Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
eggs1959

Hidden pantry roller defect

Ok so keystone denied covering our torn linoleum floor caused by their poorly designed roller on our 2019 Fuzion 369. It is clearly a design flaw. I am trying to get an idea as to how many others have had this issue. Please respond what you did to resolve issue.
In the meantime I will add better roller system and repair replace flooring. TIA
eggs1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I suspect you'll have a really, really hard time trying to prove a manufacturing defect when it didn't happen until 18 months after you bought it. I hate that you have the problem but don't know that you could ever hope to do that. Did it sit in the dealer's lot for 18 months and not move? I don't think so if I recall your posts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

From my observations class action lawsuites are entered when either hundreds of thousands of people have suffered a loss or better yet, had been injured or died. They are extremly costly to pusue requiring the resources of a law firm that can invest perhaps millions of dollars and years of billable hours. Typically, thelaw firm gets the bulk of the rewards and the folks that were involvbed (the complaintents) get very little. So good luck with that.

Just being realistic.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Take a look at post #6 in the thread located here: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...class%2Aaction That post describes my personal experience with a billion dollar class action lawsuit. Don't expect to get anything from your "hard work organizing such a lawsuit" and don't expect to have your trailer repaired with "lawsuit funds". You'll likely be "old and gray" or the trailer will have been "in the junkyard so long we forgot we owned it" before anything is settled, assuming the decision results in a favorable outcome.

You're up against THOR Industries, the largest RV consortium in existance. They probably spend more on legal retainer fees annually than you'll make in a lifetime... That's not a reason to back down, rather the post above is a "reality check on who benefits from class action suits"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

To John's point above ... many years ago I was part of CAL against a software company. It was for baking up a computer on a tape drive. It was horrible and it weny in the trash and was forgotten. About 5 yrs later the lawyers contacted me and I joined the suit. About 8 years later I recsvied notice about the 5+ millon dol settlement. My portion? I won a 50% discount on a future purchaee of their software! Talk about worth the wait!DW and I got quite the lsugh over that "WIN",
Old 05-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Don't believe the guy mentioned a "class action law suit". He asked how others had resolved the problem he blames poor design on. Geesh guys... If the OP were to post some pictures perhaps some constructive advice on how to resolve the issue might help him out?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Don't believe the guy mentioned a "class action law suit". He asked how others had resolved the problem he blames poor design on. Geesh guys... If the OP were to post some pictures perhaps some constructive advice on how to resolve the issue might help him out?
Geesh George, yes he did, check the original post and see where it was editted around 8 o'clock.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Don't see anything about the post being edited nor anything 8 oclockish. Don't see anything about class action/legal. If so, sorry.

Here is what I see:
Ok so keystone denied covering our torn linoleum floor caused by their poorly designed roller on our 2019 Fuzion 369. It is clearly a design flaw. I am trying to get an idea as to how many others have had this issue. Please respond what you did to resolve issue.
In the meantime I will add better roller system and repair replace flooring. TIA
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:55 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

George, what you see is the "member's view" which doesn't reveal the edit history or any changes to the post.

He deleted the part that referenced a statement similar to: If there are enough instances of this tearing the floor and causing a tripping hazard maybe we can get an Attorney to file a class action suit. Please respond via this post and if it looks like there are enough instances I will see if it is something that can be pursued.

After comments were made by others about the futility of attempting a class action suit, he deleted that part of his initial post.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:26 AM   #10
NH_Bulldog

I am certified arbitrator and have heard hundreds of product cases. From my experience, this is not a product defect and going down that road would an effort in futility.

Manufacturers across all industries are always trying something new and different to set themselves apart from the pack. Sometimes things work good, sometimes not so much. It is up to us as consumers to decide if we are going to buy into these “experiments” based on how much risk we are willing to assume. If we stifle innovation, we would never see the next big thing. If enough people don’t adopt that “innovation” it falls by the wayside. Most of us bought an RV with our eyes open and intending to assume a certain level of risk in build quality and/or material quality.

So enough about the problem, let’s all see if we can figure out a solution! I see two issues; the end of a heavy door being supported by a hard plastic roller and that wheel wearing through a very thin vinyl-like floor covering.

My first thought is the wheel. Maybe find a more rubberized wheel with a rounded edge profile and a ballbearing axle.

Second is the floor. This is a bigger issue since the vinyl is about as this as vinyl floor can be, and it isn’t likely glued to the subfloor. As the hard plastic roller moves across the vinyl, it likely bunches up in front of the wheel a little, and over time stretches the floor covering before it gets to the point where it tears from being so thin. So we need to look at the possibility of replacing the floor covering with a thicker gauge product and making sure it is glued to the subfloor. Because of the slide it isn’t really feasible to change the entire floor but I think you could add a “feature floor” in front of the fireplace with a heavy vinyl or vinyl plank that has a look similar to stone or tile. If it does ever wear through again, it will be much easier to replace that small area.

Whatever you do, good luck and hopefully you find a solution that works for you!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:30 AM   #11
Ken / Claudia

I am a little late to the party, but any class action case against an RV will not be settled until nearly all of the ones with problems are at the RV grave yard. Easy to be beyond 5 years, likely closer to 10 plus.
If won, the complaints would end up like in Johns case. Lucky to get 15 bucks.
Lawyers fees will be at least 50% of the settlement. Think about how the lawyers find people to join, just placing adds in magazines cost a lot of money, how about TV adds. That has to be paid up front or during a settlement.
I have a retired civil lawyer friend and we had a long talk about class action suits last winter. He was involved in 2, but either case ended up being filed.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:52 AM   #12
Hondo

We just bought a 2021 Hideout 27RLS that has the same issue, we noticed it’s leaving indentation in the flooring which looks like it will eventually tear it, dealership said it’s a design flaw they did everything they could do, they put a hard plastic roller on the end, we can only assume they did that since we don’t know what the original roller looked like, but it didn’t help.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:55 AM   #13
NH_Bulldog

Hondo,, the hard plastic roller is a major part of the issue. You need a rubber roller if anything. The other issue is how thin the vinyl is and short of my suggestion to the OP there isn’t much that can be done.

Another thought I had would depend on the strength of the wall on the hinge side. If stable enough, you could run a two-piece threaded rod with a turnbuckle in the middle from the top of the hinge side diagonal to the bottom of the wheel side and that could help take some of the weight off the wheel. I have something like that on a wooden screen door at home that keeps the door square to the frame and prevents sagging.

The Laredo 284SBH FW we had considered previously had the hidden pantry and was hinged on the side attached to the bunkhouse wall so it would have worked in that floorplan anyway.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote