Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 04:17 PM   #41
Pathman

Hey Marshall, so sorry about your dog. I lost my Brittany 5 years go, still miss her, hell of a bird dog and just a great overall pet.

Thanks for your insight, you have all been very helpful so far, I’m hoping I can sort this out in the next day or two.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:19 PM   #42
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Trucks payload capacities are calculated with full tank of fuel.
Yes, and allowance for a 150# driver, my point is even empty the truck will likely have less than the 2,966# listed payload.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 05-01-2022, 04:34 PM   #43
bsmith0404

Here’s what I feel is the bottom line for you to consider. Will you go over your trucks payload? probably. I listed things you can do to minimize that and possibly stay within the trucks GVWR. Many others on here have posted the worst case or what if scenarios. Those can and sometimes do happen especially if you are not managing your cargo and it’s not a bad idea to plan that way. I will also say this, if you want the 295, get it. It’s much easier and less expensive to upgrade trucks than an RV. Depreciation on trucks is much less than it is on RVs. Also, many people don’t keep an RV very long and often find themselves upgrading. In most cases they go bigger/heavier which usually means a bigger truck as well. Hopefully the 295 is an RV you can love for a long time. If you can get 8-10 years with an RV you’re in a select few group. If I was in your shoes, I’d get the RV I want, run it across the scales, if you don’t like the numbers, upgrade the truck, it’s probably going to happen at some point anyway.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 05-01-2022, 04:36 PM   #44
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Yes, and allowance for a 150# driver, my point is even empty the truck will likely have less than the 2,966# listed payload.
That’s what is on the OP door sticker so that is what he has to play with. I haven’t looked up the payload info lately, I don’t recall the 150 for driver part, but do know the full tank of fuel is part of it.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #45
Pathman

Quote:
Not on GVWR, the R is rating which doesn’t change. It will impact the actual weight of the trailer. Unlike some of the others on here, I have a hard time imagining anyone actually putting 2,600 lbs of cargo into a 295. I suppose if your tanks were full, that could bump you up close to the max cargo capacity. The 295 has large tanks and you could easily add close to 1,000 lbs to the UVW. Obviously a portion of that will be on the pin. What I was talking about is more strategic planning. Don’t load a bunch of tools in the back of your truck. Don’t put a generator in the back of the truck. Most RV emergency repairs can be done with a small tool set, generators can be put on cargo racks behind the RV, coolers full of ice and drinks can be placed inside the RV above the axles so the weight isn’t on the pin. Many people take a lot more “stuff” with them than they need. I had to teach my wife that just because we have room for them, we don’t need 10 camp chairs just in case some people come to visit…we don’t need a canopy and a screen tent We don’t need two weeks worth of food for a 4 day weekend. With a big 5th wheel, it’s easy to load it up just because you can. Regardless of what your tow vehicle is, resist the urge to load it up.
Yes that’s what I meant, the overall weight, not the WR, would be impacted. Still getting my feet wet here guys, no need to yell at me! LOL
Old 05-01-2022, 05:00 PM   #46
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathman View Post
Yes that’s what I meant, the overall weight, not the WR, would be impacted. Still getting my feet wet here guys, no need to yell at me! LOL
Wasn’t yelling, didn’t use all caps or bold. Lol. Just wanted to make sure you understood the difference. Like you said, your just getting your feet wet.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:09 PM   #47
chuckster57
Site Team

As Brent stated, no one is yelling at you, we are all trying to help you navigate all the numbers, calculations and such you need to make a well informed decision.

What ever you decide, I hope you stay safe and enjoy your RVing experiences.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:50 PM   #48
rhagfo

Quote:
That’s what is on the OP door sticker so that is what he has to play with. I haven’t looked up the payload info lately, I don’t recall the 150 for driver part, but do know the full tank of fuel is part of it.
That number is only accurate as the vehicle rolls off the assembly line! Once past that point anything added or removed from the vehicle will change that value.
This why before considering a 5th wheel one needs to load all normal passengers and and other items that are normally carried when camping. Then head to a scale and see how much of that 2,966# payload remains.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:51 PM   #49
Pathman

No didn’t mean you Bsmith, was that other guy!��
Old 05-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #50
Pathman

I’m just poking some fun, believe me, I’m not that thin skinned!
Old 05-01-2022, 05:54 PM   #51
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
That number is only accurate as the vehicle rolls off the assembly line! Once past that point anything added or removed from the vehicle will change that value.
This why before considering a 5th wheel one needs to load all normal passengers and and other items that are normally carried when camping. Then head to a scale and see how much of that 2,966# payload remains.
I think that’s my best bet at this point. I guess a truck stop would have a scale?
Old 05-01-2022, 05:58 PM   #52
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I’m just poking some fun, believe me, I’m not that thin skinned!
These threads seem to get real heated sometimes, I for one applaud you for asking before you make any decisions. Too many times we get a brand new RV’r that posts:

I just bought a “XXX” that is 35 feet long and weighs 12,000 pounds empty. I’m using a 20XX 3/4 ton, the dealership told me I was well within the capacity of my truck. Am I good to go? Then the answers (arguments) start.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #53
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I think that’s my best bet at this point. I guess a truck stop would have a scale?
Yup, that’s kind of what I said in my first post as I recall.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:04 PM   #54
Pathman

[QUOTE=chuckster57;497713]Yup, that’s kind of what I said in my first post as I recall.

