Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
tommy_z

Installed a transfer switch

I wanted a clean way to run the trailer from a generator riding in the truck, so I ran a dedicated power cable and used the WFCO transfer switch.

I gotta say, that switch works surprisingly well for the low cost. The 30A panel is made to accommodate it. Although it was a snug fit, it wasn't too bad of a job if you're comfortable with wiring.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
Tbos

Sounds like an interesting project. Some pictures and additional details would be great.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
tommy_z

Not the most photogenic mod, but here are a few to give the idea.

I bought a 30A extension cord and cut off the female end. I lowered the belly pan and fed the cut end through an existing hole in the floor up to the power box. The rest of the cable was laid inside the belly pan to exit at the nose. I notched the belly pan for an exit point. I can slide the cable in to keep it out of the way, or pull out to use it.

The transfer switch mounts to the back of the distribution panel. The black cord is shore power, the orange is generator. I used some of the orange to make the short feed from the switch to breaker panel.

I allotted enough of the orange cord when I cut it to have the molded female end exit under the rear bumper. It feeds through a hole in the bed, where I added a male connector.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
wobly

Really nice mod!
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:29 AM   #5
notanlines

Very nice work! Handy as a pocket watch!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:11 AM   #6
Tbos

Looks like it came out nicely.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:42 AM   #7
cookinwitdiesel

Would you ever have an instance where both the generator and shore power would be plugged in though? Typically that is where transfer switches are used, with a "standby" power source that can automatically cut over. Because if you had just ran a 30a extension cord from the regular shore line to the truck bed you would ultimately achieve the same end goal of powering the trailer from the generator right? They you could just put in some hangers to hold the wire against the trailer frame alone the underbelly down the length of the trailer (since it seems many shore power lines attach at the rear).

You could however repurpose the switch and wiring for an inverter so that the inverter gets bypassed as soon as the system receives AC from a generator or shore power - later on down the road.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
tommy_z

Unlikely I'd personally encounter that situation. I did it this way for the safety and stealth attributes. The cable is "protected" by being fully concealed in the belly. The switch was just an inexpensive ($75) and automatic way of changing the connection. All in I spent $160.

Tags
led