Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2019, 04:22 AM   #21
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Interesting. I had not heard of them. On the other hand, I'm wondering how viable it is to use a shock to support the weight of the front end of a truck vs springs (in the lifted stage)? Not used them or heard of anyone that has but I would wonder - I always installed new springs.

On our F150 HW wanted a little more lift so I switched out the 5100 for these

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/F15095H14-2014-F150-4WD-Boss-3-Adjustable-Coilover-Kit.html

You can go 2.75” or lift without needing drop knuckles
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:48 AM   #22
montecarlo31

Interesting reading this thread. I used to think the Bilstein's were quality, that is unit I started riding with friends that spent a little more coin and ran Fox or Icon. After those experiences all I can say is that the 5100s might as well be the OEM shocks. Icon's are tuned a bit better and seem to have a better fit and Q/C over fox but both are leaps and bounds above Bilstein. I switched my Expedition (same as the F-150 only heavier) from OE to Bilstein to Fox 2.5s and I can tell you the Fox 2.5s were freaking awesome and worth every penny having said that I would probably go with Icon the next time around but they were almost 300 more for a pair at the time.

I would also replace the front shocks and slide in some UCAs from Icon, Camberg or similar while I was at it if you plan to keep the truck. You will pick up a ton of travel and reduce suspension bind. Go with the brand of your choice in 2.5s for theback as well and you will think you have a whole new truck.

Edit: I forgot to throw Carli in the mix as well. They make a great product but are more focused on the 3/4 ton and up market.
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #23
Fishsizzle

While I’ll agree that Fox and Icon are nice, throw in King as well.

But for practically, most here are after a stock ride or height.

Long travel isn’t what RVers are about for their TV. Maybe personal rides over town, or hitting trails.

You are right about Fox, not too much more money, my next truck will have fox, mainly because we hit up some knarley roads for fishing and tent camping.

But Icon are way overpriced IMO, their lifts as well. Unless you are doing off-road stuff. $600 over 5100 for a set of shocks is just about 1/2 a set of 35 tires. Many rave about Carli lifts and level kits. Their coils are supposed to be very posh, but progressively get firmer when compressed. I’ll be looking them next truck

To each their own, each shock brand serves a purpose, and a budget. Thanks for throwing out the other brands. Always good to let ones know what’s out there.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #24
Doberman

Like most have indicated above, I also went with the Bilstein 5100's last spring on my 2013 F250 Super Duty. I was able to notice a significant improvement over the OEM's that had about 73,000 on them at the time.
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #25
montecarlo31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
While I’ll agree that Fox and Icon are nice, throw in King as well.

But for practically, most here are after a stock ride or height.

Long travel isn’t what RVers are about for their TV. Maybe personal rides over town, or hitting trails.

You are right about Fox, not too much more money, my next truck will have fox, mainly because we hit up some knarley roads for fishing and tent camping.

But Icon are way overpriced IMO, their lifts as well. Unless you are doing off-road stuff. $600 over 5100 for a set of shocks is just about 1/2 a set of 35 tires. Many rave about Carli lifts and level kits. Their coils are supposed to be very posh, but progressively get firmer when compressed. I’ll be looking them next truck

To each their own, each shock brand serves a purpose, and a budget. Thanks for throwing out the other brands. Always good to let ones know what’s out there.
First I agree, to each their own. I equate using Fox/Icon/King to a premium product. If I'm buying the best truck I can why cut corners after the fact.

It's not just about long travel it's about dampening, Icon, Fox, King do it better in the same 5 to 6" of travel that everyone else gets, they do it by dialing in their setups properly. Throw in larger pistons and cooling capacity in reserve and it's easy to see that the few hundred you spend over a Bilstein is money well spent. Fox and Icon also rebuild their shocks, Bilsteins are disposable, that alone paints a picture of questionable quality.

Now if you want additional travel (which translates into better control, reduced fatigue and improved safety you can gain a ton of travel with just new shocks and UCAs without going higher. I can tell you even stock height to stock height (which is what I ran +/- .5") there was a HUGE difference in control. In a stopping situation on rough roads that may result in an extra 5, 10 or 15 feet to stop. That distance is the difference between going that was a close one and going to buy someone a new car.

Again to each their own, I wanted to throw out a premium product out there as many don't have any experience with Fox/King/Icon and vacillate over the additional costs.
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote