Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2022, 09:03 AM   #21
JBM3M

WOW, I started looking at prices and I will just fix this one up. Wow, smh.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:29 AM   #22
JOEJ
Gone Traveling

Good idea, if I was in market for a diesel it would be pre DEF.
JOEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
Folks here are quick to spout their personal brand preference and as quick to help you spend your money. Right now trucks are stupid expensive; wait a year or two to take up purchasing when the pricing stabilizes and will actually drop. Shortage of new trucks (See the many posts from folks who placed order last year and are still waiting. Orders were placed because of little or no stock on the lot). Once the supply of chips normalizes (don't want to get political), the trucks will start rolling off the line and there will be no shortage of new trucks and the demand for used will taper off as well. Buying now is not the best decision if your current truck is still getting the job done.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:50 AM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEJ View Post
Those are getting more difficult to find!
Even most OTR trucks now use DEF!
Quite honestly the DEF was/is not a big deal!
My GMC used approximately 2.5 gallons every 3000-3500 miles, no stinking exhaust & didn't belch black smoke every time you accelerate for 176k trouble free miles, all well worth the less than a penny per mile for the DEF.
If you're looking to be one of those guys that think a diesel MUST roll coal to be a good diesel then a pre DEF is what you want.
As for my recommendation of truck it would be either of GMs Duramax/Allison trucks or the Ram CTD, I've had good luck with the GMs & my son has good luck with his Rams. Drove Ford trucks for 30+ years at work, with that experience I don't/won't own a Ford.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:13 PM   #25
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Congrats on the F350. Did you get the regular or long bed with the 48 gallon tank.
48 gallon tank, short bed. Lots of range but at 5.39/gal is $258.72. 5.39/gal is current price here in Caifornia....ugh! Can't take it with you.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #26
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
48 gallon tank, short bed. Lots of range but at 5.39/gal is $258.72. 5.39/gal is current price here in Caifornia....ugh! Can't take it with you.
Only on the 176" WB which in '17 was the crew cab long bed that the 48 gallon tan
k was available. Truck was a pleasure to drive once we got out of Louisiana!
Old 04-03-2022, 01:44 PM   #27
notanlines

Quote:
For what possible reasons?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:00 PM   #28
jfk69

All of the Big 3 produce great heavy duty trucks. I’m partial to Ford and Ram, I like both a lot. My Ram’s interior was a little more refined, but had several electrical “quirks” that would piss me off at times. My F350 is a beast, I love the truck. Even with a 3.31 rear end, the 6.7 will pull stumps. The interior, only being an XLT is less refined, but I like it. In a strange way I look at it as a “truck” interior and not a “car” interior. Not a fan of GM’s, but my brother-in-law loves his. Their seats don’t fit me well, and the exterior design, for me, is ugly as sin.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:11 PM   #29
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
All of the Big 3 produce great heavy duty trucks. I’m partial to Ford and Ram, I like both a lot. My Ram’s interior was a little more refined, but had several electrical “quirks” that would piss me off at times. My F350 is a beast, I love the truck. Even with a 3.31 rear end, the 6.7 will pull stumps. The interior, only being an XLT is less refined, but I like it. In a strange way I look at it as a “truck” interior and not a “car” interior. Not a fan of GM’s, but my brother-in-law loves his. Their seats don’t fit me well, and the exterior design, for me, is ugly as sin.
Good friend of mine has a '16 Ram Tradesman dually diesel with a 3.42 rear. Not the HO 6.7 Cummins engine. Let him drive my Ford basic Lariat and he couldn't believe the power of the Powerstroke with 4.10 gearing. Wife found it very comfortable on long trips when we hauled seafood to her sister's house in Maryland.
Old 04-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #30
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
Yes, crazy pricing! The 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW CTD that we bought just over three years ago with 27k on the clock now has 71k on the clock and worth about $5,000 to 9,000 more than we paid for it.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:37 AM   #31
falcondan95705

I have owned 3 PSDs. 95 ,had the most power, a 97.. Issues were rear gally plugs leaking, one hp pump on the 97 and both ate glow plugs. Last was a 2002 lariat.. Great truck. We are on our 2nd Ram. What you will notice is a huge power difference in yhe newer trucks. A new truck with all the options are nearing 100k...
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:46 AM   #32
skmct

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Yes, crazy pricing! The 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW CTD that we bought just over three years ago with 27k on the clock now has 71k on the clock and worth about $5,000 to 9,000 more than we paid for it.
I agree ouch! That's why I am sticking with my 2007. You can buy a lot of cameras and other aftermarkets goodies. and still be way ahead of the game.
New is nice but knowing what you have is comforting. Having the 60 or 70k in the bank also feels good.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:57 PM   #33
Pull Toy

I’d wait for the backlog to clear, and prices to go back to normal. This “Value added” pricing is a crock, and you’ll wind up upside down.

Good luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:00 AM   #34
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
For what possible reasons?
☝🏻 this, I had heard ever since the whole DEF thing started "You don't want a truck that uses DEF" like it was some big deal. I had two older diesels Pre-DEF and then got the 2021 and after over 17000 miles I may have maybe 20 gallons of DEF fluid in it. The only time it really uses it is when I am pulling the 5ver. I am not a Tree Hugger or anything like that but, the truck don't smoke and there's not the strong diesel smell.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:34 AM   #35
rhagfo

Quote:
Why, it isn't a big deal, the last big diesel truck to not use DEF was the 2012 Ram. So you are going to limit yourself to buying a 10 year old TV with lower towing and axle ratings then a new truck. I don't find DEF to be an issue, what I do find is even with all the emission equipment on these trucks in the incredible power they produce. The inside of my exhaust pipe is clean, no soot.

If you see a newer diesel producing soot, it is deleted as non deleted will not produce black smoke.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:46 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
☝🏻 this, I had heard ever since the whole DEF thing started "You don't want a truck that uses DEF" like it was some big deal. I had two older diesels Pre-DEF and then got the 2021 and after over 17000 miles I may have maybe 20 gallons of DEF fluid in it. The only time it really uses it is when I am pulling the 5ver. I am not a Tree Hugger or anything like that but, the truck don't smoke and there's not the strong diesel smell.
This was common when vehichles requireing DEF first arrived. A lot of folks saw them as "another smog control to choke out the engine", or "I'm not buying something that won't work without an additive", or "it's going to cost too much to operate". Years later when many of the issue get dispelled as myths or are resolved the "belifs" linger. Like the urban myth that cell phones cause gas station fires. This was dispelled well over 20 years ago yet you still find warnings at the pumps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:03 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

I owned a 1993 Ford 7.3L NA diesel. Towing through New Mexico, pulling the hills around Albuqurque, we filled the Holiday Rambler FULL of black soot because we left the roof vents open creating a vacuum in the trailer.

I owned a 1999 Ford 7.3L turbo diesel. Towing through New Mexico, pulling the hills around Alburqurque, we covered the front of the Holiday Rambler FULL of black soot, but only a slight diesel smell inside the trailer.

I own a 2015 Ford 6.7L turbo diesel with DEF. Towing through New Mexico, pulling the hills around Alburqurque, there's no soot on the trailer, no smell of diesel in the trailer. At home, the garage smells more "musty from water tracked in on the tires" than it does from "diesel soot from starting the truck to back it out"...

There is a DISTINCT difference in diesel's these days. They no longer are the sooty, smelly, STINKING engines of the "pre DEF era"...

Anybody who says "Don't buy a diesel with DEF" is obviously "drinkin' the KoolAid" and doesn't know a damn thing about modern diesels from any of the major manufacturers.....

Talk to someone, anyone who owns a 2013 or newer diesel with DEF (not a coal rolling enthusiast) and you'll hace all your "prejudices" dispelled with actual "facts"...

I've never met anyone who has actually owned or owns a DEF diesel who would say such things as, "Never buy a truck that uses DEF"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:20 AM   #38
pawpaw

Had a '17 F350 with the 6.7 and the engine was so quiet compared to the diesels of the past. No smoke from the exhaust either and the DEF tank was 7.5 gallons so it held a good bit until you had to add. This truck was very fast even for the weight with the 4.10 gearing and when hooked up the fifth wheel I think it was capable of taking it to the limiter. First diesel I drove was probably in a '72 Diamond Reo that had a Cummins 270 hp engine. A little noisy but not as bad as a 2 stroke GM diesel!!
Old 04-08-2022, 06:33 AM   #39
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I owned a 1993 Ford 7.3L NA diesel. Towing through New Mexico, pulling the hills around Albuqurque, we filled the Holiday Rambler FULL of black soot because we left the roof vents open creating a vacuum in the trailer.

I owned a 1999 Ford 7.3L turbo diesel. Towing through New Mexico, pulling the hills around Alburqurque, we covered the front of the Holiday Rambler FULL of black soot, but only a slight diesel smell inside the trailer.

I own a 2015 Ford 6.7L turbo diesel with DEF. Towing through New Mexico, pulling the hills around Alburqurque, there's no soot on the trailer, no smell of diesel in the trailer. At home, the garage smells more "musty from water tracked in on the tires" than it does from "diesel soot from starting the truck to back it out"...

There is a DISTINCT difference in diesel's these days. They no longer are the sooty, smelly, STINKING engines of the "pre DEF era"...

Anybody who says "Don't buy a diesel with DEF" is obviously "drinkin' the KoolAid" and doesn't know a damn thing about modern diesels from any of the major manufacturers.....

Talk to someone, anyone who owns a 2013 or newer diesel with DEF (not a coal rolling enthusiast) and you'll hace all your "prejudices" dispelled with actual "facts"...

I've never met anyone who has actually owned or owns a DEF diesel who would say such things as, "Never buy a truck that uses DEF"....
The 2003 Duramax Dually I updated to my current vehicle from had a EFI tune and I ran it on the heavy tow setting when pulling. Going up up any grade the lower front section of the 5ver would be covered in soot had to use magic erasers to get the soot off. It also struggled on grades and I would have to slow down to 30mph on some grades and the 5ver we had was 3000lbs lighter then what I am dragging around now. The new truck pulling the same grades with the new 5ver never skipped a beat going up the same grades. "Yeah I want a old non DEF Truck that lacks power"

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:42 AM   #40
JBM3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Well during my research, I spoke to certified mechanics/technicians. All complained how much trouble these new diesels are. (they did not mention DEF) Gonna stick with my 7.3 with the high altitude tow package....no smoke even at Eisenhower tunnel and I was passing diesel BMW's.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle