Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Stop messing around and get rid of your dually and get one of those Ford F150 pickups that turn into a generator... I saw on a commercial one lighting up a whole house using an extension cord. And gas is a little cheaper than diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
George, haven't you seen the commercials? You tow the camper for about 250 miles then camp out in the wilderness. Then power the camper for the weekend and tow it home. Then at home you plug it in and recharge it where the electricity is apparently free. Right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Listen to Chuckster. Our 6500 watt Onan can go through a 40 lb cylinder in 4 hot nights and DOES require an electric heating wrap ($100) to keep from freezing the tank/regulator.
No carb problems however!!!

Okay guys, if I ever take this genset camping it will because I had a senior moment and forgot to take it out of the pickup after we loaded he trailer.

Seriously, eight of my Dad's eleven siblings died of Alzheimer's including him, so it is possible that I could forget and leave it in the bed..
Old 06-27-2022, 09:38 AM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Folks don't like to mention the Cummings Onan P4500i inverter generator, mostly because of it's price. They say the Westinghouse version is the same identical generator, but I cannot attest to that fact. The Cummings is definitely much more costly than the Westinghouse and for some reason, I just have a hard pill to swallow believing they can be the same with a $500 difference in price. But, I could be wrong.

Still, I have 2 of the Cummings I run in parallel for my 50 amp fifth wheel. One by itself will spit out 37 amps, which is more than comparable to 30 amp shore power. In fact, if you turn on everything in your camper, the camper 30 amp main will pop before the generator does. Running 2 of them in Parallel, I've turned on everything in my 50 amp camper, including electric griddles, coffee pots and everything else, and the power produced from the generators is identical to shore power.

They weigh in at over 100 pounds dry (no gas, no oil). The Cummings (I'll not confirm on the Westinghouse), holds 3.4 gallons of gas and will run for 18 hours under a normal light load. If under a medium load, can easily run for 15 hours.

It's very, very quiet, on 2 wheels with a telescoping handle which makes it easy to move, and fit's our needs perfect. We use them for camping and for power outages at the house. Being portable, I've also used them to run a number of my power tools... Skill Saws, Radial Arm Saw, a multitude of drills, air compressors, and even an electric pressure washer.

Now, if you want something good, that will serve you will, that is dependable, that has good customer support, (but is pricy) ... looking in the Onan P4500i, or the Westinghouse version for about $500 cheaper.

Again, I cannot testify about the Westinghouse. They look the same and the advertisements and the stat sheets show the same identical information, but are they really identical? I don't know. I've never used the Westinghouse. Your call on that one. But something makes them cheaper in price?

we have cummins engines in my sons boat and a on an generator….i can tell you anything with the name Cummins on it just costs more just for the name…i buy fleetwood oil filters for the boat and i bought permanent oil media air filters because it’s a FORTUNE to buy oem maintenance parts…maybe the cummins generator has a better warranty or better customer service..

keystone and grand design make almost identical trailers but grand design is 10k plus more for almost identical trailers…your paying for better customer service and the ability to get repairs approved easier from what i hear on the interwebs
Old 06-27-2022, 10:09 AM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
we have cummins engines in my sons boat and a on an generator….i can tell you anything with the name Cummins on it just costs more just for the name…i buy fleetwood oil filters for the boat and i bought permanent oil media air filters because it’s a FORTUNE to buy oem maintenance parts…maybe the cummins generator has a better warranty or better customer service..

keystone and grand design make almost identical trailers but grand design is 10k plus more for almost identical trailers…your paying for better customer service and the ability to get repairs approved easier from what i hear on the interwebs
Both the Onan and Westinghouse have the same 3 year warranty. The thing I like about the Westinghouse (other than the price) Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot all sell them and I can buy it locally. The only place local that has the Onan is the RV dealerships, don’t even think about asking them for help with a warranty issue, they just sell them. I personally don’t know if there’s any parts differences, my gut tells me you’re paying for the name and exclusive dealerships vs big box stores, but so far it haven’t failed me. The price difference is actually only about $300. I dont use my gens a lot, maybe I’d feel different about them if I did, but it was hard enough shelling out $2k for two of them and a parallel kit for the amount of use they get. I don’t know if I would have paid almost $3k for basically the same thing in a different wrapper.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:49 AM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Here's the one I'm thinking will work for me.. What y'all think

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/
i like that one …i think if i had it to do over i’d get it instead of my HF 3500…i may still get that one and use my HF for my kids homes in an emergency
Old 06-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #25
bsmith0404

Quote:

