Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2020, 03:34 AM   #1
chunker

Level up and In command issue

I just completed a 4 week trip with close to a dozen setups. On at least 3 occasions while hooking back up when I hit the "retract all" feature of the level up system, the retraction paused once or twice before finishing. The first time I noticed it I was outside picking up stuff and twice inside. On one occasion I was also retracting slides and one time picking up stuff to put in the truck. When I was inside, the In command went blank, appeared to go through a start up and was not responsive. Did that 3 times. After a bit it came back on normal. I believe the retraction process resumed but on one occasion I one out and reinitiated the retraction.

2 GP27 "marine" batteries and voltages good upper 12v range. Batteries are opaque and I an see the water levels, good. Shore power disconnected on at least the last 2 occurrences and don't remember about the others. No issues during any manual extension or retraction or auto-level procedure, just auto-retraction. I know the level up takes a lot of volts and amps and if I read this post I'd be suggesting checking wiring and grounds. I only had time to briefly look at the wiring not any comprehensive checking. I believe the on one occasion I was still hooked up to the truck since it was a rest area stop without disconnecting. I had manually extended the jacks some to achieve a "better level" for the trailer.

Any suggestions on most likely area to check or a component most likely to contribute? This is an example of why I don't like the In command since just about everything goes through it and I seriously doubt any testing was done to evaluate component compatibility before parts were selected and installed.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:47 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your unplugged and trying to retract slides at the same time, I’m betting on low voltage. GC 3.0 is voltage sensitive.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:26 AM   #3
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your unplugged and trying to retract slides at the same time, I’m betting on low voltage. GC 3.0 is voltage sensitive.
I agree with that situation however on a previous retraction and one later, the slides were already in while hooked to shore power. The last one was on battery alone and before I hooked the truck umbilical back up. I just got home yesterday afternoon and I'm still hooked to the truck so I plan to do some more auto retractions in different "connection" modes and see if there is a pattern. The first time I noticed it I was outside unhooking the slinky and all slides were in. The retraction process quit before finishing and I wasn't inside to observe the In Command panel. I don't remember if I reinitiated the retraction or if it started back up itself. I say it happened at least 3 times probably 4 or more in different electrical connection configurations.

Later I'm going to do a "trip report" on how systems worked but bottom line I'm pleased. If there's an insect version of PETA I'm sure I'm on their "hit list".
Old 09-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #4
ChuckS

The in command BCM is very sensitive to any power flux... id get a screw driver on all the terminal connections at the BCM module and open up inside power panel and put screw driver on the DC bus bar connection screws

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #5
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The in command BCM is very sensitive to any power flux... id get a screw driver on all the terminal connections at the BCM module and open up inside power panel and put screw driver on the DC bus bar connection screws
Thanks after my troubleshooting plans I'll do that after disconnecting shore power and battery disconnect just to be safe.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
chunker

My troubleshooting

Did the following. With trailer connected to shore power, 50 amp, I did the auto retract. Retraction with no issues. I then disconnected the shore power and checked voltages. In command said 12.6, Level up said 12.4, multimeter to a battery said 12.67. I didn't disconnect the batteries to check individually. Initiated the auto retract and part way through it paused. I didn't go inside but after several seconds the retract resumed and finished. I extended the jacks again and went inside for an hour to let it "rest" then try again.

Voltages at battery 12.5, Level up 12.4 and In command 12.5. Initiated auto retract and went inside to watch In command. Battery voltages reading 11.5 as retract proceeded. After a bit the retract stopped, In command went blank and couldn't turn on. After several seconds the retraction resumed with In command still blank and then stopped again. Again after several second retraction resumed and finished, meanwhile the In command screen still blank then flashing, then another "startup" with no button responses. Eventually, maybe a minute, it returned to normal function and voltage reading 12.5.

I guess unless I can find a loose connection on the BCM, back of the Level up module or some other place, I'm going to have to be connected still when doing an auto retract.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #7
travelin texans

Lippert has had issues with that system being connected to a 50 amp breaker near the pump & has recommended upgrading to an 80 amp breaker.
Mine came with an 80, but have had a couple friends that had the 50, we swapped them to the 80 & no more issues.
Sorry I got a new phone & have lost all the pictures of the before/after swap.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Lippert has had issues with that system being connected to a 50 amp breaker near the pump & has recommended upgrading to an 80 amp breaker.
Mine came with an 80, but have had a couple friends that had the 50, we swapped them to the 80 & no more issues.
OEM Supplied Circuit Interruption.
NOTE: OEM supplied breaker to be rated 50 amps-100 amps as determined
by the OEM. All OEM supplied wiring is to conform to RVIA Standards

Mine is 80 amps
Old 09-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

As that battery voltages starts to drop the amps increase. So if the breaker is marginal it will trip quicker/more frequently as the batteries drain.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #10
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I recall previous post dealing with that specific issue. I'll look at mine and see if I can find the breaker. I guess it should be somewhere near the pump and reservoir.

EDIT, went out and looked after I found a Lippert Level Up installation manual. The manual specifies a 80 amp breaker and shows a direct line from the battery to it then a line off that to a fuze. No indications what size fuze it should be. I located 2 of the resettable breakers on the left side near the control panel but can't see any markings what amp rating they are. The first one off the battery has the line to the fuze. Anyone have any knowledge where any markings might be?
Old 09-26-2020, 04:49 AM   #11
ChuckS

The current rating will either be on a side of the resettable breaker or on back side... replace with 80 amp since your still having issues ... it will cure your issues..

The hyd pump motor will draw north of 70 amps depending on outside temp...and the resettable breakers for main DC lead as well as the one that’s in line to dual polarity solenoid are cheap junk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote