Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
Javi

Mattress quest, HELP

Okay, I've always been able to sleep standing up and even known to fall asleep while carrying on a conversion, but I've met my match in this mattress... in fact it ain't even a contest, the floor of the trailer is much more comfortable.

The DW has always fussed about the beds in every trailer we've owned and I just thought it was her just fussing to be fussing.. but not this time...

We sleep on a Sealy Conform Premium at home because that's what she brung home one day and I fell asleep on it within 30 seconds...

Those of you who have replaced your mattresses in your trailers got any ideas on what I could buy that would be close to the Sealy we got at the house?

The mattress in the trailer is 70 X 80 but e can go 72" X 80" and still fit the slide.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Sorry to hear of the mattress woes Javi. They can be a pain....in the back.

I'm not sure what you have in the Sealy and I had one years ago but went to Simmons Beauty Rest. We had/have the Simmons Beauty Rest Black series in all our houses. For the RV they made nothing for it and the dealers just weren't that customer oriented. We don't/won't do foam etc. so after looking around I went to Denver Mattress. I suspect you may have some locations around you (I didn't check). I was looking and they make RV specific mattresses that might interest you. We like pocketed coils and they have that type in a 72x80 "narrow king" called the RV Luxe Mattress. Good luck finding what works and then...good sleeping!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
dutchmensport

if the Sealy is working for you in your house, why not just get one for the camper? We had Serta's in the house, and when we changed mattresses in (3 different) camper's now, we always got another Serta.

We broke ranks with our Montana though. This time we paid over $1200 for a Helix mattress and mattress cover. Now, that is one comfortable mattress. But we sleep in the camper 10 months out of the year too. We wanted something as good or better than what we have in the house. We got it! Bullseye!
Old 10-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
LHaven

Given the DW's requirements, I chose the "throw money at the problem" route and went with Tochta, who will make a mattress to exactly the dimensions and thickness you specify and ship it to you. We're both very pleased.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
rhagfo

How deep is the dresser at the foot of the bed?
We have a standard Queen and our dressed is 15” deep.
Our 5er is 96” wide on the outside.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
How deep is the dresser at the foot of the bed?
We have a standard Queen and our dressed is 15” deep.
Our 5er is 96” wide on the outside.
The Avalanche is 100" wide.. I'd get a standard King but the head of the bed slide is at best 73" wide for more than 16" before it opens out for you to squeeze into bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	30475  
Old 10-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
cynnich

We had a sleep number in our last trailer. Out keystone mattress is ok because I found a great cover for it that added padding.
cynnich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:57 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Okay, I've always been able to sleep standing up and even known to fall asleep while carrying on a conversion, but I've met my match in this mattress... in fact it ain't even a contest, the floor of the trailer is much more comfortable.

The DW has always fussed about the beds in every trailer we've owned and I just thought it was her just fussing to be fussing.. but not this time...

We sleep on a Sealy Conform Premium at home because that's what she brung home one day and I fell asleep on it within 30 seconds...

Those of you who have replaced your mattresses in your trailers got any ideas on what I could buy that would be close to the Sealy we got at the house?

The mattress in the trailer is 70 X 80 but e can go 72" X 80" and still fit the slide.
Javi, 70”x80” is a standard Queen, go buy a Sealy Conform Premium in a standard Queen and the firmness you have at home.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:24 AM   #9
JimQ

Hi Javi: we purchased our mattress from Parklane. It's very comfortable and we are happy with it. Their website is parklanervmattresses.com Good luck! Jim
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:40 AM   #10
notanlines

From the Sleep Foundation website “ Standard queen bed dimensions are 60 inches by 80 inches, or 5 feet by 6 feet, 8 inches. As this refers to the mattress.” I didn’t want you to be mislead.
The mattress that came in this Salem we just bought is so bad I would be ashamed to donate it when it is replaced before our big trip!
We’ll probably bite the bullet and drop about $1400 on another Serta something or other, same as the Suites. Good luck, Mike.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:32 AM   #11
chunker

This is one of the serious problems with "RV" sized mattress and a typical mattress thrown in by most RV manufacturers. The RV sizing is odd with no standard so it could be even cut down on angles and such. Unless you can't fit on a queen, I'd suggest that. With a 70x80 you can cut the base down and then put the residential queen on that you like. Yes as stated in a correction, REAL queen is 60x80, 60 being the width, so doing that also gives you room on the side to get in bed, make the bed, and even fashion a night stand. One of the reasons I insist and ordered my Raptor with the queen is the above reasons and I need a nightstand to put my CPAP on.

With the 70x80 you are lucky because some of the RV "king???" are only 72 in length.

EDIT when I took possession of the Raptor I had them swap out the Keystone POS queen with the Tempurpedic mattress that was in the motorhome I traded in.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:54 AM   #12
BrooksFam

We've had an RV sleep number mattress and Tuft and Needle, both were great. the T&N is heavy so isn't good if you have storage under the bed. Its hard to lift. T&G does make a thinner mattress than the one we have now so it may weight less.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #13
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Great post Javi The mattress in our RV is just ok for our average 30 nights of camping per season. Going way back in time and camping in a Ford 150 Econoline the 4" thick pc of firm foam on a pc of plywood was the best bed ever...maybe it was the young bones I'm inquiring about a custom cut 6" pc of firm memory foam as a replacement...it's the RV Kingsize which must of been made for a short King...thinking of adding 3" to overhang the end
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #14
Vet4jdc

We went to an Original Mattress Factory and they custom made us an RV king to fit in our Montana High Country. Best mattress we have ever had in 13 years of camping.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #15
scottz

I'm also looking for a mattress and watching this thread. These are the measurements I am working with:

Platform: 67"W x 76"L
Original mattress: 72"W x 80"L x 7"H (called an "RV King")
Standard king: 76"W x 80"L
Standard queen: 60"W x 80"L

I'll either go with a standard king or cut the platform down for a standard queen. An RV king would be ok, but I have not found any.

The problem with most mattresses I have looked at is the thickness; most of them are 12"+ which will be a problem in my unit.

The Denver Mattress option sounds good; checking that out.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:10 AM   #16
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I'm also looking for a mattress and watching this thread. These are the measurements I am working with:

Platform: 67"W x 76"L
Original mattress: 72"W x 80"L x 7"H (called an "RV King")
Standard king: 76"W x 80"L
Standard queen: 60"W x 80"L

I'll either go with a standard king or cut the platform down for a standard queen. An RV king would be ok, but I have not found any.

The problem with most mattresses I have looked at is the thickness; most of them are 12"+ which will be a problem in my unit.

The Denver Mattress option sounds good; checking that out.
One of the solutions I'm contemplating is cutting the plywood base down to a full queen size and getting a Sealy to match the one at home.

I don't think a 12" thick mattress would be problematic in our trailer but I'll check that when I get over there today.

I too am going to check out the Denver Mattress suggestion and see if the DW would be happy with their offering.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:45 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Two things to consider:

First, before cutting the bed platform, lift it up and measure the width/length of the platform walls. On some, the platform is too big to cut down to the 60x80" queen mattress size. If you cut the platform to that size, on some trailers, the platform walls will be outside the top and the top will fall through to the floor.... Seems obvious, but I've had to "fix" more than one trailer like that after the owner modified his bed platform.....

Second, consider that Denver Mattress Company is no longer an individual company with a "stellar product"... About 4 years ago, Lippert bought Denver Mattress and some people complain that things "went south" with that purchase.... So, buy cautiously ......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

If your trailers are like mine, I had them cut the plywood platform to fit a standard queen (60x80) before we ever saw the trailer because 1) we won't sleep on a OE mattress and 2) you can buy a standard queen mattress of any brand, anywhere and go on down the road.

I asked about cutting the platform and the storage frame beneath and they told me most now came with a standard size "platform" underneath that would fit the RV king (if that was optioned) or a residential queen. The queen gives much more room around the bed for making it which is a must per DW.

As far as Denver Mattress, we have bought from them for the RVs for many years. I know the manager of the store well and he has worked for them over 30 years. We talked about the change of "ownership" a bit and he said they still make the same mattresses, the same way in their same plants so I don't know. The other thing is that no matter the brand you are looking for; sealy, serta, simmons, foster and stearn etc. they will be carrying those more than likely as well. And, if you find a better deal somewhere than what they offer, if like our store, they can work with the pricing.

Edit: I forgot to add one thing. Don't remember the height of the new mattress but I believe it is approx. 15" - pretty tall. The weight is much more than the OE of course. Initially I thought the OE struts would be OK but after 3-4 raises they began to get weak and you had to hold the mattress/platform up. I upped the strut pressure by 20psi and they seemed to work for a while but they too got to be where they seemed weak. Installed another set and now it picks the mattress up without a problem and works just fine. I believe OE was 60psi and I ended up using 100psi. Bought from rvupgradestore as I recall. If anyone is interested in going that route I can run out and check the psi to confirm.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #19
dutchmensport

One thing to consider when going to a thicker mattress, that we discovered with our Helix mattress, is the weight. No, it doesn't affect the trailer's overall weight that much, but it now takes both of us to lift the bed to get under it. Just something you might want to consider when switching from your standard RV mattress to something different.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
One thing to consider when going to a thicker mattress, that we discovered with our Helix mattress, is the weight. No, it doesn't affect the trailer's overall weight that much, but it now takes both of us to lift the bed to get under it. Just something you might want to consider when switching from your standard RV mattress to something different.

That is the reason I kept experimenting with strut pressures. I wanted the struts to do the major part of lifting when we pulled up but not throw the mattress into the ceiling. DW or I can lift the platform with one hand. You do however need to push down on it a bit to close but nothing difficult - and far easier than fighting to get it up and keep it up.

Tags
mattress