Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
NCMA2019

New RV roof damage!!

Hello All!

We are new to the RV world. We purchased a 2021 Keystone Passport SL 240BHWE February of this year. 3 days after purchasing, the roof was leaking into the cabinets. We were already on our move across country at that point...

Come to find out, large razor blade slices are found down the side of the roof which ripped open more due to the traveling. We are now 2200 miles from the dealership and the new dealer/service center just informed us that the Manufacturer denied the claim..

Has anyone had or heard of similar issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D2CA8B3-B1BD-4190-8426-5D2609043DBA.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	33781   Click image for larger version

Name:	2EB12CEA-BF15-4EEB-8598-5A2F90E01F0B.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	33782   Click image for larger version

Name:	81909159-EFBA-457B-9026-4CCAABCCBFFA.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	33783   Click image for larger version

Name:	931483E2-C7B3-4BBA-821C-882D45B55B1F.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	33784  
NCMA2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Sorry it has to be under these circumstances. I’m on my phone so I can’t really blow up the pics, but the edges look jagged. Razor blade would make a “clean” cut. I’m not trying to say you did anything, but it looks a lot more like the trailer got dragged along a tree limb. I’m just guessing, but I bet that’s what keystone is saying.

If your still on the road, I would use eternabond, and once your at your final destination, contact your insurance company. Again, I’m not here to point any fingers, but I have seen a few roof issues in my 10+ yrs of working on RV’s. I truly wish you get a positive outcome, keep us informed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #3
NCMA2019

2021 Passport with roof damage!

Hello all,

We are new to the RV world. We purchased a 2021 Passport SL 240BHWE mid February of this year. 3 days after the purchase our roof was leaking into the cabinets and from the AC unit. Unfortunately, we were on our move across the country when we found the leaks. When we arrived at our new home 2200 miles from the purchasing dealer, we discovered the extent of the damage. *pictures attached* First available service appointment was 30 days out (March 30), so we purchased a waterproof cover and buttoned up the RV until appointment day. It is still at the repair dealer to this day, nearly 2 months later.

Keystone denied the warranty claim today stating we hit something. If we had, there would be damage to the mesh and wood under the roof membrane. All our travel was freeway, Truck Stop gas stations and open parking lots the whole way across country... we never came close to anything. There is NO damage to the RV other than the sliced roof. It looks like someone took a box cutter along the side of the roofline that split open during travel. We were told everything was good to go upon delivery, I don’t know if they just missed it..

Has anyone had the same experience? Any suggestions? We are fighting the denial and looking to get more people involved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C2795603-5CCF-4EBE-80E8-6F1A9889F3BA.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	33793   Click image for larger version

Name:	9D1A8C6E-64B5-4FD6-BA8D-2DE5F55CA067.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	33794   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3C98235-B5AB-4AE7-A170-E675A1034B72.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	33795   Click image for larger version

Name:	46835F65-F9B0-43C6-9120-4EF629D7E568.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	33796  
Old 05-26-2021, 05:08 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum as well and sorry to be under these circumstances as Chuck said.

Looking it seems there are 2 kinds of damage? The first pic looks as if something sharp ran an even line down the side cutting the membrane. The last picture looks like something entirely different. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Roof warranty issues are generally limited to 90 days. You bought in Feb; how close are you to that 90 days? Another issue; you bought from a dealer 2200 miles away. Your "new" dealer doesn't really have any motivation to push for your warranty claim since he didn't get the "sales" dollars and the warranty work will now have to be performed at less than their going rate I suspect.

The straight line cut might get covered, the other sure looks like ??? A good dealership that was in your corner might get all that covered (strictly my opinion) and that is a big "might". You might have a sit down with the service manager at the new dealership and talk in depth about the problem. If they are just leaving it to one of their service folks, that doesn't want to mess with it, to write it up and submit it you may have no chance at all.

There is a reason they put a 90 day timeline on the roof and that in itself is a huge reason purchasing requires, IMO, getting up there right off the bat to see what's what. Work/push on the dealership, in the end you can use Eternabond on that long straight cut looking issue; I can't really tell what is going on with the other. Looks like some sort of bubbling or rippling? Almost looks like something was drug along the edge of the roof "pulling" the TPO.
I wish you good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:08 PM   #5
NCMA2019

Once you are able to view all the pictures, you will be able to see that they are straight cuts. The rippling or pulling you see is from where the cut didn’t go all the way through and got pulled apart from vibrations/ movement from all the traveling. The mesh is cut cleanly under the membrane and there is no damage to anything other than the membrane.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMA2019 View Post
Hello all,

We are new to the RV world. We purchased a 2021 Passport SL 240BHWE mid February of this year. 3 days after the purchase our roof was leaking into the cabinets and from the AC unit. Unfortunately, we were on our move across the country when we found the leaks. When we arrived at our new home 2200 miles from the purchasing dealer, we discovered the extent of the damage. *pictures attached* First available service appointment was 30 days out (March 30), so we purchased a waterproof cover and buttoned up the RV until appointment day. It is still at the repair dealer to this day, nearly 2 months later.

Keystone denied the warranty claim today stating we hit something. If we had, there would be damage to the mesh and wood under the roof membrane. All our travel was freeway, Truck Stop gas stations and open parking lots the whole way across country... we never came close to anything. There is NO damage to the RV other than the sliced roof. It looks like someone took a box cutter along the side of the roofline that split open during travel. We were told everything was good to go upon delivery, I don’t know if they just missed it..

Has anyone had the same experience? Any suggestions? We are fighting the denial and looking to get more people involved.
I’m sorry to hear about your troubles

Is it possible it happened on the road somewhere? If it happened at the dealer or factory wouldn’t it have leaked prior to you getting it? They usually sit outside and travel across the country from Indiana to dealer. Ice damage maybe?
Maybe insurance would cover it
Old 05-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #7
NCMA2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’m sorry to hear about your troubles

Is it possible it happened on the road somewhere? If it happened at the dealer or factory wouldn’t it have leaked prior to you getting it? They usually sit outside and travel across the country from Indiana to dealer. Ice damage maybe?
Maybe insurance would cover it
Thank you. I’m not sure how it all happened. My guess is that the cuts weren’t opened up enough to allow the water in until we started traveling. The majority looks like sporadic perforations that ripped the rest of the way from friction.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #8
meaz93*

Not a great way to get 2021 started?
I think once again it does matter where and what specific dealer / service tech you work with /purchase from!
You haven't had that TT very long and it's frustrating I'm sure.
It seems that IF you did not discover the issue during the walk through it's a crap shoot-literally.
I think I would definitely get that sealed up ASAP.
Hopefully it doesn't ruin your camping plans.
I know me.....and I would be calling; texting, emailing, and ultimately making a visit back to the dealership, which I understand is way out of your area at this time!
Hopefully something good will come your way.

Name:	Screenshot_20201226-214814_Facebook.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	33801
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:23 PM   #9
jasin1

This might be a long shot but is there a slideout on the wall where the tear is? You purchased in February. Did you have any ice on the slide that may have put a tear in the roof when you retracted the slide?
Old 05-27-2021, 03:36 AM   #10
NCMA2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
This might be a long shot but is there a slideout on the wall where the tear is? You purchased in February. Did you have any ice on the slide that may have put a tear in the roof when you retracted the slide?
The long tear is above the slideout but we didn’t have any ice when the leaking occurred and when we noticed the damage. That is a wonderful thought though. 🤔

Thank you
Old 05-27-2021, 04:00 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Have you contacted your insurance company yet?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:20 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Sure looks like a "rub damage" from a tree limb or other object. Address it ASAP and call your insurance carrier.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:08 AM   #13
NH_Bulldog

The last picture looks very much like damage from something dragging along the roof edge. I had damage to my awning from someone’s RV grinding against it for about 4 ft along the length of the awning, the damage to your roof looks exactly the same. Either way, as others have said, file an insurance claim and let them handle it. Very likely to be much quicker than dealing with Keystone and a third party dealer with no skin in the game.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #14
travelin texans

I would have to agree with the others that something at some time by someone rubbed across the roof edge. At this point in time it'll be near impossible to prove when or by whom so I'd file an insurance claim & quit arguing with the dealer & manufacturer which is most likely to get no where.
Have your insurance replace it with the Rv Armor roof, or whatever the name, its sprayed on at your location & warrantied for life to you & the next owner, NO more roof worries.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a "non-expert assessment":

In photo #1, it looks like that area was cut. If it were done by a razor or knife blade, there likely would not be "varying depths of cut" and all of the surface would be cut, not "cut a bit, then scraped, then cut some more"..

