Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2022, 04:40 AM   #21
roadglide

I got this DEF recall my truck has been perfect. I take into to the dealer they scan the ECM for the recall . The recall is vague and the information guys said it should be better . A few days latter I find out about the buy back . My Denali is missing nothing for the early trucks. I hope I can dodge the bullet on the recall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	131B73B8-A25D-492C-9652-EB8D1E100396.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	39337  
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:00 AM   #22
jasin1

Have to be careful about recalls and what you agree to…I had a brand new Escalade in 2009… was getting oil changed at the dealer and they said “ hey while your here we have a service advisory/ recall on the heated windshield wiper reservoir…we can do it now and for the inconvenience GM will give you $100”…

I figured they were making it better for me …in reality they made it better for them

It seemed like a no brainer to me…

Well they went in and cut the harness and disabled and removed parts so it could never be used…now I had a button on the dash that was for nothing on a brand new luxury suv

Apparently it was a fire hazard on a few vehicles out of thousands

I was pretty mad..they said they wouldn’t hook it back up or even let me know exactly what they did
Old 04-19-2022, 06:00 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Ford is reflashing the PCM because of SCR and NOX sensor value issues, GM is doing something similar to their diesel engine vehicles...

Reminds me of the "federal mandates to convert to lead free fuel" that happened in the early 70's.... Every car built "had to meet federal standards" but even if they "almost did but not quite" they were sold to customers and recalled to repair them "after the manufacturer figured it all out"....

That led to things like "catalytic converter bypass pipes" that were sold at every Midas Muffler Shop in the country and back then, it solved the problem of plugged catalytic converters and kept cars running....

I'm wondering if we're about to enter the same "Midas repairs" for diesels, even though the Feds have made it illegal to alter the emissions control systems.... Seems the more they do, the less they actually improve.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:05 AM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Way over weight for a Suburban. THIS is what comes in the night....
I think that’s part of the “clean up crew” ..they show up with “The Wolf”…aka “The Fixer
Old 04-19-2022, 06:24 AM   #25
Badbart56

I am on a list of Ford 6.7 owners that will NOT be a party to any class action lawsuits that evolve from issues similar to the VW diesel buybacks that occurred some years ago. The Ford diesels purportedly have programming that has increased power levels while bypassing emissions levels also. So Ford would have to reach an individual agreement with the lawyers representing those of us that have opted out of a class action. Perhaps GM isn't giving their affected diesel owners that option. It's becoming more clear now. Legal maneuvering?

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:05 AM   #26
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ford is reflashing the PCM because of SCR and NOX sensor value issues, GM is doing something similar to their diesel engine vehicles...

Reminds me of the "federal mandates to convert to lead free fuel" that happened in the early 70's.... Every car built "had to meet federal standards" but even if they "almost did but not quite" they were sold to customers and recalled to repair them "after the manufacturer figured it all out"....

That led to things like "catalytic converter bypass pipes" that were sold at every Midas Muffler Shop in the country and back then, it solved the problem of plugged catalytic converters and kept cars running....

I'm wondering if we're about to enter the same "Midas repairs" for diesels, even though the Feds have made it illegal to alter the emissions control systems.... Seems the more they do, the less they actually improve.....
Kinda funny... we removed our cat converter from our 71 or 72 Vega wagon because we went overseas. Put it in storage here in the States and after over 12 years of living overseas, opening the storage was like a time capsule. Had the converter and all my old Army uniforms. We did have the Vega all those years but didn't need the converter as they dropped they put big straps across the sides to lift it off the ship and then dropped it. We had to sell it for scrap and file a claim with my Uncle Sam and bought a bigger disaster (a Mercury Ghia Z7 Zephyr).

Around south Texas, my understanding is that thieves actually crawl under cars and cut/steal the converters for whatever is in them. A big business I guess.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:53 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

We shipped a Gran Torino station wagon to Germany in 75. They removed the catalytic converter at the port and put it in a box in the back of the car. Told me when we picked it up in Bremerhaven, to keep it as it would be required for installation before we could ship the car back to the USA. We sold the car while we were over there and bought an Opel GT wagon through the BX/PX auto sales and shipped it back to the states. They never asked us about reinstalling the catalytic converter on the Opel.... I didn't ask them about it either, since I'm pretty sure the Ford catalytic converter wouldn't have fit and we couldn't afford to buy one on the German economy. LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:54 AM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Kinda funny... we removed our cat converter from our 71 or 72 Vega wagon because we went overseas. Put it in storage here in the States and after over 12 years of living overseas, opening the storage was like a time capsule. Had the converter and all my old Army uniforms. We did have the Vega all those years but didn't need the converter as they dropped they put big straps across the sides to lift it off the ship and then dropped it. We had to sell it for scrap and file a claim with my Uncle Sam and bought a bigger disaster (a Mercury Ghia Z7 Zephyr).

