Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #1
Bill2e

Arcadia 3660

So I saw this at the show and been researching the heck out of it.

I really like the design.

I currently own a Cougar 27SAB tow behind and it’s been a great unit, just small.

I was fortunate to buy pre COVID and it has been trouble free.

I know all manufacturers had issues right after they opened back up, but what about the units over the last 6 months.

How’s the quality been?
Old 02-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There's an old saying: "NEVER buy a first year model car or truck"....

I'd suspect the same holds true for travel trailers and fifth wheels....

My "theory"... Let some other "lucky soul" or "unlucky chump" be the guinea pig for Keystone.... I'll wait until all the kinks are worked out before jumping on the "Hey that trailer is perfect for us".... Floorplan and features, it might well be "perfect" but will all of those components work together based on how the engineers and the purchasing department put it together from the lowest bidder ?????

There's a reason (or lots of reasons) why the Advantage was a "one year trailer" and is, although it looked so neat behind any tow vehicle, it is now either a collector's item or sits on the back row on the used trailer lot and can't be sold for what the dealer has invested in it.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:04 AM   #3
Bill2e

I like the idea of the new model.

I see where the Vantage was compared to the Airstream and didn't meet expectations.

This is a standard 5th wheel.

The only thing I ma concerned about is build quality.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:58 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Well, step up and become a beta tester for a model with a bunch of "innovations"! You may find a total trouble free camping experience but keep in mind that the folks who slap together Cougars do a zillion of them and have the drill down for the part each assembly worker plays but a new trailer? You may find that you are buying their learning curve. I personally would wait and let the line run a few times so that manufacturing these new campers has the workers in a good place for doing what they do. No doubt after a year or two of running the Arcadia they will be come MORE proficient at their assigned tasks.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #5
Laredo Tugger

Bill2e,
Please forgive me but I had to look. Initially I saw your SRW TV and a 36 ft.-5er and thought for sure that size trailer was going to come in at 15K plus, IMHO dually territory. I checked the specs and much to my surprise that trailer is only 500 lbs. heavier (fully loaded) than mine. I have the same TV as yours (2018) and have no problems at all with towing. You will enjoy the fifth wheel towing experience much more than your present TT. I also noticed the new trailer you are considering has the full turn design on the front cap. Whether you will need a slider hitch or not is debatable and may not be necessary. I have a slider and have used it on occasion but my trailer does not have the full turn designed front cap. Hitch configuration choices seem to be "all over the map" these days with the introduction of goose neck styles and easily removed hardware(s) for utilizing the truck bed. With the trailer tow package on your RAM you will have many options.
Very nice looking trailer you have your eye's on there. Good luck.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:42 AM   #6
Bill2e

Thanks Laredo,

Originally we had our eyes on a Montana 855 BR or Jayco Northpoint 377FLBH and IMO both of those need a dullly.

Keystone markets the Arcadia as a 3/4 ton camper, but I'm glad to have the 1 ton for it. I plan to go with a Reese Goose Box.

This design really looks like a winner to me with the combination of feature, room and weight.

If I can get the money right I will move forward, if not I still have my Cougar.

Interesting that the dealer who had it listed for $48K at the Tampa show just quoted me $51.5K plus shipping and junk fees the week before the Jacksonville show.

I've been talking to Keystone and they have been great, dealers no so much.

Thanks Again
Old 02-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #7
Bill2e

I like that floor plan on your Laredo - 2nd 1/2 bath is nice
Old 02-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
Thanks Laredo,

Originally we had our eyes on a Montana 855 BR or Jayco Northpoint 377FLBH and IMO both of those need a dullly.

Keystone markets the Arcadia as a 3/4 ton camper, but I'm glad to have the 1 ton for it. I plan to go with a Reese Goose Box.

This design really looks like a winner to me with the combination of feature, room and weight.

If I can get the money right I will move forward, if not I still have my Cougar.

Interesting that the dealer who had it listed for $48K at the Tampa show just quoted me $51.5K plus shipping and junk fees the week before the Jacksonville show.

Thanks Again
The trailer you have been looking at is listed as "3/4 Ton Towable" and that is about as credible as the "1/2 Ton Towable" label. Almost NO 1/2 ton pickup can safely tow the half ton and this theme advances with the 3/4 ton moniker.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #9
Bill2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The trailer you have been looking at is listed as "3/4 Ton Towable" and that is about as credible as the "1/2 Ton Towable" label. Almost NO 1/2 ton pickup can safely tow the half ton and this theme advances with the 3/4 ton moniker.
Trust me, I understand that.

It's all about payload capacity in these things. Tow Rating means nothing on a truck.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:34 AM   #10
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
I like that floor plan on your Laredo - 2nd 1/2 bath is nice
Yes the 1/2 bath is a nice addition. When I was doing what you are right now, looking at floorplans and specs, I came across my present trailer. It was used only twice (2 trips) and traded in. When I showed this floorplan to DW it was a slam dunk. That afternoon I made a call to the dealer who was 3 1/2 hours away and took a look at and bought the trailer the next day. He said (and maybe they all say this?) he could have sold the trailer four times since my call.
The second bath is nice for "her stuff" (blow dryer, curling iron, make up ect...) and is nice for guest. It also was nice to have when the foot valve went out on the other (upstairs) toilet while traveling. For it's design it is a nice "travel trailer" and fairly light comparably, but I would not attempt to full time in it because of the limited cargo capacity. I have everything I need loaded for trips and still have over 500 available pounds of cargo.
Good luck
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #11
nellie1289

Quote:
Trust me, I understand that.

It's all about payload capacity in these things. Tow Rating means nothing on a truck.
I have the 2021 3854BR(same thing as 3855BR just different fridge). I can tell you it is within the weight ratings of my ram 3500 LB SRW. 4100 lb payload, 17,000 max towing, on a 2014 limited. I rolled the scales multiple times, we are not heavy packers, and I suspect if we loaded the truck up with 5 people and firewood and all the other things people always tell me about here(overpacking), maybe we would go over, but i rolled the scales multiple times with our normal stuff in it, I am fine. And I towed it back 1000 miles from Billings Montana, truck was great. I think the newer rams actually have a higher max towing, but not payload probably . Not sure what the payload is on a SB, but I SPECIFICALLY bought this trailer as i knew it would be within the capacity of my truck Its dry pin is 2950' ish, i have seen it 3300 at the scales at my max. I the thing tows absolutely marvelous, better than my old 12k lb cougar 336BHS. I think the rotoflex hitch helps chucking so much.. I am probably inviting myself to another heavy dose of criticism here from the weight police but I will tell you on a SRW long bed, i am within ratings. I can't do a dually with my garage and I really dont want one until i full timed it some day. The dealership even had me roll the scales before I left Billings and signed on the dotted line on a test pull. Good practice by the dealer.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #12
Bill2e

I am stuck with 3620 Payload Capacity. The Short Bed cost me 400lbs.

I know the truck can pull it, but I'd be over payload.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #13
nellie1289

Quote:
I am stuck with 3620 Payload Capacity. The Short Bed cost me 400lbs.

I know the truck can pull it, but I'd be over payload.
I concur with your assessment, I wasnt positive on payload on a SB.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #14
bobbecky

Quote:
Thanks Laredo,

Thanks Again
Be careful with changing the pin box to a goose box. There has been discussions that the frame warranty would be voided with a non-approved goose box.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #15
Bill2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Be careful with changing the pin box to a goose box. There has been discussions that the frame warranty would be voided with a non-approved goose box.
I spoke to Lippert and they warranty and recommend the Reese Goose Box.

Same parent company owns both.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:18 AM   #16
Bill2e

Laid eyes in the Arcadia again. Heading back Sunday with the rest of the family to decide. It’s either going to be this or we keep our Cougar. I’m impressed with the unit.