In photo #2, the underside of the TPO membrane is stretched as well as cut. That's indicative of a "scrape" not a "knife/razor cut".

In photo #3, there appears to be scrape/pull marks about 1/2" under the cut membrane that's being held up by your finger. That sure looks like something (maybe a tree limb) brushed the roof and was "dragged along the edge".

In photo #4, the damage is "pulled aft" and is an obvious scrape "from something being dragged along the edge of the trailer roof/sidewall.

I would not think Keystone will claim this as a "DEFECT".. It's obviously "DAMAGE".... Read your Keystone Owner's Manual Warranty and the "Warranty download" located at: https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...ive-912017.pdf

Pay particular attention of the definition of "DAMAGE vs DEFECT" as defined in the warranty....

IMHO, you are facing an "impossible challenge" in convincing Keystone that this is a "DEFECT".... The warranty specifically excludes DAMAGE, so I don't think you'll get any relief from Keystone by claiming a warranty issue.... I don't see any way you could ever establish that this was done "before purchase" or "after purchase", so the "DAMAGE" clause would exclude any warranty repair or cause establishe Keystone/dealer responsibility"... I'm sure that somewhere you signed a statement that you've inspected the trailer upon delivery and agree that there is no damage present. So, trying to place a time and a responsible act are impossible now that 3 months and 2200 miles have passed.

I'd also suggest that you contact your insurance company and file a claim under the comprehensive part of your policy, pay the deductible and have a new roof installed. I would not accept a "patch job" as it will (not may) start to leak in the future.... A replacement roof is your only "permanent option"... There are some alternatives to a TPO roof, some others have suggested looking at those as well as the OEM replacement.... That's your choice.....

I think you're facing a losing battle trying to get Keystone to accept this as a warranty issue.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #16
notanlines

This won’t help, but even money says you bought it that way, done by the dealer, and it wasn’t caught during a PDI. Something dragged on that edge!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #17
skids

That yellow mesh would not hold the TPO membrane. It looks to me like the top may have been a bit short of mating with the side and that is why they used it. I am no trailer construction expert - if I was, I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night. When it comes to insurance claims, if they think Keystone was at fault, they will not pay. If it was accidental (by you) they will likely pay if you have such plan.

PS. Call them and let them know you are taking many pictures for a claim. I would also let them know that you will do some temporary remedial work to help preserve the components from water damage. I would think about eternabond tape if you have enough area to stick it to beyond the mesh. Be aware that that stuff is near impossible to get off again.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #18
Sarge2

[QUOTE=skids;451460]That yellow mesh would not hold the TPO membrane. It looks to me like the top may have been a bit short of mating with the side and that is why they used it.

I was watching a video the other day where they were replacing the roof on a motorhome and used that same fiberglass mess tape... so I think that it's used to cover voids in areas... might be wrong...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #19
NCMA2019

Thanks for all the wonderful insight!

We have called the selling dealer and working all the angles there as well as the current dealer talking to everyone they can. We want to exhaust all avenues that lead toward Keystone paying before we go through our insurance. That will be the final white flag we wave. But we were with the RV the entire time during our trip. We never got near any other RV’s, trees or anything that touched our RV. Everywhere else on it is in pristine condition. The vent right next to the damaged area is in perfect shape. The only damage to the RV is just those pictured.

We wouldn’t be fighting so hard for warranty work if we knew we did the damage. We would have just gone straight to the insurance company and filed a claim because that’s why we got it and accept the increase in our premium. We truly feel we aren’t responsible for the damage, especially after owning it for 3 days when the leaking in the cabinets started.

Thanks all for your valuable insight!! Keep it coming!!
Old 05-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #20
NCMA2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
That yellow mesh would not hold the TPO membrane. It looks to me like the top may have been a bit short of mating with the side and that is why they used it. I am no trailer construction expert - if I was, I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night. When it comes to insurance claims, if they think Keystone was at fault, they will not pay. If it was accidental (by you) they will likely pay if you have such plan.

PS. Call them and let them know you are taking many pictures for a claim. I would also let them know that you will do some temporary remedial work to help preserve the components from water damage. I would think about eternabond tape if you have enough area to stick it to beyond the mesh. Be aware that that stuff is near impossible to get off again.
Thank you, we are exhausting all avenues first before filing a claim. But we do have a waterproof cover over the RV while it is at the repair shop. 😊

Tags
damage, passport, roof