You did indeed!

So I’m curious, how does an RV dealer calculate the numbers in order to tell buyers that their trucks are sufficient? Do they use a different system?
Old 05-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #55
rhagfo

[QUOTE=Pathman;497715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

You did indeed!

So I’m curious, how does an RV dealer calculate the numbers in order to tell buyers that their trucks are sufficient? Do they use a different system?
Well they stick to the towing number and ignore payload so they can sell the unit.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:10 PM   #56
bsmith0404

[QUOTE=Pathman;497715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

You did indeed!

They use tow guides. RV dealers don’t worry about vehicle payload they just need to show that the truck is capable of towing the weight. I sold RVs for 4 years. If the truck wasn’t rated for towing the weight, the customer had to sign a truck waiver. Payload was never a consideration or concern for the dealership. Not sure where the truck waiver part came into play, if was lawyers, if a customer came back complaining that their truck wasn’t big enough and forced them to go back on the sale, or some other reason.

If you do a google on RV tow guide for your year of truck you will see what they use. Trailer life as well as other companies publish one each year.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:16 PM   #57
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You did indeed!

Short answer: They don't.... If someone comes in with a truck and wants to buy a trailer, 90% of the dealerships will find a way to put a trailer behind the customer's truck. It may not be the "biggest one the customer looked at, but it will be in the price range the dealer can get financing for based on the customer's credit score.....

Few (there are some exceptions) dealers give a "rat's patootie" what you do with your trailer or your truck after you leave the lot. Most have you sign a document that obtaining and maintaining an appropriate tow vehicle is your responsibility, not theirs.... The same statement is on the bottom of every keystone RV brochure.....

When you buy your trailer, keep track of what documents you sign. Somewhere in the process, you'll sign an acknowledgement that you understand the dealership is not responsible to confirm your selection of tow vehicles is adequate for the trailer you're buying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer vehicle disclaimer.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	39535  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-01-2022, 06:20 PM   #58
Pathman

[QUOTE=bsmith0404;497718]
Quote:

They use tow guides. RV dealers don’t worry about vehicle payload they just need to show that the truck is capable of towing the weight. I sold RVs for 4 years. If the truck wasn’t rated for towing the weight, the customer had to sign a truck waiver. Payload was never a consideration or concern for the dealership. Not sure where the truck waiver part came into play, if was lawyers, if a customer came back complaining that their truck wasn’t big enough and forced them to go back on the sale, or some other reason.

If you do a google on RV tow guide for your year of truck you will see what they use. Trailer life as well as other companies publish one each year.
Interesting, so they maintain that as long as the truck is rated to tow the weight it’s all good. It’s kind of surprising that after all these years of apparently overratting the tow vehicles capacity, that they weren’t held accountable for any mishaps that may have happened to people towing with undersized vehicles. Which begs the question, what actually happens to trucks that are undersized and pull RVs that are too heavy.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:27 PM   #59
chuckster57
Site Team

[QUOTE=Pathman;497721]
Quote:

Interesting, so they maintain that as long as the truck is rated to tow the weight it’s all good. It’s kind of surprising that after all these years of apparently overratting the tow vehicles capacity, that they weren’t held accountable for any mishaps that may have happened to people towing with undersized vehicles. Which begs the question, what actually happens to trucks that are undersized and pull RVs that are too heavy.
They roll down the highway with you and me. You just have to hope they don’t get into any sort of “bind” and lose control taking you and your family with them.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:32 PM   #60
bsmith0404

[QUOTE=Pathman;497721]
Quote:

Now you’re getting into the area that Chuck mentioned earlier where there’s a lot of debate. I guess the answer is nothing as long as their aren’t any accidents. Even then, haven’t really heard of anything happening other than the damage to the truck/rv and hopefully no people. Different people have different opinions of undersized. Is a 1 ton dually towing 30k lbs worth of auto transport undersized or a 3/4 ton towing a 10k 5th wheel? If they’re commercial and have to stop at scales, the scales care about registration and axle weights not the payload on the door sticker. Let’s not go down this rabbit hole.
Closed Thread

Tags
montana