Nice gen, my only complaint on that one, and with the Champion gen I used to own, is how loud it is. At over 60 db it’s pretty loud for an inverter gen. When compared to others like the Onan, Westinghouse, Honda which run in the low 50s.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:07 AM   #26
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Nice gen, my only complaint on that one, and with the Champion gen I used to own, is how loud it is. At over 60 db it’s pretty loud for an inverter gen. When compared to others like the Onan, Westinghouse, Honda which run in the low 50s.
I doubt that the noise will be an issue with how I will be using it, but I do understand the concern.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:28 AM   #27
gearhead

Quote:

Javi that is the model I bought, except I got gasoline only. I'm fairly happy with them. They are very quiet. I had fuel issues with both of them that was solved quickly under warranty at my local lawn mower dealer. Only real issue is you can't leave the battery on overnight to utilize the remote start feature. The battery will be drained. It's kinda scary to me that they have only 0.5 quart of oil capacity. I run synthetic oil in mine. They are 100# each so I can't pick them up and sling them in the truck. I bought covers for them and just got a Champion tent for them.
I give it a 9 outa 10 score.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:38 AM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Javi that is the model I bought, except I got gasoline only. I'm fairly happy with them. They are very quiet. I had fuel issues with both of them that was solved quickly under warranty at my local lawn mower dealer. Only real issue is you can't leave the battery on overnight to utilize the remote start feature. The battery will be drained. It's kinda scary to me that they have only 0.5 quart of oil capacity. I run synthetic oil in mine. They are 100# each so I can't pick them up and sling them in the truck. I bought covers for them and just got a Champion tent for them.
i bought one of those tents for my HF 3500….who would have thought those tents would be more expensive then a actual 4 person tent
Old 06-28-2022, 04:47 AM   #29
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I doubt that mine will ever have gasoline in it, it's just to difficult to find corn-free gas in Waco and I always have a couple of full propane tanks handy.

And for the few hours that it might run when we're cleaning or re-packing the trailer, I might see if I can find one without the electric start and not have to worry about the battery.

The only time mine would ever run for more than 3 or 4 hours is if the electricity goes out at the house and I'm trying to save a freezer full of food or it's really cold and we need to power the blower on the natural gas heater at the house..

Guess I need to start watching for a sale...
Old 06-28-2022, 05:11 AM   #30
bsmith0404

I believe they all have a cord/recoil start as well for a backup to the electric. At least everyone I’ve seen does. The electric start is definitely worth having, even if you have to keep it on the charger from time to time
Or charge it the day before you need to use it. The Firman I used to have was a very cold blooded to start with the cord, but would pop right off with the electric start.

And 62 db is still a lot quieter than a non inverter gen. I’ve just gotten used to the 52 db on my Westinghouse so it sounds loud now.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 06-30-2022, 07:50 AM   #31
Camp CA

I know you wanted a 3500 watts, but for the weight and price I bought a Champion Power Equipment 2500-Watt Gasoline/Propane Portable Inverter Generator Item #3629575Model #100899 that weighs 39 lbs so its easy to lift for $587.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:21 AM   #32
Tom 1957

I have a NorthStar 5500 generator from Northern Tool and added a Motor Snorkel propane/natural gas conversion kit. The generator is double neutral to ground bonded. I also have the Micro Air EasyStarts installed on the AC units to reduce the inrush/LRA current. This setup works great.I have a 125 gallon propane tank at my RV lot in the North GA mountains. Running watts are about 4250 when using propane. Generator weighs about 200 lbs but is basically stationary at our permanent site.Propane runs cleaner and quieter than gasoline. We're currently weekend warriers, and enjoy having generator backup to run the RV fully during power outages. Finally we have the Micro Air EasyTouch thermostat that allow us to monitor remotely and adjust RV internal environment via WiFi. We're about 80 miles from our RV site getaway.
Tom 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:07 AM   #33
RobJr

