Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
GypsyFamilyRV

Electrical Additions

Hi! I'm making some additions to my rig (2007 Keystone Montana Mountaineer), and would like some input (from someone with more electrical knowledge than me!).

Basically, I'm adding a battery box/bank with 4-6V batteries, with a selector switch, and keeping the original battery as a backup. In addition, I'm adding a 3000W power inverter, and a portable solar panel.

Here's a few notes:
--I've hardwired the solar connector onto my batteries as shown in the diagram, but only plug it into the panel when parked, so its not hot all the time.
--To keep it simpler for me right now, rather than wiring the inverter into the coach's fuse box panel, I plan on running my 50A cable from the coach, with appropriate 50-30 and 30-20 amp downsizers, and plugging that into the inverter. I realize I can't run my AC on that, and that's fine, I wouldn't have the battery power for that anyway.
--Provided my assumptions and the diagram are accurate, I believe the last thing that I need to do is to wire a kill switch onto my converter, so as not to create a power loop that drains the batteries.

So basically, I'm looking for advice on 3 things...does the diagram look sound, or are there any recommendations? Secondly, where/how should I wire a kill switch for the converter? Killing the breaker switch for it is not an option, as the converter is on the same breaker as the power outlets in the rig. Is it as simple as wiring a switch into the point on the drawing with the 3 question marks, and turning it off there? And lastly, should I be able to just charge the backup battery by setting the marine selector switch to setting 2 while the converter is on?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Sean
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diagram.pdf (70.7 KB, 166 views)
GypsyFamilyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Logan X

I was recently researching similar things. I found this article on four ways to install an inverter. I found the information to be very helpful. The method that looked the best to me was wiring a relay from the inverter to the converter so when the inverter goes on the relay automatically shuts off the converter. The article does a pretty good job explaining it.

What I have decided on doing is installing the Victron multi plus. It is an inverter and charger/converter. It will replace my oem charger.

I hope it works out for you, let us know what you did and how it goes.

EDIT-your 100 watt solar panel probably won’t charge a 4 battery bank very quickly or it may not be able to fully charge it.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

You can replace the CON/RECPT breaker with a piggy-back/ tandem breaker of the same amperage and just turn off the converter when needed.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
CampNBrew2

It looks like your inverter is trying to run your on-board converter/charger. It may try to charge the same batteries feeding it? You may need to de-couple the charging portion or only have your inverter run a few chosen receptacles.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Is your inverter also a charger? If so I can tell you how to make the install very simple.

Your going to need to keep the inverter as close to the battery bank as possible, or be prepared to run some LARGE cables from the battery to the inverter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
GypsyFamilyRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNBrew2 View Post
It looks like your inverter is trying to run your on-board converter/charger. It may try to charge the same batteries feeding it? You may need to de-couple the charging portion or only have your inverter run a few chosen receptacles.
No, that's why I asked where the best place to put a kill switch for the converter would be at. I would like to be able to hit the kill switch on the converter, and power on the interver when needed. I also understand that an auto-transfer switch would be an easy solution, but I'm trying to keep price down and do it myself

Thanks for the reply!

Sean
Old 05-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
GypsyFamilyRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I was recently researching similar things. I found this article on four ways to install an inverter. I found the information to be very helpful. The method that looked the best to me was wiring a relay from the inverter to the converter so when the inverter goes on the relay automatically shuts off the converter. The article does a pretty good job explaining it.

What I have decided on doing is installing the Victron multi plus. It is an inverter and charger/converter. It will replace my oem charger.

I hope it works out for you, let us know what you did and how it goes.

EDIT-your 100 watt solar panel probably won’t charge a 4 battery bank very quickly or it may not be able to fully charge it.
Yeah, I've seen the same article...I'm trying to keep it simple by simply plugging my rig into the power inverter when I need power to the outlets. I'm not too familiar with relay's (or electrical in general), but I'll take another look at the article. I'm also trying to keep costs down as much as possible.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 05-29-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
GypsyFamilyRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Is your inverter also a charger? If so I can tell you how to make the install very simple.

Your going to need to keep the inverter as close to the battery bank as possible, or be prepared to run some LARGE cables from the battery to the inverter.
No, it's not. I have the OEM coach converter, and my own after-market inverter. The inverter is physically right next to the battery box, cables are about 16 inches in length, 4ga cable.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 05-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
CampNBrew2

Hi Sean,
Generally the OEM converter is also a battery charger, so when you are plugged into 120VAC it gives you 12VDC to your 12v side and keeps your batteries charged. Is yours a 12v converter only? Not sure you can add a switch leg inside to disconnect the converter/charger.
I'm unsure how the internal wiring works on these converters. Perhaps one of the 120 breakers feeds the converter/charger section, so only a breaker needs to be turned off? (go ahead and flip the air conditioner breaker off too)
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical