Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
knute

battery recommendations

I just bought a 2014 keystone cougar fifth , 3 slides.
I may have to buy a couple batteries . Was looking for some recommendations and would like to have some one who knows about the power for the slides.
Does it come from just the batteries even if it is plug into power or am I ok if I have full hookup.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
LewisB

Most (all?) trailers require that at least 1 fully charged battery will be necessary to operate the slides - even when plugged into shore power. The source of power will always be the batteries, although the shore power converter will also supply some (but likely not all) of the required power. I doubt the slides will even operate without a battery.

The reason for this is the current draw (for either electric or hydraulic systems) will likely exceed the current capacity of your shore power battery charger.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:04 AM   #3
spicercars

I have had really good luck with interstate batteries.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:07 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Do not run the slides without a fully charged battery! The converter is there to charge the battery period. It will not hold up (read it will fail) under the heavy load of the slide motors or jacks. Which battery will depend on how you use the camper. If you boondock you'll need 2 6v golf cart batteries at a min. If you only use electric hook ups in campgrounds then a single 12 v battery will suffice but get the largest deep cycle battery you can fit.

The "dual purpose" battery the dealer puts in the camper is NOT a deep cycle but rather a marine battery. A true deep cycle will only have an Amp Hour rating and not a cold cranking amp rating as that is a rating only related to starting an engine.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery