Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2022, 03:23 AM   #1
raptor0818

How do you know when slides are fully in or out

Hello, guess everyone is saying, can't believe someone is asking how do you tell when slides are fully out or in. I have asked a stupid question or two in my life. I am asking that when using the in command app and no where near the rv, how to you know when the slides have fully accomplished their travel either in or out.

raptor0818
2021 apline3850rd
2019 3500 longhorn
raptor0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:30 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Since there aren’t any sensors that report the position of the slide, you don’t really know for sure.

Operating the slides when your not near the RV isn’t something I would do since there isn’t any way of knowing if there are any obstructions.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:41 AM   #3
spicercars

I personally would not operate the slides unless I am there watching them. If there is something in the way inside or out the slide will not stop and could do lots of damage. Just my two cents.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:33 AM   #4
jasin1

the in·command app allows you to operate the slides from the outside of the rv when your in a tight spot…a tree or other obstacle is close …i would never use it from anywhere more then five feet from the rv itself to open or close the slides.

i guess your trying to remotely open the rv for a guest or family member ? if that’s the case you need to teach everyone the procedure beforehand
Old 05-03-2022, 04:44 AM   #5
madweazl

I have electric slides so I listen to the motor and pay attention to the gap. You'll hear the motor start to strain under load as it gets close to the fully closed or open position. When closing the slides, I pay attention the seal and gap to the trailer wall. Opening the slide I look for it to lay flush with the floor and listen to the motor again.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:50 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
I have electric slides so I listen to the motor and pay attention to the gap. You'll hear the motor start to strain under load as it gets close to the fully closed or open position. When closing the slides, I pay attention the seal and gap to the trailer wall. Opening the slide I look for it to lay flush with the floor and listen to the motor again.
The OP was asking how you would know if your using an app and not near the RV, you are correct in your method if your at the trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:54 AM   #7
raptor0818

Thank you all, guess I won't ever use the in command unless present when moving the slides.
raptor0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:13 PM   #8
ChuckS

Since your Alpine has Both hydraulic thru the frame slides and Schwintek in wall electric you need to be at the RV during any slide operation..

With the hydraulic slides the way to know they are fully open or closed is the change in the pitch of the hydraulic pump.. there is a pressure switch on the manifold that will open if the hyd pressure builds past its preset limit and will shut down the hyd slide motion.. i would not rely on the pressure switch to turn the pump motor off. It’s an Eyes On operation only

The Schwintek slides operate electrically and the slide switch or in command button needs to be pressed and additional couple of seconds after motion has stopped to keep the two motors on the slide in sync

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide