Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Heater Help

We just got our trailer out of storage and put it alongside our new house. We are living in it while we remodel. I turned the heater on last night and both the heater and the roof mounted A/C unit came on. The A/C was pumping air through it's vents. It wasn't chilled air but it was cold, outside air. I used the heater the other night and I'm pretty sure it worked properly. I've used the heater in this trailer before and I'm certain only the heater came on blowing hot air through the floor vents. I tried shutting the system on and off and still the same thing. Made for a very chilly night. I got up to go to work this morning and turned the heater on and same thing. So, I decided to check the fuse panel and there was a breaker identified for the A/C so I flipped it off and the A/C did go off leaving just the heater on.

Any ideas? What could have caused this? The only thing I can think is the controller went bad for some reason.

This is my controller and this is a 2011 model trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-18_05-14-32_908.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	887  
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
cumminsdad08

i would start with the controller. it could be an issue with it internally. if you are under warrenty, see if they can hook you up with a new one. if not, you can get something that will work for decent price at any hardware store, i think. i never was crazy about these new digital thingys. i went thru two on my house, and gave up and bought the traditonal version. not a problem in 6 years. does what it needs to, gets it hot when your cold, and cold when you are hot.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
mhs4771

Yep, cycle the thermostate thru the modes and make sure the Fan Only setting is set to OFF. Seems to be a little glitch in Dometic's program that if the Fan Only setting isn't set to OFF the AC fan will run with the Furnace on. Hope this helps
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Yep, cycle the thermostate thru the modes and make sure the Fan Only setting is set to OFF. Seems to be a little glitch in Dometic's program that if the Fan Only setting isn't set to OFF the AC fan will run with the Furnace on. Hope this helps
Thanks so much. That did the trick. I assumed if the Heater mode was selected the others were off. The fan has 3 settings on my controller; AU, Lo & Hi. I cycled through as you suggested and it was on Lo so I chose AU and then down to heater and it now works fine.

I'm a happy camper again.

PS. I still hate these dang heaters. Why is it my truck and cars have heaters that can actually modulate the heat and fans fairly well and my RV heater is always either blowing hot air like crazy until you're dying or it is off and you start to freeze again? I suppose that's a rhetorical question as I doubt there is any way to improve the performance.
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
jje1960

Fan mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
Thanks so much. That did the trick. I assumed if the Heater mode was selected the others were off. The fan has 3 settings on my controller; AU, Lo & Hi. I cycled through as you suggested and it was on Lo so I chose AU and then down to heater and it now works fine.

I'm a happy camper again.

PS. I still hate these dang heaters. Why is it my truck and cars have heaters that can actually modulate the heat and fans fairly well and my RV heater is always either blowing hot air like crazy until you're dying or it is off and you start to freeze again? I suppose that's a rhetorical question as I doubt there is any way to improve the performance.
We found the fan mode issue last year. However, I've been using the airconditioner fan with the heat on, seems to spread the air throughout the unit better, once the cabin air temp comes up, that warm air is sucked in by the aircon and pushed through the vent system. while it's not as hot as the actual heater vent temp, it's not that bad and helps with heat distribution.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
mhs4771

We have the ceiling fan in the LR, put the switch in reverse and it tends to bring the warm air back down without creating any drafts.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
jje1960

Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
We have the ceiling fan in the LR, put the switch in reverse and it tends to bring the warm air back down without creating any drafts.
Neat trick!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
mikell

I was actually going to put a different fan in so slow would be slower but then discovered I could put the heat pump fan on low and that really evens things out.

Celing fan should blow the air up for heating to circulate it around the walls and down for cooling so the air hits you
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
mhs4771

Yep, that's why I put the switch in the reverse mode. Draws air up in the center and down on the outer edges of the unit. Summer, switch goes back to normal to blow air down in the center to help cool things.