 10:26 AM   #49
jasin1

Quote:
It is def misaligned. If it's a blown fuse, when I replace the fuse, and it starts running again, can it align itself by running it all the way it again? Or will I still need to take it in for service
there is a procedure for realignment..chuckster57 will probably chime in soon
Old 07-14-2022, 10:38 AM   #50
jasin1

another video that shows the manual override
Old 07-14-2022, 10:41 AM   #51
bearsgirl

Quote:
also dropping below 12 volts can cause issues..this video explains how to manually override
WOW!! What a great informative video!! Even if this isn't the issue, it's such good info to know!! Thank you!
Old 07-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #52
jasin1

your welcome….good luck
Old 07-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #53
bearsgirl

Quote:
another video that shows the manual override
Another great video with great info!! I'm the type of person that always asks why lol I want to know everything about everything. Thank you again
Old 07-14-2022, 11:49 AM   #54
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you for explaining all of that! I feel like such a newb lol. Electricity, volts, wattage, batteries... It's all such Greek to me. Just when I think I start to understand a little, someone throws out a new term lol. What is 120vac? I also don't understand that there are two 50amp feeds? Is that the plug in back you attach to shore power with? I do have a 30-50 dogbone.
120 vac is 120 volts alternating current, the same thing you have in your house. Amperage is a measure of volume of electricity if you will. I don't particularly like the comparison to water but it does make it easier for some people to relate. If you take a water hose you have 2 measurable forces, pressure and volume. If you compare to electricity the voltage is similar to the water pressure and the amperage is similar to the water flow (volume).

With the 120 vac circuit you have 3 wires. Black, white, and a green wire if it's stranded wire (a flexible cable) or black, white, and bare copper wires if it's solid wire (romex) like your house house. The electricity flows back and forth between the line (the black wire) and the neutral ( the white wire) reversing the direction of flow 60 times per second ( the frequency ). The green or bare wire is a ground wire and is there as a safety device to take the current to ground if the neutral fails.

A 50 amp camper will have 2 50 amp lines and they are identified as Line1 and Line2. The black wire is L1 and they add a red wire for L2. The 2 Lines share the same neutral and ground. The breaker panel has 2 sides that the Lines are separated on. One side fed by L1 and the other side fed by L2.

I hope this doesn't confuse you, I know it's a lot to absorb.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #55
Spock123

If you haven’t got the problem fixed yet then try this with your slide. This will not cost anything if it doesn’t work. Discount the batteries and solar, no power to the camper. Check the lights just to make sure you have no power. Wait 1 minute and connect the batteries and the solar. What happens with the camper without any power everything reverts back to factory settings. I have problems with my level up system a lot, I hit the wrong button. I check the easy things first. Might work or it might not, it won’t cost anything to try.
Spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:40 AM   #56
WDPatterson

Quote:
The kitchen slide (same side as wardrobe) worked perfectly. The living room slide does make a "crunching/grinding" sound when it seats coming in.
There is nothing in the rv yet so it's def not anything inside wedged. I've only had it 2wks, it's parked on a dirt lot, not hooked up to power or water, no trees or anything nearby so I didn't think to get up and sweep it before retracting it
There are a number of things to cover here. Firstly, I always make sure that there is nothing in the way of your slide, both going out and coming in. That means things like furniture or things on the floor, as well as obstacles on the outside of the trailer.
If you're not connected to outside power, then you need to have something connected to your batteries, to keep them charged up. If you do not, they will not last very long. You'll need to have something to charge your batteries before you operate your slides.
You can get a small generator, with an RV receptacle on it, and use it to supply power to get your slides in and out, as well as lights, water pump, etc. Again, your batteries will need to be charged.
As another commenter said, get yourself a two foot level, even one foot torpedo level, and set it on the floor in your trailer. Check your level, front to back, and side to side.
If all the seller did was drop it off, and they did not level it themselves, then you'll need to find a way to do that.
If you do not have a Kingpin support, you can buy one through Amazon or any of the RV equipment companies online.

• The ultra Fab King Pin stabilizer tripod, which will hold up to 5,000 lb, will help you accomplish lifting and lowering your when in gear on the front of your fifth wheel, But be sure to have your wheels blocked and locked.
UF Ultra-Fab Products 19-950001 Steel King Pin Tripod Stabilizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021W4QRI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_665NF0NM3A7M00THKXZ9

• If you haven't already, get yourself some X-Chock Wheel Stabilizers, to keep your wheels from moving, when you are parked.
X-Chock Wheel Stabilizer - Pair - One Handle - 28012 https://a.co/d/3zR5fRs

If you are out of level from left to right, you're going to need something to move that trailer. If you have a friend with a fifth wheel hitch, or you can get the dealer to come back, you're going to need to get that trailer leveled.