I use the Westinghouse I gen 4500watt inverter. Easy on gas, runs the A/C , fridge, and everything else with no problem. Very lightweight. 2022 Keystone Bullet 258rks.
RobJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:30 PM   #34
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Doesn't LP provide less energy than gasoline? Might need more generator than 3500 if you go that route. I was thinking of converting my Onan 5500 to LP but was advised against it for that reason.
Propane provides 60% of the energy that gasoline does. You'll end up using almost twice as much propane to get the job done.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:33 PM   #35
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
What is the fuel consumption difference. When I put Onan 5500 LP gens in new units it seemed like it sucked down a 30lb cylinder quickly and on one occasion caused a freeze up and it quit.
I was just talking to Firman Power Equipment tech support about that very thing, the other day.
Dave Saturday 20 lb can would last 6 to 7 hours at about half load, on the 7500 watt runtime unit. On propane, it's about 6,500 watts.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:37 PM   #36
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
3150 watts is only about 26 amps. That’s max, normal run is probably only around 2800 watts which is only 23A. The converter pulls about 7. That’s pushing it pretty close to being able to run an AC. If you go up in altitude at all, you’ll lose even more. I had a 3600/3300 and got rid of it for that reason. I recommend 4500 as a minimum.
I have six of the Champion Power Equipment Model 100216, which produce 4500 watts peak, and 3650 watts run time. I can run the 15,000 Watt air conditioner, along with the ice maker, refrigerator, and outside freezer, and all the lights around my place.. But, I have to shut off the air conditioner to run the microwave or the hot water heater.
It doesn't matter whether you use a soft start, or not, you're still going to be pulling 2500 watts for that air conditioner. Even in the best of shape, with good maintenance intervals, regular oil changes, etc, you will not get the horsepower, or the power delivery that you want without going to at least 5,000 watts.

I recently purchased a Firman T07571 tri-fuel generator, at COSTCO. It lasted a month, and knocked the end off of one of the valve stems. I went back, they replaced it for free, and I got a model T07573.

Yes, it weighs 200 lb. It comes with big wheels, and a nice big handle to pull it with. So, it's pretty easy to get around. Nevertheless, it's a little bulky. But, the new model has a monoxide detector which will shut it down if you get monoxide in the area. Outdoors, it works great. And, I don't have to worry about limitations. However, almost every generator I have seen has a 30 amp breaker even on a 50 amp circuit.

That's where the problem occurs. Nevertheless, it's best to have a power plant that puts out more than what you need. I've been dealing with this for about 4 years straight, so I have some pretty good understanding of it.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:42 PM   #37
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
if you don’t need the inverter then this one is more reasonable…123 lbs though
You can get those cheaper at Tractor Supply.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #38
WDPatterson

Quote:

You'll want to buy two of those and put them on a parallel kit. You don't have to buy them both at once, but it really helps to pair them and take advantage of the parallel connection. That way, you'll actually get the wattage you need. And, when you're not using the air conditioner, you can fall back to using just one of them. Nevertheless, remember that 4,650 watt value is peak, not running watts. AND, you won't get that much wattage out of propane.

One big plus, though, is that you have a Eco circuit which makes it go to idle when there's no load. Saves you a lot of fuel, that way. And, these are very lightweight in comparison to open frame units.

Now, my experience with Champion is that they don't like it if you use your generator a lot. In fact, I've begun to see them more as a boutique generator manufacturer. So, as much as they want to say they warrantee it for 3 years, they will come up with excuses why they won't warrant it if you use it a lot.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #39
WDPatterson

Quote:
One note, this isn't for boondocking, it is about getting by in a worse case with power loss at the house and occasionally running one a/c at the storage facility when cleaning or working in the trailer in 105 degrees like today.
I know you want to keep a lightweight generator. The problem is, a lightweight generator which only supplies the bare minimum of power to get you running will struggle. It will run hard, it will break down quickly. You want a generator that is big enough to pull the load, do it easily, and do it at about 50% of its rated performance. That way, when you need it, when the **** hits the fan, you'll have something that lasts. I went to the Firman generator, because it has a cast iron cylinder liner, and because Costco sells them right now through the 24th of July for $699. Get one, if you can. In fact, get two of them.

This price is phenomenal, because this generator is usually $1,600, retail. Furthermore, it is tri-fuel. It runs on gasoline, propane, and natural gas. It comes with the hose and regulator to run it on propane. So, you can run it on a 20, 30, or 100 lb can.
If you need to run it on natural gas, they have a separate hose and regulator to do that with.
It also comes with an L14-P30 twist lock pigtail with a quad box and Breakers built into it. It also comes with the wheel kit, which uses 11-in Wheels which are about 2 in wide each, and a huge handle. My wife and I can pick this thing up and put it in the back of the car.

The Costco website shows $799 price tag. The In-Store sale lasts until July 24th for $699.
https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-...100840185.html
Old 06-30-2022, 02:56 PM   #40
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Listen to Chuckster. Our 6500 watt Onan can go through a 40 lb cylinder in 4 hot nights and DOES require an electric heating wrap ($100) to keep from freezing the tank/regulator.
No carb problems however!!!
You can lessen the chance of icing on your LP tank if you put a splitter and connect two tanks at the same time. In fact, a couple of the manufacturers make that splitter and hose, which you can purchase. Firman is one of them.