Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2022, 01:15 PM   #1
Javi

Thinking About Micro Air Easy Start & Easy Touch

First, I really need the temp to cool off so I can go camping 107 currently.

Sitting around the house is costing me a lot of money, so far, I've installed Lithium batteries and rewired all the breakers and converter plus the inverter.

Now I'm ordering a generator to power the A/C when we want to work in the trailer while it is in storage and as backup for the sticks & bricks.

That caused me to start looking at soft starts, which has now led me to the wireless thermostats.

Where does this end???
Old 07-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Javi it won't unless you get out and get going! Same way here; used to be vacations cost me every time I went, now I don't spend much when gone but when I'm here I'm buying stuff every day. As far as the easy touch I have nothing but good things to say about it. Does your Alpine have the Dometic capacitive touch thermostat?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Javi it won't unless you get out and get going! Same way here; used to be vacations cost me every time I went, now I don't spend much when gone but when I'm here I'm buying stuff every day. As far as the easy touch I have nothing but good things to say about it. Does your Alpine have the Dometic capacitive touch thermostat?
The Avalanche has analog Coleman thermostats which are simple but a pain for the DW to use, especially the living room because it has the furnace as well.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:02 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

We installed both the soft start and the easy touch thermostat. We LOVE them and my wife changed her tune about the cost once we put them both to use.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:50 PM   #5
xrated

I've had the Micro air thermostat on one of my A/C units now for over a year and I really like it. It seems to be a quality unit and the fact that it has both Bluetooth AND WiFi, makes it very flexible to use. We don't leave our dog in the trailer very often or for very long.....and hour....maybe two at the most, but I can monitor the temperature in there with the phone app that you can use for it.....as long as you have some working internet via WiFi. And, if the power happens to go off and then come back on, I can restart the A/C unit remotely.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The Avalanche has analog Coleman thermostats which are simple but a pain for the DW to use, especially the living room because it has the furnace as well.
I believe they make the easy touch for those as well. You might look into them. They have much more functionality than OE units, tell the inside and outside temps, of course can be monitored remotely and it has large numbers on it so I can see. Didn't know I would appreciate that until we took this last trip right after eye surgery and it really helped.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:19 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I've had the Micro air thermostat on one of my A/C units now for over a year and I really like it. It seems to be a quality unit and the fact that it has both Bluetooth AND WiFi, makes it very flexible to use. We don't leave our dog in the trailer very often or for very long.....and hour....maybe two at the most, but I can monitor the temperature in there with the phone app that you can use for it.....as long as you have some working internet via WiFi. And, if the power happens to go off and then come back on, I can restart the A/C unit remotely.
We have found that if power goes out, it automatically picks up where it left off, no interaction necessary! We used it a lot on our recent 3,200 mile 20 day trip and tested everything in many ways. Both worked great and it gave us peace of mind for our dogs while we were out adventuring knowing that the temp was right for them.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:21 PM   #8
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We have found that if power goes out, it automatically picks up where it left off, no interaction necessary! We used it a lot on our recent 3,200 mile 20 day trip and tested everything in many ways. Both worked great and it gave us peace of mind for our dogs while we were out adventuring knowing that the temp was right for them.
Out of curiosity, what brand and model are your A/C units?

Old 07-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I believe they make the easy touch for those as well. You might look into them. They have much more functionality than OE units, tell the inside and outside temps, of course can be monitored remotely and it has large numbers on it so I can see. Didn't know I would appreciate that until we took this last trip right after eye surgery and it really helped.
Yep I've been watching YouTube videos all day on both the Easy Start and the Easy Touch.
Well, there goes another grand .. glad I'm still working 💪
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:18 AM   #10
RickV

Has anyone tried the "SoftStartRV", curious as to how well it works? The videos look good.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:14 AM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Yep I've been watching YouTube videos all day on both the Easy Start and the Easy Touch.
Well, there goes another grand .. glad I'm still working 💪
LOL....I would hate to think of the amount of money I've spent on my T.H. since I purchased it. I've not kept track of it, and I really don't want to know, but there isn't one mod/extra that I've done so far, that I've not been happy with....so there is that.

Old 07-10-2022, 04:06 AM   #12
NH_Bulldog

If you watch their website and/or sign up for emails, they occasionally have “sales”. I bought mine on a Black Friday deal and paid $417 for both the EasyStart and EasyTouch (1 of each).