Wishing you blessings and good luck as you sort that out!
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:54 AM   #57
WDPatterson

Quote:
Do you have an affordable recommendation for a generator for this size RV? I found this on Amazon for $600 but completely in the dark as to whether it is sufficient, good price? WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off and Electric Start https://a.co/g16bPnP
Do you have one air conditioner, or two?? 3800 Watts Peak, or running Watts??
I currently run a 15,000 BTU air conditioner, and ice maker and refrigerator, and freezer. The draw In the Heat of the sunny Texas day is comparable to what you'll experience in Las vegas. I find that a minimum of 3,500 Watts is needed to supply sufficient power to run everything.
You will find that many contend on this issue. But, you don't want your generator running at 100%. You want a generator that runs at about half load to supply you everything you need. Otherwise, you'll wear it out pretty quick.
Costco, if you have one near you, has a really good deal on Firman generators, right now. It's a tri fuel, which runs on natural gas, propane, or gasoline.
https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-...100840185.html

You'll get the most power out of the gasoline. But, you can fall back on the others.
With 7500 running Watts, I don't have anything falling out, and I'm not stressing it. I bought my first one back in May for $699, they go for $1500, normally.
Costco still have that deal going on through July 24th.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:29 AM   #58
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock123 View Post
If you haven’t got the problem fixed yet then try this with your slide. This will not cost anything if it doesn’t work. Discount the batteries and solar, no power to the camper. Check the lights just to make sure you have no power. Wait 1 minute and connect the batteries and the solar. What happens with the camper without any power everything reverts back to factory settings. I have problems with my level up system a lot, I hit the wrong button. I check the easy things first. Might work or it might not, it won’t cost anything to try.
I will def try this! Thank you!
Old 07-17-2022, 11:32 AM   #59
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
There are a number of things to cover here. Firstly, I always make sure that there is nothing in the way of your slide, both going out and coming in. That means things like furniture or things on the floor, as well as obstacles on the outside of the trailer.
If you're not connected to outside power, then you need to have something connected to your batteries, to keep them charged up. If you do not, they will not last very long. You'll need to have something to charge your batteries before you operate your slides.
You can get a small generator, with an RV receptacle on it, and use it to supply power to get your slides in and out, as well as lights, water pump, etc. Again, your batteries will need to be charged.
As another commenter said, get yourself a two foot level, even one foot torpedo level, and set it on the floor in your trailer. Check your level, front to back, and side to side.
If all the seller did was drop it off, and they did not level it themselves, then you'll need to find a way to do that.
If you do not have a Kingpin support, you can buy one through Amazon or any of the RV equipment companies online.

• The ultra Fab King Pin stabilizer tripod, which will hold up to 5,000 lb, will help you accomplish lifting and lowering your when in gear on the front of your fifth wheel, But be sure to have your wheels blocked and locked.
UF Ultra-Fab Products 19-950001 Steel King Pin Tripod Stabilizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021W4QRI...NM3A7M00THKXZ9

• If you haven't already, get yourself some X-Chock Wheel Stabilizers, to keep your wheels from moving, when you are parked.
X-Chock Wheel Stabilizer - Pair - One Handle - 28012 https://a.co/d/3zR5fRs

If you are out of level from left to right, you're going to need something to move that trailer. If you have a friend with a fifth wheel hitch, or you can get the dealer to come back, you're going to need to get that trailer leveled.

Wishing you blessings and good luck as you sort that out!
Great info! Thank you! I didn't think one of those stabilizers would work because it says holds 5,000lbs and the RV weighs 10,000+ lbs but I guess logically ALL that weight isn't right there up front. I just ordered everything you suggested from Amazon. Thanks again
Old 07-17-2022, 11:38 AM   #60
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
Do you have one air conditioner, or two?? 3800 Watts Peak, or running Watts??
I currently run a 15,000 BTU air conditioner, and ice maker and refrigerator, and freezer. The draw In the Heat of the sunny Texas day is comparable to what you'll experience in Las vegas. I find that a minimum of 3,500 Watts is needed to supply sufficient power to run everything.
You will find that many contend on this issue. But, you don't want your generator running at 100%. You want a generator that runs at about half load to supply you everything you need. Otherwise, you'll wear it out pretty quick.
Costco, if you have one near you, has a really good deal on Firman generators, right now. It's a tri fuel, which runs on natural gas, propane, or gasoline.
https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-...100840185.html

You'll get the most power out of the gasoline. But, you can fall back on the others.
With 7500 running Watts, I don't have anything falling out, and I'm not stressing it. I bought my first one back in May for $699, they go for $1500, normally.
Costco still have that deal going on through July 24th.
Oy vey that thing weighs 250lbs. There's no way I'd be able to handle that by myself. Is it loud? I have read that you should get the enclosed ones to cut down the sound? I'm a newb so I really have no idea lol. I do have 2 a/c's. I don't anticipate running them both at the same time. I also have a res fridge. I should be on shore power MOST of the time. I really just want a generator as back up, just in case

Tags