Around south Texas, my understanding is that thieves actually crawl under cars and cut/steal the converters for whatever is in them. A big business I guess.

I thought everybody locks their catalytic converter up at night…I keep my truck on blocks also …keep the wheels in my house…don’t want to take any chances..

Yeah I’m glad I haven’t had to deal with that yet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24F9CA2E-C60E-4301-B58C-167062789724.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	39339  
Old 04-19-2022, 01:22 PM   #29
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I thought everybody locks their catalytic converter up at night…I keep my truck on blocks also …keep the wheels in my house…don’t want to take any chances..

Sadly, this “lock” is looking better and better. They are having big enough issues down in the Twin Cities of catalytic converters being stolen the police are either tattooing a number of them, or also painting a blue stripe on them so not as easy to sell the stolen ones. The thefts have moved north and I know the car dealers and service shops are being hit up here occasionally too. Worst part? Apparently with the shortages some converters are back ordered 6-12 months…

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:36 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:

Owning a clunker with almost no one near where we live and almost always on our property with 9 dogs (currently) I don't lock my truck and my wife doesn't lock her 2003 Crown Vic. We do keep these vehicles in car ports to avoid hail damage. I have owned my clunker for several years and haven't washed it. I seem to recall it was white when I bought it.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #31
jasin1

Quote:
Owning a clunker with almost no one near where we live and almost always on our property with 9 dogs (currently) I don't lock my truck and my wife doesn't lock her 2003 Crown Vic. We do keep these vehicles in car ports to avoid hail damage. I have owned my clunker for several years and haven't washed it. I seem to recall it was white when I bought it.

Out in the middle of nowhere has been looking better the older I get.

My problem is I like water…when you have water you also have people…lots of them unfortunately
Old 04-19-2022, 02:58 PM   #32
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Sadly, this “lock” is looking better and better. They are having big enough issues down in the Twin Cities of catalytic converters being stolen the police are either tattooing a number of them, or also painting a blue stripe on them so not as easy to sell the stolen ones. The thefts have moved north and I know the car dealers and service shops are being hit up here occasionally too. Worst part? Apparently with the shortages some converters are back ordered 6-12 months…
What a nightmare
Old 04-19-2022, 03:55 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

My problem is I like water…when you have water you also have people…lots of them unfortunately

I feel the same way. Having grown up in an arid area I love to be near water. Told DW I wanted to buy a house here in FL to be near the water.....she said when you get home turn on a sprinkler....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:25 PM   #34
NH_Bulldog

According to GM, it is a hydro-lock/no start issue with the Duramax motors. The condition causes catastrophic internal engine component damage at it’s worse, or repeated misfires at it’s best.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	993136ED-D69E-407C-9F45-7BA06164C6FC.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	39351  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:16 PM   #35
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
According to GM, it is a hydro-lock/no start issue with the Duramax motors. The condition causes catastrophic internal engine component damage at it’s worse, or repeated misfires at it’s best.
Well hydro-lock and misfire suggest issues with injectors, or coolant leak into the cylinders. Just how much fluid does it take to lock up a cylinder?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:15 PM   #36
wiredgeorge

Quote:

I am not a water person and live about 3 miles from Lake Medina. The town of Mico (stands for Medina Irrigation Company) sits on the shore. The lake is down right now due to drought. We live off a side road which is off a side road and there are only a few houses on our road. We are at the end on a cul-de-sac. http://medina.uslakes.info/
Old 04-19-2022, 07:40 PM   #37
jfk69

I am an absolute water baby. Having been born and reared in a state surrounded by 1/6 of the available freshwater in the world, water is an essential part of me. There is nothing that brings inner peace like a day on the water.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:09 AM   #38
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I feel the same way. Having grown up in an arid area I love to be near water. Told DW I wanted to buy a house here in FL to be near the water.....she said when you get home turn on a sprinkler....
Old 04-20-2022, 02:27 AM   #39
jasin1

Quote:
I am not a water person and live about 3 miles from Lake Medina. The town of Mico (stands for Medina Irrigation Company) sits on the shore. The lake is down right now due to drought. We live off a side road which is off a side road and there are only a few houses on our road. We are at the end on a cul-de-sac. http://medina.uslakes.info/
It’s interesting how much that water fluctuates
Old 04-20-2022, 02:29 AM   #40
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
I am an absolute water baby. Having been born and reared in a state surrounded by 1/6 of the available freshwater in the world, water is an essential part of me. There is nothing that brings inner peace like a day on the water.
We hope to camp up in Michigan this summer…been watching a photographer that captures the Great Lakes freighters throughout the year…looks like a pretty area