My AC is a Dometic Brisk Air II and it was paired with their crappy capacitive touch thermostat that would have a mind of it’s own just walking past it. The thermostat install was a 5 minute process. The EasyStart took a little longer, but I am really OC about routing wiring and making things look neat and secure. Mine came with the connectors pre-installed and I already had everything else needed for the installation, so I didn’t order the install kit.
Old 07-10-2022, 04:18 AM   #13
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
If you watch their website and/or sign up for emails, they occasionally have “sales”. I bought mine on a Black Friday deal and paid $417 for both the EasyStart and EasyTouch (1 of each).

My AC is a Dometic Brisk Air II and it was paired with their crappy capacitive touch thermostat that would have a mind of it’s own just walking past it. The thermostat install was a 5 minute process. The EasyStart took a little longer, but I am really OC about routing wiring and making things look neat and secure. Mine came with the connectors pre-installed and I already had everything else needed for the installation, so I didn’t order the install kit.
OK....thanks. I might be wrong, but I though my Coleman Mach unit had to be restarted if the power blipped.....I'll have to check it out the next time that I start the A/C up.

Old 07-10-2022, 04:41 AM   #14
ChuckS

The micro air digital thermostat is exactly what I will order come the day my old Dometic. CCC2 digital,thermostat dies.. excellent product.. pricey but great product with excellent customer service support

The micro air easy start is also excellent and if i boon docked more I’d have it on my two Dometic units

https://youtu.be/rCjFBhDy9QI

Mike Sokol also does a nice review of the soft start version and it is equally as good according to the test result

https://youtu.be/iJqijovoMW0

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:03 AM   #15
NH_Bulldog

There is an added bonus to the EasyStart besides boondocking and running on a generator. On our last trip, one RV park had an issue with the pedestal and until an electrician was able to get there, we had to run off 20A instead of 30A. We used the AC and had no issues. Then, the past few days we were visiting family and the spot where they parked their Class A near the house with water and sewer connections only has a 20A circuit for battery maintenance (seriously WTF?).

Anyway, having an EasyStart is about more than just boondocking. Even if you never boondock, and even if you have 2 AC’s, you might see a benefit to have at least 1 EasyStart in the event you find yourself in a situation with limited power and you NEED that AC to keep temps under control.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:16 AM   #16
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Has anyone tried the "SoftStartRV", curious as to how well it works? The videos look good.
The concept is solid for all house vs EasyStart, but only for 30a at this time.

I have MicroAir softstarts on both Ac’s and have had the thermostat since it was released several years ago. Had to work with their tech support as initial iterations were buggy, but they were stellar for support. Diagnosed the problem, pushed me custom firmware versions and fixed.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:21 AM   #17
Rwake901

Quote:
First, I really need the temp to cool off so I can go camping 107 currently.

Sitting around the house is costing me a lot of money, so far, I've installed Lithium batteries and rewired all the breakers and converter plus the inverter.

Now I'm ordering a generator to power the A/C when we want to work in the trailer while it is in storage and as backup for the sticks & bricks.

That caused me to start looking at soft starts, which has now led me to the wireless thermostats.

Where does this end???
My wife and I retired in April of 2020. I told her that all we do is find things to spend money on. If this keeps up we’ll have to go back to work. lol ☹️
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #18
8.1al

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I installed the SoftStart on our Dometic AC and it works just fine and their service and install help are outstanding
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #19
rlh1957

SoftStartRV is worth every penny and works as advertised.
Costs a bit, but it works. I have on both my air conditioners. Can’t even hear compressor starting. It makes running it on generator easier.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:00 AM   #20
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
The concept is solid for all house vs EasyStart, but only for 30a at this time.

I have MicroAir softstarts on both Ac’s and have had the thermostat since it was released several years ago. Had to work with their tech support as initial iterations were buggy, but they were stellar for support. Diagnosed the problem, pushed me custom firmware versions and fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.1al View Post
I installed the SoftStart on our Dometic AC and it works just fine and their service and install help are outstanding
My bad I meant the New SoftStartUp, the one that you plug in at the Power Pedestal. Thinking about getting one of these they have a 90 day trial so if it doesn't do what they say it will you can send it back.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote